Potent immune tonic for elderly - In Laymens Term

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potent immune tonic for elderly - In Laymens Term

Frankly, I don't know where to post this.
    I feel it sould be posted somewhere else than here but I'll post it here first while I struggle with indecision.

The first goal of the Mingus lab was to work on pedagogic things.

Since a while I mostly post hard scientific stuffs.

I understand that it is seen like a little bit heavy for many.

I was stuck yesterday by a new scientific article that reveal a nice & easy way to reduce morlality & morbidity in a pandemic.

Despite that, absolutely no news have spark-out in the MSM medias about it. I so decides to write something like a small news article to relate & explain the impact of this news hard science paper.

Like if I would pretend I was a science journalist.

In fact, I am very... amateur & english is far from being my everydays language, que voulez-vous?

Anyway, I liked to write that so here it is.

Science for all.

__________________________________________________ ______________

January 4, 2007<o:p></o:p>

Science literature tracking report<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Health improvement strategies<o:p></o:p>

Potent immune tonic for elderly <o:p></o:p>

A new dietary supplement cocktail have been proven potent by a serious double-blind controlled clinical study.<o:p></o:p>
    (FluTrackersScienceNews) This week in a newly published article from the American Geriatrics Society, a <st1:placetype w:st="on">University</st1:placetype> of <st1:placename w:st="on">Florida</st1:placename> team reveal the result from a vast study amongst the <st1:state w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Florida</st1:place></st1:state>?s elderly from geriatric care facility. This second and broader study about an experimental diet supplement cocktail shows that those who take the supplement developed a better immune response against various influenza strains when challenged by vaccination. Amongst the benefits of this supplement are the higher antibody titter post-vaccination, a lower inflammatory cytokine production & a lower occurrence of fever reaction. All those tree effects are the sign of a healthier & better immune reaction. To the contrary, a low antibody production coupled with a high cytokine production (cytokine storm) are often seen in deadly H5N1 human infections.<o:p></o:p>
    Not only this study highlight the different or greater nutritional needs of elderly, it shows the importance of a good general immune health when come the time to face a viral treat.<o:p></o:p>
    The general quality of our immune response is directly linked to several nutrients that are not necessary provided by a general modern diet, especially for elderly. Despite that the two studies, don?t reveal the exact content of the nutritional formula, strong clues are provided. <o:p></o:p>
    ?Optimal enhancement of immune parameters was observed with 200 mg/d vitamin E.
    In the current study, to meet the diverse nutrient needs of an elderly population, an experimental nutritional formula containing 360 kcal/237 mL and <st1:metricconverter productid="13 g" w:st="on">13 g</st1:metricconverter> of protein plus vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, fructo-oligosaccharides, and structured triacylglycerol was formulated. Vitamins and minerals (zinc, selenium, α
    -tocopherol, vitamin C, and B vitamins) with known immune-enhancing properties in seniors were added at concentrations exceeding the dietary reference intakes.?<o:p></o:p>
    The two studies don?t give data about whether the same formula could improve the immune health of younger patients like young children who are also at risk against several pathogenic challenge. This nutritional formula raise strong hope of being one of the many inexpensive ways to help reduce morbidity & mortality in the event of an influenza pandemic. The complete divulgation of the formula which contain no newly designed or patented molecule would saves lives & help the public in their preparation efforts. <o:p></o:p>
    Mingus?<o:p></o:p>
    References & links
    Last edited by Mingus; January 6, 2007, 12:34 AM.

Re: Potent immune tonic for elderly - Laymens term science litt.review

Great summary Mingus.

It would be interesting to know what the formula used was.

One of the studies said they gave the supplements for 7 months before doing antibody test.

Comment

Re: Potent immune tonic for elderly - Laymens term science litt.review

is it assumed that the whole cocktail had the effect
      or some of it's ingredients ? (more likely IMO)

They should figure out, which...

edit: I saw the other thread now. Much material there
      Last edited by gsgs; January 5, 2007, 01:04 AM.
      I'm interested in expert panflu damage estimates
      my current links: http://bit.ly/hFI7H ILI-charts: http://bit.ly/CcRgT

Comment

Re: Potent immune tonic for elderly - In Laymens Term

The studies are focussed on vaccination and influenza A. Would be interesting to know the effect of nutrition on cancers and hemopathies in which the immune system itself is involved such as leucemias and lymphomas

Comment

Working...
        X