Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UK. Soldier dies after contracting swine flu - Health News, Health & Families - The Independent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK. Soldier dies after contracting swine flu - Health News, Health & Families - The Independent

UK. Soldier dies after contracting swine flu - Health News, Health & Families - The Independent
    Soldier dies after contracting swine flu

By Matt Dickinson, Press Association
    Tuesday, 4 August 2009

A soldier was revealed today as the latest patient to die after getting swine flu.

Bombardier Lee Porter, from Coleraine in Northern Ireland, died last week, two weeks after contracting the bug. He had underlying health problems.

The 30-year-old member of the Royal Artillery is thought to be the first UK serviceman to have fallen victim with the bug.

According to the Sun, Bombardier Porter died on Friday at Frimley Park hospital in Surrey.

That would make him the 28th person known to have died after getting swine flu in England.

A spokesman for the Ministry of Defence said: "It is with great sadness that the MoD must confirm the death of Bombardier Lee Porter, who contracted Swine Flu two weeks ago, which complicated existing health problems.

"Our thoughts go out to his family, who were at his bedside at the time."

Friends paid tribute to him on social networking site Bebo.

Kelly Treacy wrote: "Lee, u were always so good to me and looked out for me like I was ur little sister. U were so kind to me and never let any1 give me any hassle, regardless of their rank."

Robert Deans added: "RIP, mate. You will be missed by all at 207 Bty. You were a great guy and full of life, Deansy."

And Marky said: "RIP lee, i dont think words can describe just how much that u will b missed. a one in a million guy!"

Elsewhere, a British schoolgirl was on a life support machine in a Greek hospital.

Natasha Newman, 16, from Highgate, north London, is being treated in Athens after falling ill on the island of Cephalonia.

Doctors at the intensive care unit of Penteli Children's Hospital described her condition as serious but stable.

Some 150,000 people in the UK have received the anti-viral drug Tamiflu via the National Pandemic Flu Service, which launched 10 days ago.
    -
    <cite cite="http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/soldier-dies-after-contracting-swine-flu-1767028.html">Soldier dies after contracting swine flu - Health News, Health & Families - The Independent</cite>

Re: UK. Soldier dies after contracting swine flu - Health News, Health &amp; Families - The Independent

Fit enough to serve in the military yet still had "underlying health issues"?

Comment

Re: UK. Soldier dies after contracting swine flu - Health News, Health &amp; Families - The Independent

Swine flu soldier was ?a laugh and good at his job?

By Victoria O?Hara
      Wednesday, 5 August 2009

Colleagues of Northern Ireland?s first swine flu victim have spoken of the loss that will be felt by the community following his death ? paying tribute to his professionalism and sense of fun.

Lee Porter (30) from Coleraine, contracted the deadly H1N1 virus two weeks ago.

The bombadier in the Royal Artillery is believed to be the first person from Northern Ireland and the first UK serviceman to have died from the virus.

Ann Henry, a sergeant in the TA based in Coleraine, knew him for around 12 years and said he had been dedicated to the role.

?He was a good lad, good for a laugh and good at his job,? she said.

?He was an instructor with the Army Cadets and taught children from the age of 13.

?He had been a cadet himself.?

Mrs Henry said Mr Porter, who also worked as a manual techician for the Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service, had been away with the Army Cadets in England when he fell ill.

He was rushed to Frimley Park Hospital in Surrey for treatment and placed on life support. He died on Friday.

Mrs Henry said Mr Porter?s death will be felt by his former TA colleagues.

?We usually meet every Wednesday, but this will have a big effect on people.?

Her husband Peter, who is also in the TA, said the news of his death had left friends and local people stunned.

?When we heard he was in the hospital for such a long time we thought he was getting better.

?When we heard that Lee had died we were just in shock.

?It will be hard to take in that he won?t be around.?

Louis Jones, deputy Chief Fire Officer described him as a ?valued member? of the staff.

?Lee will be greatly missed by all his NIFRS colleagues.?

Reverend Peter Fleming of Coleraine First Presbyterian Church said the town has provided support for the Porter family.

He added that they had to fly back from America after recieving the news.

?They had to return to the south of England to be with him in hospital,? he said.

?It's been exhausting, and now with this shock and bereavement they are having a very difficult and very hard time adjusting to unexpected loss of their son.?

Further tributes were also posted on the internet networking site Bebo.

Kerry Mills wrote: ?Missing you loads Lee, you were a great person, a true gent and an unbelievable friend.?

Mr Porter?s funeral is expected to be held on Saturday.

Comment

In 1918 most of the deaths were among soldiers. It will be interesting to see how people in the millitary fare as a whole over the next several months.

Comment

Coleraine soldier dies from swine flu

Tuesday, 4 August 2009

A soldier was revealed today as the latest patient to die after getting swine flu.

Bombardier Lee Porter, from Coleraine in Northern Ireland, died last week, two weeks after contracting the bug. He had underlying health problems.

The 30-year-old member of the Royal Artillery is thought to be the first UK serviceman to have fallen victim with the bug.

According to the Sun, Bombardier Porter died on Friday at Frimley Park hospital in Surrey.

That would make him the 28th person known to have died after getting swine flu in England.

A spokesman for the Ministry of Defence said: "It is with great sadness that the MoD must confirm the death of Bombardier Lee Porter, who contracted Swine Flu two weeks ago, which complicated existing health problems.

"Our thoughts go out to his family, who were at his bedside at the time."

Friends paid tribute to him on social networking site Bebo.

Kelly Treacy wrote: "Lee, u were always so good to me and looked out for me like I was ur little sister. U were so kind to me and never let any1 give me any hassle, regardless of their rank."

Robert Deans added: "RIP, mate. You will be missed by all at 207 Bty. You were a great guy and full of life, Deansy."

And Marky said: "RIP lee, i dont think words can describe just how much that u will b missed. a one in a million guy!"

Elsewhere, a British schoolgirl was on a life support machine in a Greek hospital.

Natasha Newman, 16, from Highgate, north London, is being treated in Athens after falling ill on the island of Cephalonia.

Doctors at the intensive care unit of Penteli Children's Hospital described her condition as serious but stable.

Some 150,000 people in the UK have received the anti-viral drug Tamiflu via the National Pandemic Flu Service, which launched 10 days ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogweed View Post
            Fit enough to serve in the military yet still had "underlying health issues"?
            Yeah, I read that yesterday, it annoyed me, so I didn't bother posting the article. Anybody who dies in the UK always has underlying health issues.

The last pregnant women that died, her husband was so annoyed that he had an article printed in the paper saying that there was nothing wrong with her and that she was fit and healthy.

Comment

Working...
            X