• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HenryN
    replied
    Re: Confirmation of Avian Influenza H7N2 Infection

Originally posted by Commonground View Post
    yes, Meagan Evans. I'll see what I can do to get another link.
    Link is working again. I believ the report also indicated a clasemate had symptoms also, but tested negative and took Tamiflu. Sounds like there is little lab support to definitively say how was and wasn't infected.

Leave a comment:

• Commonground
    replied

yes, Meagan Evans. I'll see what I can do to get another link.

Leave a comment:

• HenryN
    replied

Dr Niman, much like what we are going thru in Indonesia, with the Tamiflu.
    The link no longer accesses the video. I was able to view it twice, but didn't get a chance to take notes and get the names of the student or her parents. Was the student Megan Evans?

Leave a comment:

• Commonground
    replied

Dr Niman, much like what we are going thru in Indonesia, with the Tamiflu.

Leave a comment:

• HenryN
    replied

hat-tip deadandalive

quite a good video at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/6701927.stm father of the girl in wales saying she and is wife negative he is still possitive. Look here:

VIDEO AND AUDIO NEWS
    "The tests apparently are negative but they are treating her as a positive case"
    The audio makers it clear that the test results do not really identify who was and who wasn't infected. It is likely that all three family members were infected, since both parents tested positive at least once, and the daughter has symptoms that respond to Tamiflu (and the daughter's classmates and teachers ahve been offered Tamiflu).

It seems likely that the true number of infectins will not be known until convelescent serum is tested for H7 antibodies.

The failure to get conclusive results with the PCR test, creates significant treatment, prevention, and monitoring issues.

Leave a comment:

• vinny
    replied

i dont want to stray too far from the story vibrant,but the whole country at the moent is more concerend about the litle girl thats missing,the media are turning it into a circus,perhaps its time they concentrated on other stories as well.

Leave a comment:

• Vibrant62
    replied

In the UK the fear of panic still appears to outweigh the realisation of the need for containment.

None of these stories have been front page news in the press in the UK, and stories have been buried within the papers with barely a mention. This is particulary worrisome for general awareness in the UK and to trace persons who may have been in contact, and to encourage awareness amongst poultry owners to report dying or ill chickens. Given the infective source traces back to a market, and bearing in mind the pattern of spread during the foot and mouth outbreak, this does not bode well. I cannot imagine that this was the only chicken infected, and wonder just how widespread this might be, and how many other human contacts there are to infected poultry.

International pressure needs to be brought to bear on UK authorities to be far more public about the problem, if there is to be any hope of containing it. Urgently.

Thanks for the maps hawkeye.

Leave a comment:

• Commonground
    replied

hat-tip deadandalive

quite a good video at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/6701927.stm father of the girl in wales saying she and is wife negative he is still possitive. Look here:

VIDEO AND AUDIO NEWS
    "The tests apparently are negative but they are treating her as a positive case"

Leave a comment:

• Laidback Al
    replied

School and hospitals

schoolswebdirectory.co.uk<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    School Information <o:p></o:p>
    Our Ref No : 22133 <o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    School: Ysgol Henllan <o:p></o:p>
    Street: <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:Street w:st="on"><st1:address w:st="on">Denbigh Street</st1:address></st1:Street> <o:p></o:p>
    Town: Denbigh <o:p></o:p>
    County: Denbighshire <o:p></o:p>
    Postcode: LL16 5AW<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    -------------------------------------------<o:p></o:p>
    <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:PlaceName w:st="on">Glan</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceName w:st="on">Clwyd</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType w:st="on">Hospital</st1:PlaceType></st1:place>, <st1:Street w:st="on"><st1:address w:st="on">Sarn Lane</st1:address></st1:Street>, Rhyl, Denbighshire<o:p></o:p>
    Postcode LL18 5UJ Telephone <o:p></o:p>
    01745 583910 <o:p></o:p>
    Website <o:p></o:p>
    http://www.cd-tr.wales.nhs.uk/ <o:p></o:p>
    ---------------------------<o:p></o:p>
    HOSPITAL INFORMATION:<o:p></o:p>
    Ysbyty Gwynedd<o:p></o:p>
    Penrhosgarnedd,<o:p></o:p>
    <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Bangor</st1:place></st1:City>,<o:p></o:p>
    Gwynedd.<o:p></o:p>
    LL57 2PW.<o:p></o:p>
    Tel: 01248 384384<o:p></o:p>
    (Trust Headquarters)<o:p></o:p>

Leave a comment:

• Commonground
    replied

Hawkeye - I see what you mean. Wish they would use names. I'd be happy with initials.

Leave a comment:

• vinny
    replied

the 2 hospitals are approx 35 miles apart hawkeye.

start:Bangor, LL57 2via:end:Rhyl, LL18 1total distance: 34.79 miles (55.99 km)
    est. duration: 43 minute(s)

Leave a comment:

• sharon sanders
    replied

Thanks everyone. Hawkeye - great maps!

Leave a comment:

• hawkeye
    replied

here's the other instance where I ask the same question. If I had time I would try and map the hospitals.

Staff and patients at a hospital are being treated with anti-avian flu drugs after it emerged a health worker may have been infected with the virus.

Almost 80 people at Glan Clwyd hospital in North Wales have received the Tamiflu drug as a precaution.

The move comes after it was confirmed a worker at the hospital was being treated for the H7 flu virus.

Health officials are contacting a further 69 people at Gwynedd hospital after a former patient suffered symptoms.

On Monday, schoolchildren and staff at Ysgol Henllan primary school near the Corwen farm were offered courses of anti-flu drug Tamiflu after a pupil fell ill.

Leave a comment:

• hawkeye
    replied

Commonground-
    It could be, but it reads like a separate report. It was mentioned in another article I came across....you'd think the report would point that information out. I'll try and find the other instance.

Hawkeye, could it be this child in Post #48:

A dozen schoolchildren and two members of staff at Ysgol Henllan primary school near the Corwen farm have been offered courses of anti-flu drug Tamiflu after one of the pupils is thought to have contracted the virus.

The child lives at a neighbouring property to the farm and the staff and pupils receiving treatment had all been in close proximity to the youngster.

Leave a comment:

• Commonground
    replied

Hawkeye, could it be this child in Post #48:

A dozen schoolchildren and two members of staff at Ysgol Henllan primary school near the Corwen farm have been offered courses of anti-flu drug Tamiflu after one of the pupils is thought to have contracted the virus.

The child lives at a neighbouring property to the farm and the staff and pupils receiving treatment had all been in close proximity to the youngster.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X