Switzerland - A patient with Ebola virus was treated and cured

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switzerland - A patient with Ebola virus was treated and cured

Found this little snippet in another article about Ebola and the preparedness of the Basel Hospital.

Google approximate translation

A patient with Ebola virus was treated and cured some time ago in Basel, said Andreas Widmer, head of hygiene in USB (University Hospital of Basel). The hospital therefore has some experience.

---------------------------------

Comment:

I don't know if this might not be a mistaken quote, as this case does not seem to appear as an imported contact on WHO lists. I have scoured the French- and German- speaking Google for more results, but that's the only source - one day ago. At present, there does not seem to be any Ebola patient in Switzerland.

Re: Switzerland - A patient with Ebola virus was treated and cured

From what I understand from this board and members who posted WHO regulations, governments/Ministries of Health are required to release positive Ebola test information to WHO, but can refuse to allow WHO to release the information. Countries with positive cases may not want information publicized because they fear economic reprisals.

Comment

Perhaps it was an historical infection - 1994- http://jid.oxfordjournals.org/conten...ent_1/S48.full
      "The only security we have is our ability to adapt."

Comment

Maybe it was a genuine mistake - a journalist that "over-reported".

Comment

Originally posted by FrenchieGirl View Post
          Found this little snippet in another article about Ebola and the preparedness of the Basel Hospital.

Google approximate translation

A patient with Ebola virus was treated and cured some time ago in Basel, said Andreas Widmer, head of hygiene in USB (University Hospital of Basel). The hospital therefore has some experience.

---------------------------------

Comment:

I don't know if this might not be a mistaken quote, as this case does not seem to appear as an imported contact on WHO lists. I have scoured the French- and German- speaking Google for more results, but that's the only source - one day ago. At present, there does not seem to be any Ebola patient in Switzerland.
          I believe this case was from 1995:

Translation Google
          A case in Basel in 1995
          Switzerland has already experienced a case of a patient treated for Ebola virus. It was in 1995, a Swiss zoologist returning from Côte d'Ivoire had contracted the disease. Hospitalized in Basel, she recovered and did not contaminated anybody.

"Safety and security don't just happen, they are the result of collective consensus and public investment. We owe our children, the most vulnerable citizens in our society, a life free of violence and fear."
          -Nelson Mandela

Comment

Working...
          X