X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A/H1N1: Give blood now to avoid shortages

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/sw...shortages.html

Swine flu: give blood now to avoid shortages
    The swine flu outbreak could cause shortages of blood in the winter when cases are expected to peak so blood donors are being urged to come forward now.

By Rebecca Smith, Medical Editor
    Published: 7:30AM BST 19 Aug 2009

NHS Blood and Transplant (NHSBT) is appealing to the public to give blood to avoid stocks being reduced over the autumn and winter as regular donors fall ill with swine flu.

People cannot give blood when they have flu so it is important to keep the blood banks well stocked to prepare for the second wave of swine flu expected in the autumn and winter, it was warned.

A new campaign is being launched using the message: ?Don?t wait to donate ? and bring your mate?.

Around 7,000 donations are needed each day to keep hospitals stocked with the blood they need for transfusions and treatments for people fighting cancer, having operations, women giving birth and road traffic accident victims.

Lynda Hamlyn, Chief Executive of NHS Blood and Transplant, said: ?We hope ?buddying up? will encourage more people to give blood and spread the word.

"There?s always a dip in donations over summer and people can?t give blood when they?ve got flu, so we need people to donate now. If you?ve always intended to give blood but never got around to it, please come along this summer.?

Government scientists said one in three people could contract the H1N1 swine flu virus this winter as a second wave is expected to hit.

The need for blood will is not expected to increase significantly due to the pandemic but the number of donations could drop as regular donors fall ill.

Current stocks are good for the time of year with more than 55,000 units but the banks need to be constantly resupplied as some components can only be kept for five days.

Last year the upper age limit for blood donors which was 70-years has been removed as people remain healthier later into life.

Only four per cent of the population, 1.6 million people, give blood, each donating two or three times a year.

The campaign is being supported by TV and music celebrities.

Natasha Kaplinsky, the Five news presenter, said: ?This is a cause that is extremely dear to my heart. Only a few weeks ago my friend?s baby received a blood transfusion which saved his life. Thanks to the generosity of donors he has made a fantastic recovery. I urge all you heroes out there to take your friend to give blood this summer. It takes no time at all and you just never know when someone you love might need it."

Amanda Holden, television actress and judge on Britain's Got Talent, said: ?I strongly support this campaign, and urge everyone who can to donate blood with a mate this summer. I?ll certainly be recruiting one or two ?blood buddies? of my own ? who knows, maybe I?ll get Piers to join me!?
Working...
X