Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spain: Spanish Nurse Who Treated Ebola Victim in Madrid Tests Positive For Disease - 2nd confirming test confirms nosocomial transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Spain: Spanish Nurse Who Treated Ebola Victim in Madrid Tests Positive For Disease - 2nd confirming test confirms nosocomial transmission

Translation Google

A health of Madrid, first spread out of Africa by Ebola
    Spanish A nursing assistant is the first case of Ebola infection in Europe. The health was part of the team that attended the missionary Manuel Garc?a Viejo, who died of Ebola on 26 September at the hospital Carlos III de Madrid (currently seconded to La Paz), and Miguel Pajares, died Aug. 12. Both analyzes women have tested positive, according to the Ministry of Health, whose crisis cabinet met this afternoon. It was she who came to the hospital in Alcorc?n (170,000, southwest of Madrid) when he felt fever. Previously, on the 30th, had alerted the occupational risk of service hospital that had a fever. Health has said that 30 people are under surveillance, and still is determining the people in your family and personal environment which has been in contact. For now ignore what could fail and are investigating what has been the mechanism of infection.

The patient, who went on vacation after the death of Garc?a Viejo, life has become normal in recent weeks and shows no more symptoms that "a little fever and fatigue," said the director of the primary care Madrid , Antonio Alemany. The patient has a fever, about 38,6? is stable and is awaiting assessment as officials from the Ministry of Health. "We are not aware of any other case," added Alemany. This has added yet unknown what could fail, if they have actually implemented all protocols to prevent contagion, "We do not know yet what could fail are investigating the mechanism of infection.".

Minister Ana Mato, in an extraordinary appearance before reporters, said that the protocol was "immediately activated to assist the patient and ensure the safety of health workers who treats and citizens." "We are working to verify the source of infection," added the minister. Has begun the study of all the contacts you have had this woman, including those who have had with health professionals Hospital Alcorc?n.

The woman is stable and has fever 38,6?

This is the third case of Ebola fallecieron- treated in Spain-the first two and the first in which the patient is not repatriated from Africa or is treated in the hospital Carlos III de Madrid. The capital has already activated the protocol in September when a Brazilian disturbing symptoms presented in the Southern Bus Station.

The patient was admitted in the morning with a high fever. So the hospital activated the protocol before a possible case of Ebola and is isolated in the emergency room. A total of 60 health professionals who have had contact with the affected are under surveillance, according to a spokesman for the Union of Nursing.

She is a woman of 44, married and childless, of Galician origin but has been in the Carlos III over 15 years, according to other health center that consulted by this newspaper. These other colleagues who, as the affected, have been working in shifts to care of the missionaries, have expressed surprise at the spread as protective measures were "extreme". Health protection two monkeys wearing two pairs of gloves and goggles when treated patients.

The primary care manager of the Community of Madrid, Antonio Alemany, explained at the press conference with the affected Mato entered at any time in the room with Garc?a Viejo "protective equipment" and that there is no evidence that there had been other contact. He also explained that the affected went on vacation the day after the death of this missionary. "We have already begun the study of all the contacts you have had this patient, including health professionals Hospital Alcorc?n who have served," added Alemani.
    We do not know what could fail we investigated the mechanism of infection
    The partners have also explained to the doors of the center, the hospital was not evacuated to attend the second missionary because the sixth floor (the infectious intended) was already sealed since he attended the first affected. To access this facility, the professionals have a specific card.

Died August 12 religious Miguel Pajares and then did Viejo Manuel Garcia, 69, clinical director of the hospital Lunsar. Both were members of the Order of St. John of God.

"Safety and security don't just happen, they are the result of collective consensus and public investment. We owe our children, the most vulnerable citizens in our society, a life free of violence and fear."
    -Nelson Mandela

Comment

Re: Spain: Spanish Nurse Who Treated Ebola Victim in Madrid Tests Positive For Disease - 2nd confirming test confirms nosocomial transmission

Originally posted by MHSC View Post
      A nurse who treated an ebola patient has symptoms for 6 days before being admitted and isolated? I hope I'm reading this wrong.
      I think you are reading it right.

Comment

Originally posted by MHSC View Post
        A nurse who treated an ebola patient has symptoms for 6 days before being admitted and isolated? I hope I'm reading this wrong.
        I don't think that you are. In addition, it seems the local hospital where she presented perhaps did not observe precautions when she first came in.

She has, however, been on leave since Manuel Garcia Viejo died, thank goodness.

Comment

Translation machines have a hard time with the very easy to understand gender in Spanish for some reason. Reporting indicates nurse is female
          Nika

Comment

I think she has had symptoms since September 30 but was not hospitalized until today, October 6. It seems she sought medical advice a few days ago from a general practitioner who told her to go to the emergency room if she did not feel better soon.

Comment

Machine translation

She is a woman of 44, married and childless, of Galician origin but has been in the Carlos III over 15 years, according to medical sources that center consulted by this newspaper.

Comment

"The Spanish nurse is in a stable condition, Reuters quoted health officials as saying. She started to feel ill last week when she was on holiday."

Spain's health minister confirms a nurse who treated two Ebola victims in Madrid has contracted the virus in the first infection outside Africa.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
                  She started to feel ill last week when she was on holiday."http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-29514920
                  Hopefully she was at home while on holiday.
                  "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Comment

Some good images at this link I can't get Image links for them to paste here - sorry

The Spaniard helped care for Manuel Garcia Viejo, who died in Madrid on September 25 after contracting the deadly illness in Sierra Leone
                    Nika

Comment

Originally posted by sharon sanders View Post
                      I think she has had symptoms since September 30 but was not hospitalized until today, October 6. It seems she sought medical advice a few days ago from a general practitioner who told her to go to the emergency room if she did not feel better soon.
                      She knew she had just recently had contact with an EBV patient, and went to a GP?? WHY, oh WHY, did her employer not have a 'red phone' emergency contact system in place for any possible sign of anything??

Comment

Possible second case in Madrid.

translation

"There is a second possible case of Ebola in a hospital nurse La Paz. The warning came today at 19.50 to telephone emergency Madrid with the aim of that report to Public Health, the Ministry of Health. Documents to which access has been confirmed eldiario.es health alert received by the Madrid emergency service and where specifically targets the cause of communication: Ebola alert.

However, the press conference has provided the Ministry of Health, the Director General of Primary Care in the Community of Madrid has said he had no news of another possible case.

Disease confirmed, would be the second case of Ebola in Europe, after it has already been confirmed in a nursing assistant Alcorc?n Hospital who took care of the mission meet Manuel Garc?a Viejo.

The woman is a nurse trained in the hospital Carlos III -who specializes in infectious diseases and where the three patients with Ebola transferred to Madrid but currently work of La Paz hospital in Madrid is served.
                        La enfermera estaba en aislamiento por haber estado expuesta al virus y haber tenido un episodio de diarrea

Comment

Originally posted by Graupel View Post
                          She knew she had just recently had contact with an EBV patient, and went to a GP?? WHY, oh WHY, did her employer not have a 'red phone' emergency contact system in place for any possible sign of anything??
                          It appears that denial is playing a big role in the spread of ebola. But, I am surprised a nurse would not report first symptoms to the hospital where she worked.
                          "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Comment

I see two possibilities:

a) she had a major exposure (needle stick etc.), in which the health system failed on every conceivable level

b) she had no obvious exposure and this has truly massive implications for containing the epidemic

Either way, hospitals and public health systems in developed countries that have assumed they won't have any problems need to wholly reconsider everything about how they will respond

Comment

The Federation of Associations for the Defence of Public Health (FADSP) Monday branded "appalling and irresponsible" management Health Minister Ana Mato, and health authorities in Madrid regarding transfer and care of the two missionaries repatriated Ebola causes, after news that a health doctor who treated Garcia old has been infected. In a statement, demanded the immediate resignation of the Minister Ana Mato, "mostly because we need competent people who can address the problem with security."https://translate.google.com/transla...tml&edit-text=
                              CSI:WORLD http://swineflumagazine.blogspot.com/

treyfish2004@yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by Graupel View Post
                                I see two possibilities:

a) she had a major exposure (needle stick etc.), in which the health system failed on every conceivable level

b) she had no obvious exposure and this has truly massive implications for containing the epidemic

Either way, hospitals and public health systems in developed countries that have assumed they won't have any problems need to wholly reconsider everything about how they will respond
                                It seems that Nigeria and Senegal handled their first cases better than the US and Spain.

Comment

Working...
                                X