UK - English H1N1 cases "no longer rising rapidly": agency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK - English H1N1 cases "no longer rising rapidly": agency

[My comment: considering the confusion of TPTB pronouncements of the last 10 days or so in the United Kingdom, I would tend to wait until further confirmation from other knowledgeable agencies, and wait for another week after the return of all English vacationers everywhere on the planet, before I believe this... ]

English H1N1 cases "no longer rising rapidly": agency

Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:33am EDT

LONDON (Reuters) - The number of H1N1 flu cases in England may be leveling out, the Health Protection Agency said Thursday as it reported an estimated 110,000 new infections in the week ending July 26.

In the prior week, an estimated 100,000 new cases of swine flu were recorded in England -- a big jump on previous infection figures.

"Overall, across the UK the indications are that the number of cases are no longer rising rapidly and may have plateaued," the agency said in a statement.

"There is no sign that the virus is changing. It is not becoming more severe or developing resistance to anti-virals and the small number of deaths has mainly been in older children and adults with underlying risk factors."

Most cases of swine flu in Britain have been mild. The agency said 27 people had died in England after contracting the disease.

(Reporting by Farah Master, Writing by Matt Falloon)
Working...
X