• Show
Clear All

• USA - Two more clusters of Dead animals found in woods

More Dead Animals Found In Woods
    Two More Unexplained Clusters Reported

POSTED: 3:58 pm CDT April 5, 2006
    UPDATED: 4:37 pm CDT April 5, 2006
    Email This Story | Print This Story
    CHICAGO -- Two more unexplained clusters of dead animals have been found at a Southland nature preserve, similar to the odd grouping of dead raccoons, dogs and opossums collected last week at Kickapoo Preserve in Riverdale.
    Officials looking into both cases say they think a person may have dumped the animal bodies but are reserving final judgment until after lab tests are completed.

Mike McCarthy, tennis coach at Rich South High School, said he came across seven or eight dead animals on a November walk along trails through the privately managed Izaak Walton Preserve in Homewood.

McCarthy said he found the bodies of coyotes, raccoons, opossums and rabbits, all within 20 feet of each other. None looked injured except for the rabbits, which had been partially eaten.

McCarthy said he found a second, similar pile after his dog led him to a wooded area of the preserve in January. Those animals were more decayed but also apparently uninjured, he said. "I was thinking maybe somebody shot them, but there were no blood trails, nothing," he said.

Homewood police and preserve officials said they received no report and didn't collect the bodies. McCarthy said the animals were gone within two days, so he didn't call in a report. But preserve president Robert Ahlf believes McCarthy and is concerned.

"What worries me is that something might be wrong in the preserve," Ahlf said. "It's bad enough if it's a dumping ground, but if someone is conducting malicious activities in the preserve, we need that stopped right now."

A local environmentalist reported finding 15 animals, including dogs, raccoons and opossums, in a 100-foot-wide area in Kickapoo last month. Cook County Forest Preserve police collected the bodies, which were sent to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign on Tuesday for examination.

Cook County Animal Control director Dan Parmer said it will take a week to get all of the answers back from the lab, but he's not sure what he'll find.
    Click here to find out more!

"It is weird," Parmer said. "I think they were put there."

Parmer said the animals found are never together in natural circumstances. "Animals that are sick usually go off by themselves to die," he said.

"Raccoons and dogs don't associate together, and opossums and dogs don't associate together. Them crawling there to die together would be the most impossible thing you can imagine. The situation there almost looks like it was staged," he said.

Ahlf speculated someone could be running a "no questions asked" animal removal service without a license, trapping nuisance animals for homeowners and then killing the animals.

Re: USA - Two more clusters of Dead animals found in woods

I notice opposums eat carrion, rats & mice, and eggs, among other things.

I believe these are the common elements in the diets of all animals listed.

The map of Kickapoo appears to be good bird habitat, but I couldn't find a map of Southland.

"The next major advancement in the health of American people will be determined by what the individual is willing to do for himself"-- John Knowles, Former President of the Rockefeller Foundation

Comment

http://www.nbc5.com/news/8435207/detail.html

15 Dead Animals Found In Forest Preserve
      Toxicology Tests To Be Performed On Dead Animals

POSTED: 7:05 am CDT April 3, 2006
      UPDATED: 7:16 am CDT April 3, 2006
      Email This Story | Print This Story
      Authorities are planning toxicology tests this week on the bodies of 15 dead animals found in the Kickapoo Forest preserve in the Chicago suburb of Riverdale.

Police recently removed the bodies of two dogs, 12 raccoons and one opossum from an area of the forest preserve about 200 yards from the Little Calumet River.

The tests will be performed at a poison control center run by the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

The man who first found the dead animals while walking in the forest preserve with his young daughter last month said he thinks there may have been more bodies, but buzzards and other scavengers may have eaten them. He said many of the dead animals appeared to have been bleeding from their mouths.

Comment

Are animals being poisoned in preserve?
        April 3, 2006
        BY JONATHAN LIPMAN Daily Southtown

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/...animals03.html

..."In all, more than a dozen dead animals lay within 100 feet of one another. None had a visible injury. Half were bleeding from the nose or mouth...."

Comment

News Video Top Right of Page:

Video Source File (Flash .flv)

Comment

Looks like H5N1 might be around Chicago.

Some tests of these animals would be nice, but I doubt we will ever be told if they come back positive.

Comment

How long does it take for tests to come back? I wonder if we someone should call:

Comment

bleeding from the mouths makes me think of poisoning with warfarin, a common rodenticide- AKA coumadin.
                Upon this gifted age, in its dark hour,
                Rains from the sky a meteoric shower
                Of facts....They lie unquestioned, uncombined.
                Wisdom enough to leech us of our ill
                Is daily spun, but there exists no loom
                To weave it into fabric..
                Edna St. Vincent Millay "Huntsman, What Quarry"
                All my posts to this forum are for fair use and educational purposes only.

Comment

Originally posted by LMonty
                  bleeding from the mouths makes me think of poisoning with warfarin, a common rodenticide- AKA coumadin.
                  That's what it sounds like. People are extremely irresponsible when it comes to disposal of rat poisons. I've seen it by the now good for us dead neighbor. He knew exactly what he was throwing out. Another neighbor's dog died, it being free to run in the fields, of a similar experience.

Comment

Working...
                  X