Ireland Influenza 2016-17: 36 fatalities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ireland Influenza 2016-17: 36 fatalities

The flu has caused 29 deaths and 835 hospitalisations this winter and will remain for up to four weeks

?There is still a significant amount of flu in our community ? this is higher than it has been in a number of years.?

6 hours ago

THERE HAVE BEEN 29 deaths this winter due to the flu, the vast majority of these (90%) were in the 65 and over age group.
    However, the highest rates of flu are in the 16-64 age group, followed by the 65s and over.
    Over the past week 290 patients were hospitalised with the virus, bringing the total number of people hospitalised for this season to 835.
    “There is still a significant amount of flu in our community … this is higher than it has been in a number of years.”
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Seven more flu deaths takes toll to 36

Eilish O'Regan Twitter
    EMAIL
    PUBLISHED
    27/01/2017 | 02:300 COMMENTSSHARE

However, the good news is that flu is on the wane, according to the HSE.
    Dr Kevin Kelleher, HSE assistant national director of public health, said the rate has dropped below the medium-intensity level for the first time in seven weeks.

He warned the main strain of flu circulating is predominantly effecting the over-65s.
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Working...
    X