(almost) no recombination in flu-B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (almost) no recombination in flu-B

Homologous recombination is unlikely to play a major role in influenza B virus evolution:

...homologous recombination in influenza B viruses was very rare or absent and could not confer a substantial fitness advantage. Therefore, we conclude that homologous recombination is unlikely to play a major role in influenza B virus evolution.
    I'm interested in expert panflu damage estimates
    my current links: http://bit.ly/hFI7H ILI-charts: http://bit.ly/CcRgT

Re: (almost) no recombination in flu-B

From this paper, we can fond that homologous recombination is rare, because the coinfection is common. Homologous recombination betweem similar sequences should be similar to recombination between diffent linkages. So the recombination claimed by Nilman seems to be nonsense. We live in a world anybody can say anything about anyone

Comment

Originally posted by Hanshilinzuo View Post
      From this paper, we can fond that homologous recombination is rare, because the coinfection is common. Homologous recombination betweem similar sequences should be similar to recombination between diffent linkages. So the recombination claimed by Nilman seems to be nonsense. We live in a world anybody can say anything about anyone
      I haven't looked at influenza B, but there is no reason to think that recombination is limited to influenza A. The methods used by these groups have problems with short sequences, although Boni found high levels in NA sequences (p less that 1 in 10 billion).

The recombination is quite real.

Comment

however , influenza B is restricted to humans and I think, we agree that
        recombination in humans is rarer than in birds or swine. (for flu-A)

Comment

Originally posted by gsgs View Post
          however , influenza B is restricted to humans and I think, we agree that
          recombination in humans is rarer than in birds or swine. (for flu-A)
          No, we disagree. The OBVIOUS recombination is greater in influenza A, but I suspect influenza B is like influenza A with regard to recombination between closely related sequences, which is easily the most common form of homologous recombination (although most mistakenly assume these single nucleotide polymorphisms are due to recent copy errors).

Comment

Please. The coinfection of influenza B virus is common. If recombination between similar sequences occurs frequently, then recombination between viruses of different likages would be frequent. However, the fact is not. Although I think there are recombination events in influenza viruses, the rates should be low.
            To date, it is difficult to use SNPs to detect the recombination, because you can not clarify which is which.

Comment

Welcome Hanshilinzuo!

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by niman View Post
                  No, we disagree. The OBVIOUS recombination is greater in influenza A, but I suspect influenza B is like influenza A with regard to recombination between closely related sequences, which is easily the most common form of homologous recombination (although most mistakenly assume these single nucleotide polymorphisms are due to recent copy errors).
                  I think you guys shold note the mutation' contributions to the evolution of viruses. Althogh I do not have a profound knowlege of your method, the recombination between closely related sequences is unreliable.

Comment

when there is much obvious reassortment (full segments) and few
                    obvious recombination (~half segments) and no spreading
                    of obvious recombination, then I conclude that their role in
                    influenza evolution is small.

Comment

Please. The coinfection of influenza B virus is common. If recombination between similar sequences occurs frequently, then recombination between viruses of different likages would be frequent. However, the fact is not. Although I think there are recombination events in influenza viruses, the rates should be low.
                      To date, it is difficult to use SNPs to detect the recombination, because you can not clarify which is which.
                      Thany you.

Comment

Originally posted by gsgs View Post
                        when there is much obvious reassortment (full segments) and few
                        obvious recombination (~half segments) and no spreading
                        of obvious recombination, then I conclude that their role in
                        influenza evolution is small.
                        I quite agree with you. Homologous recombination paly a minor role in the evolution of influenza viruses. We also should pay attention to the contamination. The recombinants identified by Han et al. are reallly artifical mosaics.

Comment

Actually, you can identify SNPs, but the analysis is difficult. The example I use that is informative is G743A in the NA of H5N1. At the beginning of 2007, it appeared in isolates representing multiple clade 2.2 backgrounds (in Russia, Kuwait, Egypt, Ghana, and Nigeria).
                          In Egypt isolates were plaque purified to eliminate confusion that could be linked to mixed infections and the same change happened simultaeously on two distinct genetic backgrounds (which were in circulation earlier without the acquistion).

G743A is a dramatic example, but acquistions of SNPs are VERY common.

Another examples is H274Y in human H1N1, which has now appeared on Clade 1, 2B, and 2C genetic backgrounds (in the absence of oseltamivir).

Acquistion of SNPs via homologous recombination is the main driver of influenza evolution.

The "lab contamination" nonsense can only be used a few times. It gets very old very fast.

I will be using both examples in talks in Beijing in a few weeks

Comment

The recombination can be easily missed, because it happens many times and the result is usually a SNP or two (which you then call "random mutations"), because the most common recombination is between closely related sequences.

Comment

Originally posted by niman View Post
                              Actually, you can identify SNPs, but the analysis is difficult. The example I use that is informative is G743A in the NA of H5N1. At the beginning of 2007, it appeared in isolates representing multiple clade 2.2 backgrounds (in Russia, Kuwait, Egypt, Ghana, and Nigeria).
                              In Egypt isolates were plaque purified to eliminate confusion that could be linked to mixed infections and the same change happened simultaeously on two distinct genetic backgrounds (which were in circulation earlier without the acquistion).

G743A is a dramatic example, but acquistions of SNPs are VERY common.

Another examples is H274Y in human H1N1, which has now appeared on Clade 1, 2B, and 2C genetic backgrounds (in the absence of oseltamivir).

Acquistion of SNPs via homologous recombination is the main driver of influenza evolution.

The "lab contamination" nonsense can only be used a few times. It gets very old very fast.

I will be using both examples in talks in Beijing in a few weeks

http://www.recombinomics.com/presentations.html
                              It can be explained by random mutation. However, I think it is a good example to detect positive selection in influenza virus.

Comment

Working...
                              X