Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vaccine analysis - What do wort the current experimental vaccines ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vaccine analysis - What do wort the current experimental vaccines ?

Are Vaccines even safe? Lets start there before we blow billions of dollars.
    Last edited by Mingus; July 7, 2006, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JJackson
      Some questions.

Would I be correct in thinking that we could make three times as many shots (of seasonal flu vax) if we knew which of the serotypes would be circulating in the following year. And in your H5N1 trivalent shot we would need less than 3 times as much vaccine as they are all strains of the same serotype and so would act - to some extent - cumulatively in eliciting an immunogenic response?
      Yes, that is that I try to explain, That's my hypothesis.
      I also find corroborative data there.
      H5N1 vaccines may stimulate an immune response that is more cross-protective than what might be predicted by in vitro assays and, thus, hold potential for being stockpiled as "initial" pandemic vaccines.

1: J Infect Dis. 2006 Jul 15;194(2):159-67. Epub 2006 Jun 9. Related Articles, Links
      Click here to read
      Immunization with Reverse-Genetics-Produced H5N1 Influenza Vaccine Protects Ferrets against Homologous and Heterologous Challenge.

Govorkova EA, Webby RJ, Humberd J, Seiler JP, Webster RG.

Department of Infectious Diseases, St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, Memphis, TN, 38105-2794, USA.

Background. Multiple cases of transmission of avian H5N1 influenza viruses to humans illustrate the urgent need for an efficacious, cross-protective vaccine.Methods. Ferrets were immunized with inactivated whole-virus vaccine produced by reverse genetics with the hemagglutinin (HA) and neuraminidase genes of A/HK/213/03 virus. Ferrets received a single dose of vaccine (7 or 15 mu g of HA) with aluminum hydroxide adjuvant or 2 doses (7 mu g of HA each) without adjuvant and were challenged with 10(6) 50% egg infectious doses of A/HK/213/03, A/HK/156/97, or A/Vietnam/1203/04 virus.Results. One or 2 doses of vaccine induced a protective antibody response to the vaccine strain. All immunization regimens completely protected ferrets from challenge with homologous wild-type A/HK/213/03 virus: no clinical signs of infection were observed, virus replication was significantly reduced (P<.05) and was restricted to the upper respiratory tract, and spread of virus to the brain was prevented. Importantly, all vaccinated ferrets were protected against lethal challenge with the highly pathogenic strain A/Vietnam/1203/04. The 2-dose schedule induced higher levels of antibodies that were cross-reactive to antigenically distinct H5N1 viruses.Conclusions. H5N1 vaccines may stimulate an immune response that is more cross-protective than what might be predicted by in vitro assays and, thus, hold potential for being stockpiled as "initial" pandemic vaccines.

PMID: 16779721 [PubMed - in process]
      Did you see, they vaccinate with A/Vietnam/1203/04 and get protection for A/HK/213/03 (They are 97.2% homologeous from my vax table).

Originally posted by JJackson
      In trimming sequences after alignment is there an accepted norm as to how much trimming is done? As posted above I got slightly different homology % due to differences in they way you and I trimmed, and latter you opted to take the three shorter sequences out of the main block (if you had not you would have ended up with a very short block of data). do you trim from both ends? If so do you trim back to a 'rectangular' data block or to the *?

Thanks again Mingus.
      I forgot to mention something, I put back the wild cleavage site in two of the vax strain that haved the modified cleavage site by reverse genetic.

Then the longer you get the sequence inside of the protein sequence the better your data are.

I cut at the end codon at the end and to be like them at the begining of the DQICIGY seq because it put the S227N polymorphism at 223.
      S223N is the corresponding name of that polymorphism for H5 but I must chesk for it I have a doubt right now ?

Comment

Recent data suggest cross-protection may in some cases also be effective between sub-types ...
        So maybe your regular annual flu vax could help you against an unknown subtype, even if it is minimally.

1: Vaccine. 2006 Jun 13; [Epub ahead of print] Links
        [B]Evidence of a cross-protective immune response to influenza A in the cotton rat model.[/B]Straight TM, Ottolini MG, Prince GA, Eichelberger MC.
        Department of Clinical Investigation, Brooke Army Medical Center, 3400 Rawley E. Chambers Avenue, Fort Sam Houston, TX 78234, USA; Department of Medicine, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, 4301 Jones Bridge Road, Bethesda, MD 20814, USA.

Epidemiologic evidence suggests that cross-protective immune responses to influenza A viruses that have different hemagglutinin and neuraminidase subtypes occur in humans. This study characterized this heterosubtypic immunity in cotton rats (Sigmodon hispidus). Animals were infected with influenza A/PR/8/34 (H1N1) or A/Wuhan/359/95 (H3N2), and then challenged with A/Wuhan/359/95(H3N2) virus 4 weeks later. Viral titers, respiratory rates, and pathology of the respiratory tract following primary and secondary infection were compared. Cross-protection from heterosubtypic influenza A challenge in cotton rats was characterized by enhanced viral clearance, protection from tachypnea, a vigorous early cellular recall response, and a reduction in bronchiolar epithelial cell damage. Cross-protection was retained in steroid treated animals, in which the inflammatory recall response was minimal. Identification of the mechanisms that contribute to cross-protection in cotton rats may lead to the development of influenza vaccine strategies that are broadly protective.

PMID: 16860444 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
        Animals treated with antiinflammatory medecine also retain this cross-immunity !

So, having the regular flu vaccine just right before a pandemic outbreak may help a litle bit...maybe...coupled with use of anti-inflammatory medecine

Comment

Re: Updatable human cases homology database

Originally posted by Mingus

Funny, more human sequences have been released in the last 24H than in the last two year before.

..not sure about funny though

Comment

MINGUS , thank you for your explanations about bioedit !
            it's fantastic..........great day for me
            I 'll just have to train

Comment

need sequence data

I'm having trouble finding sequence data for the HA nucleotides of A/chicken/Indonesia/7/03.
              I checked Genbank, but no joy. If it's at Los Alamos I connot find it.

Could someone dubble check the LA H5 database?
              or suggest a very close relitive?

It was use as a challenge strain in a vaccine study made from
              the HA gene of H5N8 A/Turkey/Ireland/1378/83 ) last year.

Comment

Sonny
                ISDN 111351

Comment

JJackson'
                  Thank you so much.

Comment

Research

Evolution of H5N1 Avian Influenza Viruses in Asia
                    The World Health Organization Global Influenza Program Surveillance Network1

Comment

• An A/Anhui/1/2005-like virus
                      I'll lock the updatable human database and will produce a new one base on theses new vaccinal strain that will only include the sequences from 2006.

Comment

Now that we have more human sequences from newer clusters, how far has the current strain drifted from the vaccine?

Comment

I'm sorry, I did monitor the recent human strains for a while this summer by spaire time , but since there is so much strains available, the work is simply too huge for me. I just gave it up.

I think I'll do something with the next significative strain that cause a big cluster.
                          But for the last strains I check-up, all thoses with RESRRKKR did match the indonesian WHO vaccinal strain pretty well.

Maybe I'll do an uptade when time will allow me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mingus
                            From that thread

Vaccine Development for an Imminent Pandemic
                            Why We Should Worry, What Must We Do

....My proposed trivalent vax is of three H5 sub-type strain that each haved good cross-immunity between them.....
                            Mingus--I have only been on this board for 1 month....so I would like to ask you if your idea from the thread above has moved forward in the last 5 months?

Two specific questions:

1. Is the biggest problem still one of production capacity?
                            2. Has the trivalent vax you discuss above been produced / tested in ferrets or in mice?

THANK you Mingus for your work of love.....

4-ABBA

Comment

Originally posted by 4-ABBA
                              Mingus--I have only been on this board for 1 month....so I would like to ask you if your idea from the thread above has moved forward in the last 5 months?

Two specific questions:

1. Is the biggest problem still one of production capacity?
                              2. Has the trivalent vax you discuss above been produced / tested in ferrets or in mice?

THANK you Mingus for your work of love.....

4-ABBA
                              Question #1.: I think yes. But this is also a problem of risk investment. Investing a lot of money to preventively produce a vaccine is risky because no investor beleive the treat is imminent enaugh to invest all that money.

Question #2 : No, I exposed that idea of mine there & I hope it could be seen by those who have influence where the decisions are taken. I am just a little lab worker but I'm conviced of that idea's validity.
                              Since that time, a lot of new sequenced have been shared by China & some haved been made publicly available.
                              WHO discovered that a new clade of strain was about to spread in China & have change their experimental vaccines target.

Also, coincidentially ,I saw many article about the cross-protective immunity been published recently.

More & more data support the idea of a multi clades vaccine but the usual way of science is to experient with "pure" & very controlled condition & to only makes on change at a time & test & check.

This forum have also gained credibility & coverage since last summer so go... push that idea... I hope it will reach the right ears at the right time.

As for me, I was recently involved in an another kind of scientific project, wich I hope will goes somewhere. Peoples are hard to conviced. Some ideas are so obvious that no ones take them seriously & saw their potentials.

Ideas & science belong to humanity.

Comment

Working...
                              X