• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small bird flocks pose bird flu risk for humans

INTERVIEW-Small bird flocks pose bird flu risk for humans
    23 Jan 2008 12:14:05 GMT
    Source: Reuters

By Jeremy Smith

BRUSSELS, Jan 23 (Reuters) - Europe must stay alert to the risk of bird flu affecting humans and focus on small flocks kept by amateurs and small breeders as the main danger, a senior scientist said on Wednesday.

So far, the nearest that human cases of bird flu have come to the European Union is Turkey and Egypt, where four people died from the disease as recently as last month.

"The main risk we see in the European Union is not the big chicken barns because they are usually inside and surveillance is good," said Johan Giesecke, chief scientist at the Sweden-based European Centre of Disease Prevention and Control.

"It's the hobby flocks -- that's the main risk and where we fear that infection of the birds may spread to humans," he said.

"Hobby flocks" is the term given to small collections of birds, usually fewer than 200, such as pigeons, chickens or turkeys. They usually roam freely, often in backyards, and so can mix quite easily with any wild birds in the vicinity.

"You do have human cases in Indonesia, almost every week. There have been cases in Egypt ... it (bird flu) is smouldering still and there's no reason for complacency," he said.

The main fear, health experts say, is that the bird flu virus could mutate into a form that spreads easily between humans, possibly triggering a pandemic that could kill millions. So far, human-to-human transmissions have only occurred in Asia.

In the Egypt cases, where four women died within a week in December, all are thought to have resulted from exposure to dead or backyard birds. That brought Egypt's human death toll from bird flu to 19 since it first emerged in the country in 2006.

Deaths from the lethal H5N1 bird flu strain now total more than 215 globally since 2003, according to the World Health Organization (WHO) and some 350 cases of infection. Turkey reported four deaths from the strain in 2006, WHO figures show.

"If you have a hobby flock, it's really in your back yard -- they (birds) can walk up to your kitchen door. The proximity to a hobby flock is greater," Giesecke said.

"So owners of hobby flocks should be very careful to watch for the disease in their birds and they should bring sick or dead birds to the vet," he said in an interview.

Humans are usually infected with the disease through close contact with live infected birds.

Birds shed the influenza virus in their faeces and so contact with it -- for example, when visiting enclosures or markets where birds have been recently kept -- is also a possible transmission route, experts say.

"Avian influenza has been known for at least 150 years," Giesecke said.

"There have always been human cases but very few deaths. So people do get infected, they get some symptoms, often conjunctivitis and you tell that they have the virus."

(Editing by Chris Johnson)

Thomson Reuters empowers professionals with cutting-edge technology solutions informed by industry-leading content and expertise.

Re: Small bird flocks pose bird flu risk for humans

in german

Letztes Jahr habe ich über eine Studie zum Hygieneverhalten amerikanischer Geflügelhalter gelesen (leider finde ich die Quelle nicht mehr) Die Ergebnisse habe ich dennoch in Erinnerung. Um aber diese Umfrage nicht zu verfälschen behalte ich die für mich. Dennoch interessieren mich oben genannte Fragen: Damit das alles repräsentativ wird, wäre es toll, wenn möglichst viele mitmachen! PS: Fünf von zehn Antworten sind anzugeben, also Ja ODER Nein! Sorry, ich hatte eine Option vergessen

Comment

When my husband was in graduate school, we lived on a chicken ranch. Every time the door opened small birds would fly into the building to snatch some of the chickens feed. There were always flocks of wild birds flitting in and around the houses as well. I never saw anyone step into a pool of bleach and water prior to entering the chicken sheds. And though an effort was made to keep the fly population within bounds, it was never 100% effective. Birds entered the sheds, people tracked wild bird droppings into the buildings and, flies, which have been proven to carry the virus, shared the same space. So, I take the news above with a grain of salt. We have chickens and take great care they are isolated from all other birds. My birds reduce the insect population, provide manure, are entertaining and, provide us with an abundance of eggs.

These small flocks have other purposes. They are sentinels. With a little public education we will greatly increase the effectiveness of early detection and a fast response. Smallholdings too, are the only hope of preserving rare breed poultry. If we leave the chicken and egg business to the big producers, we will be cutting off our noses to spite our face. Just as Monsanto has tried to make the selling of open-pollinated seeds illegal, the poultry business is trying to corner the market in meat and eggs. Instead of limiting who can raise poultry, we should be making concerted efforts to teach backyard growers of the need for vigilance and hygiene.
      Please do not ask me for medical advice, I am not a medical doctor.

Avatar is a painting by Alan Pollack, titled, "Plague". I'm sure it was an accident that the plague girl happened to look almost like my twin.
      Thank you,
      Shannon Bennett

Comment

I wished we would have something like this in Germany ...

Comment

Coleman, it is a wonderful thing. I'd like to see it reach everyone who raises chickens. The fact sheet found at the end of the calender is included both at the web-page where I buy my chickens and, in the catalog they send out yearly. If you purchase chickens from any large breeder the information is always included. If however, you get your chickens from locals you will probably not get the sheet. I'd like to see it prominently displayed at all locations where chicken feed is sold.
          Please do not ask me for medical advice, I am not a medical doctor.

Avatar is a painting by Alan Pollack, titled, "Plague". I'm sure it was an accident that the plague girl happened to look almost like my twin.
          Thank you,
          Shannon Bennett

Comment

Yes ... Or on poultry shows ...

Comment

Working...
            X