Spain - Beautician who cared for index case is sick, but not hospitalized

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spain - Beautician who cared for index case is sick, but not hospitalized

Una de las esteticistas que depil? a la auxiliar acudi? al Hospital de Valdemoro con fiebre y diarrea

One of the beauticians who depilated the nurse assistant has fever and diarrhoea. She consulted the local hospital of Valdemoro.

One of the two beauticians who depilated the nursing auxiliary infected by Ebola went to the emergency room at Hospital Infanta Elena of Valdemoro because she had four days with fever and diarrhea, according to sources have indicated the hospital.

Once epidemiologists Hospital Infanta Elena of Valdemoro reviewed his case and her body temperature, they decided it was not necessary to go take her in, and that her situation did not meet criteria of infectiousness or transmissibility.

The hairdresser ... reported that she had shaved Teresa on 26 September. At that time, the nursing assistant still had no symptoms, and it is thought that could not be caught.

Note: during her vacation, Teresa also went twice to the hairdresser.

Re: Spain - Beautician who cared for index case is sick, but not hospitalized

(But killing the dog was somehow necessary?)
    Nika

Comment

Originally posted by Nika View Post
      (But killing the dog was somehow necessary?)
      My thoughts exactly.

Comment

I am speechless.

Whilst the nurse may not have had a high enough viral load to be overtly infectious through secretions, her blood would still be carrying virus at this stage in significant enough concentrations to cause an infection.

Depilation can and does cause microbleeding, as any woman who has had this done can tell you. Contamination of hands of the beautician would be highly likely, and transfer to a mucous membrane through touching of face or rubbing eyes very possible over the course of such an appointment.

This woman has fever and diarrhoea, so if she does indeed have ebola she will be infectious - and yet they are not isolating her? Testing her? Groan.

It seems some of the guidance is being taken far, far too literally. There needs to be a major education push for healthcare providers on ebola.

Comment

Is Spain on a path to become the new Monrovia?

"The next major advancement in the health of American people will be determined by what the individual is willing to do for himself"-- John Knowles, Former President of the Rockefeller Foundation

Comment

I too, am wholly speechless. How the hell can health professionals be so cavalier when it matters so very much?

I fear there are going to be some very nasty 'tutorials in Ebola control' in Spain and in Dallas.....

Comment

Originally posted by Graupel View Post
              I too, am wholly speechless. How the hell can health professionals be so cavalier when it matters so very much?

I fear there are going to be some very nasty 'tutorials in Ebola control' in Spain and in Dallas.....
              I read the other day that Nigeria had offered the USA assistance in combating the spread but had not up till that point had a reply. I hope/wonder if they will make this offer to Spain, and would Spain be so good as to reply? As wise as to accept even?

Comment

Oh, but the health systems in developed countries will have no problems at all!

TOM FRIEDEN: Everything we've seen until now reinforces what we've known for the past 40 years. We know how to stop outbreaks of Ebola. In this country, we have health care infection control and public health systems that are tried and true and will stop before there's any widespread transmission. The core of that, the way to stop Ebola in its tracks is contact tracing, and follow-up. I want to salute Texas who are doing a phenomenal job of organizing their response, this unprecedented situation working in a highly efficient and effective way and addressing the needs of the patient, the contact and the community.

What could Nigeria or Senegal possibly contribute?

Comment

This whole thing is pathetic. Kill the dog, but don't properly follow-up and quarantine contacts. Let's hope the hair dresser sanitized all her instruments, the chair, and her hands before her next customer.
                  "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Comment

The whole "relax, be happy" attitude displayed by the CDC, WHO and other "experts" early on fostered a lax approach to the outbreak.
                    Any opinions expressed in my posts are strictly my own and do not necessarily represent those of FluTrackers.com

Comment

Any news about this beautician who is suspected of possibly have been infected by the ebola sick nurse Maria Teresa Romero Ramos?

I suppose the beautician had an ebola test taken yesterday, so a test result should be available by now right?

I mean; IF it turns out that the beautician have Ebola, then she has to have bin infected by Nurse Ramos when Ramos had no symptoms yet, because who goes to a beautician while sick ?

And IF she got infected previous to Ramos had symptoms, well that would be really really bad news!

Comment

Foreigner - IMHO This would be an exceptional or unique case, and quite different to normal transmission risks.

Viral load is too low to successfully be released into fluids - sweat, salive etc - early in infection. However, there is an exception of blood, which is where the virus multiplies, is transported and disseminates into other bodily fluids.

The beautician carried out depilation, which would cause even a healthy person to microbleed. Like surgery, anything that increases exposure to blood would be a high risk activity for exposure to virions, and the levels of the virus in blood would depend on exactly when the nurse in question saw the beautician. So even if an infection occurred, I dont think it would signal a major change in virus transmissibility.

Other practices that could cause an increase in infection risks early in incubation would be dentistry, where bleeding occurs frequently as a result of underlying gum disease, or surgery.

Comment

Originally posted by Vibrant62 View Post
                          Foreigner - IMHO This would be an exceptional or unique case, and quite different to normal transmission risks.

Viral load is too low to successfully be released into fluids - sweat, salive etc - early in infection. However, there is an exception of blood, which is where the virus multiplies, is transported and disseminates into other bodily fluids.

The beautician carried out depilation, which would cause even a healthy person to microbleed. Like surgery, anything that increases exposure to blood would be a high risk activity for exposure to virions, and the levels of the virus in blood would depend on exactly when the nurse in question saw the beautician. So even if an infection occurred, I dont think it would signal a major change in virus transmissibility.

Other practices that could cause an increase in infection risks early in incubation would be dentistry, where bleeding occurs frequently as a result of underlying gum disease, or surgery.
                          Thanks Vibrant62 for the explanation/information

Hope we soon get the beautician's test result.

Comment

Originally posted by Vibrant62 View Post

There have been cases of HCV and HIV spread by undiagnosed patients via dentistry from poorly sterilized instruments. This would be along those lines, although the window for Ebola would be much, much smaller than for HCV and HIV. Perhaps only a day or two.

Comment

Working...
                            X