Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swiss told to stock up on bird flu mask

Swiss told to stock up on bird flu masks

The Federal Health Office has issued a list of personal hygiene guidelines for the Swiss population in the event of a bird flu pandemic among humans.

The main recommendation is for members of the public to stock up on 50 protective masks each, which are available in shops for a few francs.

The government said on Tuesday that the responsibility for being prepared for an outbreak was shared between the public and the authorities.

It said the authorities were responsible for vaccinations, other medicines and the general monitoring of the disease; the public were called on to follow measures that could limit the risk of infection and slow down the spread of a pandemic.

No order to wear masks would be given until after an actual outbreak, according to the Federal Health Office.

Additional personal hygiene recommendations : in the event of a pandemic : include the regular washing of hands with soap, using a tissue when coughing or sneezing which is then immediately thrown away, and avoiding handshakes.

Re: Swiss told to stock up on bird flu mask

I'm sure it's in the FT archives somewhere, but I'm also sure the info is on the tip of some readers' tongue...

Has it been decided which mask the public ought to purchase?

Is there a list of North American distributors?

I there a list of North American manufacturers? or those gearing up to manufacture these things?

J.

Comment

How interesting! The Swiss -- always prepared!

There doesn't seem to be anything specific about what sort of mask to buy on the Department of Health's website. It just says that the masks are now available at pharmacies(?) (Detailhandels) and only cost a few francs each (1 Swiss franc = ca. US$0.80).

Here's a link to a Swiss version of the article Hawkeye posted...

...and below I've attached a photo that went along with the article, so I assume they're talking about these sorts of masks -- looks like it could be some sort of N95 mask. ??

Here, also, is the announcement (in Swiss) from the Swiss Department of Health (Bundesamt für Gesundheit):

Click image for larger version

Name:	maske.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	648419
      Last edited by Theresa42; May 15, 2007, 03:36 PM.
      ...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I hope they clarify that if any mask is going to be used it should be N95.

Comment

Originally posted by hawkeye View Post
          I hope they clarify that if any mask is going to be used it should be N95.
          You know -- I bet the pharmacies in Switzerland are highly regulated (as in other countries in Europe -- particularly Germanic countries) -- and that the masks that are "now available" in those pharmacies have been directly recommended -- possibly even directly ordered -- by the government. There prolly won't be much variety of masks in the pharmacies, is what I'm trying to say.

Let's just hope, like you say, that the gov't ordered in N95 masks.
          ...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Google German-English translation of announcement from the Dept of Health (Bundesamt f?r Gesundheit) -- it's not quite a Swiss-German translation, but it's close!:

The population is requested to put on for the Pandemiefall a supply of hygiene masks

Berne, 15.05.2007 - The Federal Office for health (BAG) published a set of recommendations for the personal hygiene in the Pandemiefall. These personal hygiene recommendations can limit the infection risk and possibly slow the spreading down of a pandemischen flu. In this context the BAG of the population recommends to put on a supply by fifty protective masks per person. They are now in the offer of the Detailhandels [pharmacies?] and are there available for some francs.

The preparation for a Grippepandemie lies in the common responsibility of population and authorities. These are in particular responsible for the inoculation, the medicines and the monitoring of the illness. The population is requested to supply itself with protective masks since in the Pandemiefall delivery bottlenecks are inevitable.

Summarized in the Pandemiefall the following individual hygiene measures are recommended:

- Regular hand washing with soap
            - For coughing and sneezing use a paper handkerchief and dispose afterwards
            - Handvibrate [shaking hands?] avoid
            - Hygiene mask carry, where this by the authorities will be recommended.

In the Pandemiefall carrying a protective mask can ensure a increased protection level. The exact situations, in which carrying the protective masks in the public is recommended, can be defined and announced only after occurance of of the pandemischen virus. In this connection is recommended to the population to put on a supply by 50 protective masks per person in order to carry it at given time and on recommendation of the authorities

The occurrence of a Grippepandemie is still current; the risk did not decrease. Particularly in the poorest countries in the world the infection with the H5N1-Virus spreads and arises in countries, which had successfully fought the virus, again. Until today are world-wide over 290 humans at this virus gets sick and over 170 humans with it died. The virus can at any time experience a mutation, which makes a transmission from humans easily possible to humans and can release so a Grippepandemie. The preparation conditions and the national and international cooperation improve constantly, in order to advance toward a possible Grippepandemie. Within the range of the monitors, which support of female patients and patient, who become international cooperation as well as the research, in particular within the range of the vaccines concrete vigorous rides reached.

Comment

Working...
            X