No announcement yet.

Spain - 14 patients isolated over Ebola fears: contacts of ebola positive nurse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spain - 14 patients isolated over Ebola fears: contacts of ebola positive nurse

Three new patients isolated over Ebola fears

Published: 09 Oct 2014 09:09 GMT+02:00

Three more health workers in Spain have been admitted to hospital for monitoring for Ebola on Wednesday night, including two doctors who had contact with a nurse who has been infected with the disease.

One of the two doctors, Juan Manuel Parra, is the only medical practitioner who cared for Teresa Romero for the entire 16 hours at Madrid's Alcorcón hospital on Monday. He had direct exposure to the patient's bodily fluids and asked to be admitted to hospital.

In an internal letter to hospital authorities and obtained by major Spanish newspapers Parra said the sleeves of his scrubs has been too short.

Parra said that. like Romero, he only found out the nurse he had been treating was positive for Ebola via the media.

The third new patient is a nurse who had contact with one of the two Spanish missionaries who died from Ebola after being repatriated from west Africa for treatment.

"He is showing symptoms and a test has been carried out but we have not received the result yet," said a spokesman for the Madrid hospital.

Meanwhile, two people who had previously been under observation in hospital have been cleared of the disease and discharged.

More: The Local
    ?Addressing chronic disease is an issue of human rights ? that must be our call to arms"
    Richard Horton, Editor-in-Chief The Lancet

~~~~ Twitter:@GertvanderHoek ~~~ GertvanderHoek@gmail.com ~~~

Re: Spain: Spanish Nurse Who Treated Ebola Victim in Madrid Tests Positive For Disease - 2nd confirming test confirms nosocomial transmission

......he only found out the nurse he had been treating was positive for Ebola via the media.
    What??? It didn't show on her chart or he didn't read them?

"The next major advancement in the health of American people will be determined by what the individual is willing to do for himself"-- John Knowles, Former President of the Rockefeller Foundation

Comment

Re: Spain: Spanish Nurse Who Treated Ebola Victim in Madrid Tests Positive For Disease - 2nd confirming test confirms nosocomial transmission

Originally posted by AlaskaDenise View Post

I fear there are going to be some nasty, nasty lessons soon. I sincerely hope the rest of the 'developed' world's health systems are truly going to be pay attention now....

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaDenise View Post

I think they probably transferred her to another hospital or another unit before the test results came back. Then didn't follow up with notifying previous HCW's. Happens all the time.
        "We are in this breathing space before it happens. We do not know how long that breathing space is going to be. But, if we are not all organizing ourselves to get ready and to take action to prepare for a pandemic, then we are squandering an opportunity for our human security"- Dr. David Nabarro

Comment

Originally posted by MHSC View Post
          I think they probably transferred her to another hospital or another unit before the test results came back. Then didn't follow up with notifying previous HCW's. Happens all the time.
          Once I was admitted to the hospital for something relatively minor and they put this huge bright-red arm band on me that said "FALL RISK", which was nonsense, but I had to wear it. I would think that for a disease like this they could get some kind of orange sticker or something for their charts that would be a warning to any HCWs coming into contact.
          "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Comment

Re: Spain - Three new patients isolated over Ebola fears: contacts of ebola positive nurse

Excellent article with a detailed description of Teresa Romero's visit to the ER and how the heroic doctor who treated her tried to prevent others from becoming infected.

ER doctor who treated Ebola victim taken into isolation for monitoring

When Spanish Ebola patient Teresa Romero was taken to her local hospital in Alcorc?n on Monday, Doctor Juan Manuel Parra was in charge of her care. Before she was diagnosed with the virus and taken to the Carlos III Hospital, the 41-year-old was the sole person responsible for saving the life of the nursing assistant, who is the first person to be infected with the virus outside of West Africa.

From 8am on Monday until after midnight the same day, the emergency room doctor took on the risk of dealing with a patient whose status got progressively worse, with symptoms such as diarrhea, vomiting and chesty coughing.

Doctor Parra had to put on and remove his protective clothing as many as 13 times during the day, but it was not until 5pm that he donned the highest-level protective suit available in the hospital ? a suit that, what?s more, was not his size, leaving his bare skin exposed.

?At all times the sleeves were too short,? the doctor wrote in a report. The document, to which EL PA?S has had access, covers all of the events of those 16 hours and was sent to his superiors...

Read more at http://elpais.com/elpais/2014/10/09/...21_015475.html

Comment

Re: Spain - Three new patients isolated over Ebola fears: contacts of ebola positive nurse

Count of admitted and isolated people, as at 23h43 local on 9 October 2014

14 (altogether)

Additional admitted people, as at 23h46 local on 9 October 2014

More details on the 7 newly entered by precaution [no symptoms]: the 2 hairdressers who had contact with the nurse assistant, 1 doctor, 2 nurses, 1 nurse supervisor, 1 "celador" [don't know how to translate that word].

To recap, apart from these 7, there are: the husband of the infected nurse assistant, the doctor from the health center, the staff of the emergency department of the Alcorcón Hospital, 1 doctor from this same hospital and this afternoon 1 health worker from Summa.

Source: http://endirecto.lavanguardia.com/sa...504/ebola.html

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Oliveros View Post
                Once I was admitted to the hospital for something relatively minor and they put this huge bright-red arm band on me that said "FALL RISK", which was nonsense, but I had to wear it. I would think that for a disease like this they could get some kind of orange sticker or something for their charts that would be a warning to any HCWs coming into contact.

Now that everything is computerized it's different. Once that patient is moved out of your care, you can be fired if you re-open the file. They track it so they know personnel, date and time accessed. Unless a patient is in our care we don't go into the file.

Notification could actually be automatic, everyone that logged care for that patient would be notified via email, text, pager or something similar, but even that wouldn't work 100%, because you may have people in the room that don't log an event in the system.
                "We are in this breathing space before it happens. We do not know how long that breathing space is going to be. But, if we are not all organizing ourselves to get ready and to take action to prepare for a pandemic, then we are squandering an opportunity for our human security"- Dr. David Nabarro

Comment

Now that everything is computerized it's different. Once that patient is moved out of your care, you can be fired if you re-open the file. They track it so they know personnel, date and time accessed. Unless a patient is in our care we don't go into the file.

Notification could actually be automatic, everyone that logged care for that patient would be notified via email, text, pager or something similar, but even that wouldn't work 100%, because you may have people in the room that don't log an event in the system.
                  Yes, this is absolutely true, but if there is a really serious concern, e.g. allergies, mother matched up with the correct baby, which extremity to amputate.... we still use wrist bands exactly like Jim describes because you just never know if caregivers looked at the record, be it electronic or paper, or if they interacted with the right patient after they looked. If there's a way to fail, eventually people will accidentally find it! I would think Ebola would fall into the category of serious risk. A wristband or other marker physically on the patient is not too much to ask.

Comment

Originally posted by Dani View Post
                    Yes, this is absolutely true, but if there is a really serious concern, e.g. allergies, mother matched up with the correct baby, which extremity to amputate.... we still use wrist bands exactly like Jim describes because you just never know if caregivers looked at the record, be it electronic or paper, or if they interacted with the right patient after they looked. If there's a way to fail, eventually people will accidentally find it! I would think Ebola would fall into the category of serious risk. A wristband or other marker physically on the patient is not too much to ask.
                    I absolutely agree, it's not to much to ask. The issue lies with getting through the red tape to get it instituted and that still doesn't solve the issue of all potential contacts inside the hospital.

Comment

Originally posted by FrenchieGirl View Post
                      Count of admitted and isolated people, as at 23h43 local on 9 October 2014

14 (altogether)

Additional admitted people, as at 23h46 local on 9 October 2014

More details on the 7 newly entered by precaution [no symptoms]: the 2 hairdressers who had contact with the nurse assistant, 1 doctor, 2 nurses, 1 nurse supervisor, 1 "celador" [don't know how to translate that word].

To recap, apart from these 7, there are: the husband of the infected nurse assistant, the doctor from the health center, the staff of the emergency department of the Alcorc?n Hospital, 1 doctor from this same hospital and this afternoon 1 health worker from Summa.

Source: http://endirecto.lavanguardia.com/sa...504/ebola.html
                      A "celador" is a watchman, not sure in what context...

Comment

Re: Spain - 14 patients isolated over Ebola fears: contacts of ebola positive nurse

10/10/2014 News CanalSur

snip

A total of fourteen people remain admitted to the Hospital Carlos III de Madrid in which the only confirmed case of infection by Ebola remains the Teresa Rivero nursing assistant who is in critical to have suffered in recent times been a worsening of his health.

The Carlos III Hospital reported at 23.00 in addition to that there is another confirmed case in research, an outstanding nurse second PCR test for virus infection as it meets the 72 hours, which was negative in the first and is asymptomatic.

Tonight has been the entry of 7 and the other remaining high in plant active surveillance of high-risk contacts three people: the nurse's husband, a man and a woman, both optional. All of them asymptomatic.

This Thursday it has entered an optional Alcorc?n (asymptomatic), an optional afternoon SUMMA (asymptomatic) and tonight 5 females and two males.

There are two nurses, a physician, a supervising nurse and two hairdressers, all asymptomatic.

The high corresponds to a nurse team whose PCR test was negative.

Comment

I absolutely agree, it's not to much to ask. The issue lies with getting through the red tape to get it instituted and that still doesn't solve the issue of all potential contacts inside the hospital.
                          I've actually resorted to writing a warning on my own arm/wrist with a permanent pen - strategically located where they could not miss it. When my parents were hospitalized, I reviewed the computerized history (on a screen beside the bed) myself to see if everything was being done that should have been - each time I found missed important procedures.

"The next major advancement in the health of American people will be determined by what the individual is willing to do for himself"-- John Knowles, Former President of the Rockefeller Foundation

Comment

Working...
                          X