X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portugal: 2010/11: 10 fatalities, 78 hospitalized

Portuguese to English translation
    Influenza A is the second victim
    H1N1 virus has led to the hospitalization of 26 people, six of them seriously. Seasonal disease clogs Emergency hospitals.

By: Alexander Panda / S?nia Yellowhammer / SC / LE / AP

The influenza virus A (H1N1) did yesterday the second victim in Portugal since September 2010. The Deputy Director General of Health, Grace Davis, confirmed the death of CM to a woman of 51 years with comorbidities and was not vaccinated, although it has indicated to receive seasonal vaccine - consisting of three virus strains, including the influenza A.

Influenza cases have thrown into chaos Emergency hospital north and south of the country, with patients to wait more than six hours for care. The unresponsiveness of health centers has led to increased demand for hospital services.

The first death associated with the pandemic was a man of 37 years, also with other diseases, in late 2010. Since September - beginning of flu season - the H1N1 has forced the hospitalization of 26 people, six of them in intensive care. However, the predominant circulating virus is B that has killed a 19 year-old apparently healthy. Seasonal influenza kills between Portuguese from 1500 to 2000 per year, mostly elderly. In Portugal, the Ministry of Health recorded 69 deaths due to H1N1 in 2009.

Currently, hospitals are receiving patients with two types of flu. "We have two circulating viruses, A and B. The first attacks more young people, although we are not sure that it is the H1N1 virus, because they are analyzed only those cases with associated problems. The second attack the more elderly," Grace Freitas explains. The official stressed that nothing has occurred that indicates a mutation of the H1N1 virus that makes it more dangerous.

The rush to hospitals has forced users to wait hours. "I've never seen anything like it. I spent six hours in hospital. The doctors do what they can, but I had to reinforce the teams." The outburst is John Smith, a resident in Matosinhos and that was when Pedro Hispano Hospital to treat the flu. Hospital source told the CM that the ER receive on average 200 patients a day, but since the beginning of the week, services are treating 350 patients per day.
    continues at; http://www.cmjornal.xl.pt/detalhe/no...tima-220222750
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Re: Portugal: 2010/11: 3 fatalities ERs "thrown into chaos"

Portuguese to English translation
    The three flu A deaths confirmed
    Catarina Duarte
    07/01/11 19:34

-------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------
    . The Directorate General of Health today confirmed the death of three people from the flu A and one due to influenza B, a strain with the highest incidence among the elderly.

According to a statement posted on the website of DGS, since the beginning of flu season 2010-2011 have already been reported 38 hospitalizations due to influenza, including 33 porv?rus A (H1N1), four B virus and one for A (H3N2).

These cases were admitted to 17 intensive care patients, of whom 13 are still hospitalized. Four patients died and five were discharged, confirms the DGS.

The Directorate General of Health urges citizens to get vaccinated, this being "the best method of prevention" and remember that you must follow rules of etiquette respiratory, cough or sneeze into a disposable tissue or the forearm and hand washing.
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Re: Portugal: 2010/11: 4 fatalities

machine translation

Figures updated by DGS
      Ten people have died of influenza A since October in Portugal
      01/19/2011 - 21:01 By Daniela Carneiro Adonis

'AnteriorDesde October, influenza A (H1N1) has killed ten people and led to the hospitalization of 78, announced the Directorate General of Health (DH).

Nevertheless, the number of deaths is far lower than last winter, when more than 120 people died in Portugal.

The Directorate General of Health reports that influenza activity in Europe has been moderate and has been characterized by two stages: initially the predominant virus strain B, but the first week of January there was a change and began to dominate the strain A .

According to the DGS, some European countries like Spain and France, have reported the occurrence of several serious cases of patients infected with influenza A in recent weeks, with hospitalization and death in intensive care. Most patients are young people between 18 and 35 and have risk factors such as chronic respiratory disease, obesity, pregnancy or immunosuppression. Nevertheless, the organization notes that influenza activity in these countries has remained below the threshold set for the seasonal epidemic.

Comment

Working...
      X