How polymerase work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How polymerase work

Yes !, the same title frame as the hemaglutinin one.

I hope as much developpement but frankly, I must admit I know a little less details about the one of influenza...
    Don't forget a teatcher learn as much as his audience when he organise his knowledge and research must be done to fill the holes he then discovered.

For those who did'nt read it, I think this tread

is the perfect introduction for that one started here.

__________________________________________________ _____________

This is just a start,

Polymerase is the general name given to a large family of enzymatic protean that have the ability to replicate nucleic acids.

Many different polymerases can start their job using differents templates and producing different kind of final product.

Many different polymerases work at different optimal temperature.

Many different polymerases have differents ways to work some check twice the match of their product some don't, some delete the protuct they found before them some other don't.

Most of the time, they

Replicate(replicases) double strand DNA to double strand DNA (For cell multiplication)

or

Transcript(transcriptases) RNA from the DNA Gene ( Activation of a gene )

But other kinds also,

Replicate circular one strand DNA to an long linear product

or

Replicate(ex: Flu's polymerase) Viral RNA to both negative sense and positive sense RNA.

or

the kind that surprised all the scientific community when they discovered it
    ( Their was a dogma in biochemistry at that time ... DNA produce RNA and never the reverse.
    Just to emulate a very well known Dr.N... I will tell "This pillar has crumble" when they discovered the Reverse Transcriptase and a whole new family of virus the retro-virus who had the ability to Reverse-transcript RNA into a double stranded DNA ! (AIDS and many cat's and monkey's virus that cause leukemia)

Some havedeven been found to replicate bacteria's DNA at as much as 72oC in thermal water sources and resist as much as 95oC without damage.

Today, this bacterial (Thermococcus aquaticus) polymerase (TaqPolymerase) is produced artificially in a process called recombinant proteins and is widely used to replicate DNA, and amplify it with the so called PCR reaction which is now a major detection and amplification tool in molecular biology. Sequencing reaction use this Taq polymerase as well.

(Note : the recombinant protein technique have nothing to do witch the process descibe by Dr.Niman, it's just the name when a protean is produce artificially by an other bacterial laboratory strain... maybe one day I'll start a little tread on this)

So polymerase is the main nucleid acid replication tool.

Re: How polymerase work

There is a drawing of a polymerase that produce messengerRNA from a double stranded chromosomal DNA. It's funny to look at the spike that uncork the helicoïdal shape of the DNA to let the polymerase have access to the genetic bases inside ( A, T, C, G )

The RNA is single strain and fold in a complex 3D shape like a scumbled linear paper.

The bricks used to polymerise the product float-free in the cell.
    (free dA, dT, dC, dG, dU ) "d" mean that in the free-form they are linked with a double phosphate residue that give to the polymerisation reaction his energy.
    Last edited by Mingus; May 30, 2006, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X