X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French swine flu accelerating, 22 dead in a week

Source: http://www.javno.com/en-world/french...-a-week_283568

French swine flu accelerating, 22 dead in a week
    Around 750,000 people out of a total population of 62 million have been vaccinated, Bachelot said.

Swine flu killed 22 more people over the past week in France, the health minister said Thursday, warning that the spread of the virus was speeding up here.
    • We have already said it, but this time, in a more brutal fashion, the H1N1 epidemic is accelerating - Roselyne Bachelot told reporters, adding that the death toll in mainland France now stood at 68.
    • We were on a rhythm of eight to 10 new deaths a week - before the latest development, she said.

The minister's comments came in the same week that the French suddenly started besieging flu vaccination centres after initially failing to take much interest in having themselves inoculated.

Around 750,000 people out of a total population of 62 million have been vaccinated, Bachelot said.

The education ministry said Thursday it has shut down 353 schools where pupils were found to be infected with the flu virus in a bid to stop its spread.

Swine flu first emerged in Mexico in April and has been blamed for nearly 7,000 deaths worldwide according to the World Health Organisation, with most of the victims in the Americas.
    "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta
Working...
X