Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some observations from the Aegean

Hello all,
    It's been a while since I posted - nothing "major" to post, but wanted to check in and say hi.

I have been down south on vacation for a while and here's what I've seen..

No fowl around whatsoever. Keep in mind, I was in a touristic area and did not come across rural locales much, but last year, restaurants that we went to had chickens clucking around etc. None of that this year. Lots of bugs, fleas, and especially scorpions due to the culling I guess. No live poultry being sold anywhere that I was in the open air bazaars that I went to. People are still on watch, though somewhat less alarmed.

We'll just have to wait it out till October...

Hoping we'll have no casualties this time around.. Regards, z.

Re: Some observations from the Aegean

Hi Zkurmus,

Seems Turkey took the Bull by the Horns and has managed to deal with 'live market' and free poultry around.

It must be cited as an example that us & customs can change.

Nice to hear from you.

Comment

snip from Z post above> Lots of bugs, fleas, and especially scorpions due to the culling I guess.

Yes, birds consume tons of insects. With hundreds of millions of bird die offs and culls we can expect to see a steep rise in insect populations that may impact food production and serve as vectors to spread disease.

The balance tilted, there will be problems from insects.

Comment

Interesting point: in the UK this year there are enormous numbers of grass hoppers and a variety of other insects in the area I live in, and not too many birds that I have seen. I wonder how widespread this is in areas where there have been bird die-offs, and areas where the migratory bird population has perhaps died off elsewhere, reducing overall population numbers.

Anyone noticed a similar increase in numbers of insect life elsewhere, even if there has not been a major bird flu problem as yet? Is there any ornithological body that estimates national bird populations to see how great a reduction there has been in the major wild bird species?

Comment

Interesting point indeed.

I am up at the 47th in Qu?bec, North America.

We saw a lot less of birds this spring and summer and of course..a lot more black flies. Both issues has been confirmed by elderly in a 500 miles stretch, that is less birds, more insects.

Maybe Corn or Vibrant62 could start a thread on the relation between insects and birds, because it is indeed noticeable.

Comment

Originally posted by zkurmus
            Hello all,
            It's been a while since I posted - nothing "major" to post, but wanted to check in and say hi.

I have been down south on vacation for a while and here's what I've seen..

No fowl around whatsoever. Keep in mind, I was in a touristic area and did not come across rural locales much, but last year, restaurants that we went to had chickens clucking around etc. None of that this year. Lots of bugs, fleas, and especially scorpions due to the culling I guess. No live poultry being sold anywhere that I was in the open air bazaars that I went to. People are still on watch, though somewhat less alarmed.

We'll just have to wait it out till October...

Hoping we'll have no casualties this time around.. Regards, z.
            Any updates from Turkey? Egypt appears to have some bird flu activity.

Comment

Re Insects & Birds

While I have not seen any reports indicating bird deaths on a scale likely to have a significant impact on insect populations there have been numerous reports linked to climate change.

Many migratory birds time their arrival to their breeding zone to coincide with the emergence of the insects which they use to raise their chicks. Due to changes in the start date of prey emergence some of these bird populations are having problems with synchronization which leads to more insects in the year in question and less breeding success which in turn will reduce the numbers of birds in subsequent years, so exacerbating the situation. The relatively long life cycles of birds relative to their prey means that if adaption to the new environmental status quo is through genetic selection pressure - as opposed to learnt behavioral change - then the birds will always adapt more slowly than their insect prey.

One area where I would expect to see a fairly quick impact on insect pest populations is if pressure is bought to reduce the prevalence of back yard poultry keeping in favor of large scale poultry farming. Remove chickens from around dwellings and you will get an increase in vegetation and an explosion of ticks and other insect around the houses (and off course the diseases they bring with them).

Comment

Hello zkurmus,
                Good to see your post and thanks for sharing your observations.

I was just commenting to a friend the other day that I have never seen so many grasshoppers and crickets in my yard as I have this summer. Lots of toads. We have several squirrel nests but no bird nests that I can find. Of course that may be due to having 3 cats on patrol.

P.S. I live in one of the major bird flyways and our state serves as an important feeding and breeding ground. Huge poultry industry as well.
                "In the beginning of change, the patriot is a scarce man (or woman https://flutrackers.com/forum/core/i...ilies/wink.png), and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for it then costs nothing to be a patriot."- Mark TwainReason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it. -Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
                X