Denmark - Dane with novel H1N1 found resistant to Tamiflu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Denmark - Dane with novel H1N1 found resistant to Tamiflu

I was wondering if it is still possible to be treated with Tamilu after exposure and still develop th flu, I mean it is not 100 percent effedctive at stopping it right? So this may not be resisance per say developed in the flu but just a time when using tamiflu to stop getting it did not work. Is this correct? Thanks

Comment

This resistant strain will spread. Just like all flu does.

This is the truth. Period.

Comment

Originally posted by tsspar View Post
        I was wondering if it is still possible to be treated with Tamilu after exposure and still develop th flu, I mean it is not 100 percent effedctive at stopping it right? So this may not be resisance per say developed in the flu but just a time when using tamiflu to stop getting it did not work. Is this correct? Thanks
        It is possible for different individuals to respond differently to the same treatment, however, they are saying that novel H1N1 has mutated in this case.

Apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by tsspar View Post
          As I understand it Tamiflu (and Relenza) do not stop getting the infection. They are neuraminidase inhibitors, neuraminidase being the protein N in the subtype H1N1, that allows the reproduced virus to exit (kill) the host cell. So the virus still infects cells in the body and replicates, but they don't successfully leave the cell (or at least in large numbers) to propogate the infection.
          Wotan (pronounced Voton with the ton rhyming with on) - The German Odin, ruler of the Aesir.

I am not a doctor, virologist, biologist, etc. I am a layman with a background in the physical sciences.

Attempting to blog an nascent pandemic: Diary of a Flu Year

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchy View Post
            Articles say no spreading of this resistant strain was found.

Articles also say the man was treated with Tamiflu first, but kept displaying symptoms, than he was treated with Relenza. And was cured.
            It was not found in the treated patient.

Doesn't statement of contact with another patient and prevented Tamiflu treatment mean that the second person was treated with Relenza becasue tamiflu resistance was found in H1N1 in first person?

Comment

Originally posted by niman View Post
              It was not found in the treated patient.

Doesn't statement of contact with another patient and prevented Tamiflu treatment mean that the second person was treated with Relenza becasue tamiflu resistance was found in H1N1 in first person?
              The articles are not a 100% clear. The way I understand it is this:

a man who was in contact with an infected person was treated with Tamiflu, but still kept having symptoms. Apparently a sample was taken and tested.
              Relenza did the job Tamiflu supposed to do.

No mentioning of testresults of the first person.
              ?Addressing chronic disease is an issue of human rights ? that must be our call to arms"
              Richard Horton, Editor-in-Chief The Lancet

~~~~ Twitter:@GertvanderHoek ~~~ GertvanderHoek@gmail.com ~~~

Comment

Reading the original danish news (It's very similar to swedish) they say that the person which the mutation had been found in had been in close contact with another infected person and was therefore put on preventive tamiflu but still developed symptoms, so he was instead treated with relenza and recovered. Doesn't mention much details beyond that.

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchy View Post
                  The articles are not a 100% clear. The way I understand it is this:

a man who was in contact with an infected person was treated with Tamiflu, but still kept having symptoms. Apparently a sample was taken and tested.
                  Relenza did the job Tamiflu supposed to do.

No mentioning of testresults of the first person.
                  I read the statement of

"The infected Dane had been in close contact with another infected person, and was therefore prevented treatment with Tamiflu."

to mean that the first person was found to have Tamiflu resistant H1N1, so when the second person was infected, he (the second person) was treated with Relenza instead of Tamiflu and was cured.

Comment

Originally posted by niman View Post
                    I read the statement of

"The infected Dane had been in close contact with another infected person, and was therefore prevented treatment with Tamiflu."

to mean that the first person was found to have Tamiflu resistant H1N1, so when the second person was infected, he (the second person) was treated with Relenza instead of Tamiflu and was cured.
                    No, to original press release says that the person which they found the mutation in first had been treated by preventive tamiflu and when he still developed symptoms they switched to relenza.

"Den smittede dansker havde været i tæt kontakt med en anden smittet person og var derfor i forebyggede behandling med Tamiflu. Alligevel fik personen influenzasymptomer og er i stedet behandlet med en anden type influenzamedicin, Relenza"

Comment

Originally posted by Aruna View Post
                      Reading the original danish news (It's very similar to swedish) they say that the person which the mutation had been found in had been in close contact with another infected person and was therefore put on preventive tamiflu but still developed symptoms, so he was instead treated with relenza and recovered. Doesn't mention much details beyond that.
                      Thanks Aruna!

Comment

Thanks Aruna and welcome to Flutrackers !
                        ?Addressing chronic disease is an issue of human rights ? that must be our call to arms"

Comment

Originally posted by Aruna View Post
                          No, to original press release says that the person which they found the mutation in first had been treated by preventive tamiflu and when he still developed symptoms they switched to relenza.

"Den smittede dansker havde været i tæt kontakt med en anden smittet person og var derfor i forebyggede behandling med Tamiflu. Alligevel fik personen influenzasymptomer og er i stedet behandlet med en anden type influenzamedicin, Relenza"
                          Thanks, then this sounds like the first case of resisatnce in H5N1 in Vietnam (sister of infected patient was given prophylactic dose, which led to resistance and she recovered when dose was increased to treatment dose). This would not demonstrate that resistant H1N1 was fit (but would indicate that Tamiflu blankets, as well as widespread use of Tamiflu WILL be a problem).

Comment

That is the original press release from the danish version of cdc, it's a bit more detailed.

Says as before, person was in close contacted with another dane who had tested positive and was given tamiflu, got sick and tested positive for h1n1, was treated with relenza and has now fully recovered. Further analyze found that the virus had mutated and was resistant to tamiflu but not relenza. Says their evaluation of mutation shows no difference in terms virulence or severity. Says it's common knowledge that flu viruses can spontaneously mutate but there are no sign of further spread of the mutated virus and no reason to change the treatment guidelines for the flu. The head of cdc says in another article they don't expect that the mutation "exists anymore" but doesn't rule out there will be other mutations in the future.

Comment

Official press release, credits theforeigner for the link.

caution google translated, please correct if translation is wrong.

29. June 2009 -

Resistance of pandemic influenza A H1N1v detected in Denmark

The first case of resistance to oseltamivir (Tamiflu ?) in the pandemic influenza A H1N1v found in Denmark. This is the first identified cases worldwide.

It is well known and expected that influenza virus can mutate spontaneously. Resistance has not changed the virus' ability to infect or cause disease, the assessment is that they are a relatively mild flu.

The person is now healthy, and there is no further evidence of infection with resistant virus. The infection was in preventative treatment with oseltamivir (Tamiflu ?) because of close contact with a case that was infected abroad.

Yet he had flu symptoms. A test showed that the person was infected with influenza A H1N1v. Further studies at Statens Serum Institut has now shown that the virus has mutated. It is resistant to the antiviral agent oseltamivir (Tamiflu ?), while zanamivir (Relenza ?) can continue to be used for treatment.

World Health Organization Calls on the basis of the Danish case for increased attention to the possibility of development of resistance in the pandemic influenza A H1N1v.

A similar development of resistance to oseltamivir (Tamiflu ?) is also seen in the winter influenza A H1N1, which has circulated the past two winter seasons.

Each fund in Denmark is mentioned not unexpected. It does not constitute a risk to public health and does not need to change the recommendations for the use of oseltamivir (Tamiflu ?).

In Denmark the situation continues to follow closely in the monitoring of disease incidence and investigation of all isolated influenza A H1N1v.

Comment

Thanks Aruna!

I have a pause, and didn't saw all the already present answers, before I posted my previous questions.

Wow folks, you screen, drag, answer and type posts warp-speed! Thanks and bravo'.
                                (how many stunts you have )

So the last wide bulet "faked".
                                Tamiflu bye, bye.

Interesting would be how many "close infected patients" have the new mutation now.
                                Last edited by tropical; June 29, 2009, 10:16 AM. Reason: in the meantine wroted answers at posts #15-31

Comment

Working...
                                X