Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ireland: Panic over bird flu led to hurt swan?s ?execution?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ireland: Panic over bird flu led to hurt swan?s ?execution?

Ireland: Panic over bird flu led to hurt swan?s ?execution? By Majella Loftus

http://www.westernpeople.ie/news/story.asp?j=30716

YOUNG students may have thought they were in for another ordinary day when heading for St Angela?s National School on Friday last but the second they turned into the driveway, this all changed.

As the students piled in for the start of the day?s classes they were greeted with a very unusual scene. A swan, totally oblivious to what was going on around it, was basking in the morning sunshine in the middle of the school driveway.

Principal of St Angela?s National School, Ms Geraldine Grunnell was alerted to the very unusual sight and in an attempt to take the beautiful bird out of harm?s way she contacted the Gardai and a number of local vets in the area.

It was later discovered that Gardai knew of the swan?s existence and had been trying to get help in moving the bird since 6 am that morning. They had contacted local vets who in turn contacted the Department of Agriculture and had been informed not to go near the bird.

However, this is not a story with a happy ending. As the swan?s audience grew larger, people on the street contacted local auctioneer, Tom Collins who had been involved in rescuing wild animals for 25 years and who took control of the situation in relation to the swan. On Friday evening, Tom regretted his decision to go and help the magnificent bird.

?I had been involved in the ISPCA as a director and we set up the Mayo Animal Welfare Rangers and we did a lot to help many injured wild and rare birds and animals. However, I got out of it because of the ridiculous rules and regulations of the Department of Agriculture who gave us very little assistance. On Friday evening it was a reminder for me of why I gave up doing this work.?

Everyone who came to view the swan was afraid to touch it or go near it but Tom knew the way to capture the animal and was quick to cover it with a blanket and put it into the back of his van. He now regrets listening to what others told him and feels he should have let it free into Lough Lannagh where it would still be a healthy swan.

Instead, it was brought to the Animal Hospital at the Moneen Industrial Estate, where Tom said the staff did a magnificent job in caring for the female swan, which was one year and one month old.

The bird was x-rayed and shown to be in perfect health, bar a small injury to her foot.

However, as the Department had become involved, Tom was later told the animal had been put down and would be tested for the Bird Flu Virus.

?To put a healthy animal down was an absolute disgrace.? Tom said.

?If there was any risk that the swan had the bird flu virus, then both myself, my van, the two vets and the surgery should have been quarantined, yet nobody came from the Department when they were informed initially.

?This virus is on the go for the past eight months and the Department obviously have no policy to deal with it. It is extremely bad policy and when I contacted them and asked who issued the direction to put down the swan, they would not tell me.?

Mr Collins said Friday?s incident certainly proved the Department of Agriculture had no policy in place for dealing with a suspect case of the bird flu virus. He complimented the Gardai, who did everything they could to help the swan, as did the two vets, who treated her at the Animal Hospital.

?Animals such as swans and badgers are protected by the State, yet the State can do what they want and put them down when the feel like. They are putting down badgers and birds to take blood samples when they certainly don?t need to be.?
Working...
X