• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hundreds queue for swine flu vaccine

Sunday, 3rd January 2010
    Hundreds queue for swine flu vaccine

Claudia Calleja

Photo: Jason Borg.

Just under 3,000 chronic patients and pregnant women flocked to health centres yesterday to take the swine flu vaccine against the dreaded virus.

Following the arrival of 100,000 doses earlier in the week, the vaccination of pregnant women and chronic patients over six months old started yesterday and will go on until January 10. Most people who queued to be jabbed were confident the vaccine was the safer option.

In a statement, the health authorities said 2,939 had been vaccinated up till 1 p.m. yesterday.

However, some were still concerned about possible side effects despite the health authority's insistence that the vaccine was safe.

The mother of a five-year-old boy with kidney problems said she did not think twice before getting her son vaccinated.

"I'm not going to take any chances with my son. It is not the vaccine that I fear but the virus. The health authorities are saying we should take it so I decided to comply," the mother said outside the Gżira health centre.

Several others decided to take the jab on the strong recommendation of the health authorities.

"I want to make sure I'm safe," a 52-year-old asthmatic woman said. "I am a teacher and I get to meet many people. I don't want to take risks since we've seen cases of people who died of swine flu," she said.

Four people have died since the virus was detected in Malta last June.
    The first three were considered to fall within the vulnerable group of people who suffered from other conditions. However, the most recent victim, 32-year-old Justin Chircop, did not suffer from any such conditions.

"It's not worth risking it. You never know how it will impact you, so I'm getting injected," another woman said.

Similarly, a 62-year-old diabetic grandmother, decided to take the jab for her safety and to ensure she does not pass on the virus to any of her grandchildren. Then there were those who did their homework before heading for the health centres.

"At first I was worried about possible side effects since I was concerned the vaccine was not tested properly. But then I read about it and consulted with several doctors who suggested I take it," said an elderly diabetic woman at the Floriana centre.

The mother of an asthmatic one-year-old also did some research before taking her son for the jab. "After evaluating the pros and cons I decided it was best to vaccinate him," she said.

A pregnant 29-year-old woman, due this month, admitted she was very concerned about contracting the virus so she decided to take this precautionary measure.

"To be honest I'm still a bit worried about possible side effects on my baby, but I really didn't want to take the risk of not taking it," she said.

The mother of a three-year-old boy who suffers from asthma also decided to get him inoculated. "Just yesterday he had an asthma attack. I'm worried that such attacks could be made worse if he gets swine flu. For him the seasonal influenza jab is a must, so I decided not to take any chances."

Sitting near his mother, the boy added: "I'm not scared... The injection will make me stronger."

The next consignment of the vaccine is expected to arrive towards the beginning of March and will cover the rest of the population.

Further information may be obtained by contacting a family doctor or calling helpline 2132 4086.

Just under 3,000 chronic patients and pregnant women flocked to health centres yesterday to take the swine flu vaccine against the dreaded virus. Following t...
    "Safety and security don't just happen, they are the result of collective consensus and public investment. We owe our children, the most vulnerable citizens in our society, a life free of violence and fear."
    -Nelson Mandela
Working...
X