• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scotland: Flu? almost killed bike star

Source: http://www.scotsman.com/news/health/...star-1-2169395

Flu? almost killed bike star
    Speedway star Theo Pijper
    Published on Tuesday 13 March 2012 12:04

Speedway star Theo Pijper today told how what he thought was a bad dose of the flu almost killed him.

The 32-year-old Dutchman said he was lucky to be alive after being rushed from his home off Willowbrae Road to the ERI coughing up blood.

Doctors then revealed that rather than flu, he had in fact contracted pneumonia.

He said: ?The week it happened, my wife and two sons were suffering from flu and when I went to the doctor he told me I just had flu as well.

?But when I got home from the doctor?s I went to bed at four o?clock in the afternoon because I felt so tired and four hours later I was in an ambulance on my way to hospital after I was coughing up blood.

?I didn?t know what was going on, they had me in hospital right away, but once I was there, they got straight on it, because they knew what they were doing.?

Doctors told him he had sought help just in time, and he was kept in hospital for a week after his emergency admission in mid-February.

?I was told had I left it 24 hours longer my lungs would have filled up with blood and anything could have happened after that, it could easily have proved life-threatening, looking back it was so scary,? he said...

Re: Scotland: Flu? almost killed bike star

Thanks for posting this - I didn't even know there was flu around.

Comment

Working...
    X