• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA: West Nile 2019

Link to 2018: https://flutrackers.com/forum/forum/...west-nile-2018

California County confirms first instance of West Nile virus in 2019
    POSTED 11:24 AM, MARCH 15, 2019, BY CITY NEWS SERVICE

SAN DIEGO ? County officials confirmed Friday that they?ve identified the year?s first instance of West Nile virus after a Cooper?s hawk tested positive.

Officials with the county?s Vector Control Program only found small amounts of the virus in the hawk?s tissues, leading them to believe it was an old infection. Last year, only one county resident contracted West Nile virus and ultimately survived, but the virus has spread to as many as 44 residents as recently as 2015. Six people died due to the virus that year.

County officials confirmed Friday that they’ve identified the year’s first instance of West Nile virus after a Cooper’s hawk tested positive.
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Erie County reports first West Nile human case since 2015

By David Bruce

Posted Mar 31, 2019 at 2:00 AM
    The person had traveled to the southern United States.

An Erie County resident has tested positive for West Nile virus, the county?s first human case since 2015 and only the fourth case since 2004.

Few details about the case were available Friday from the Erie County Department of Health. The patient was an adult who recovered from the illness, said Sue Carlson, R.N., the health department?s communicable diseases nursing supervisor.

?The person had traveled in the southern United States and the case was reported to us in January,? Carlson said.

The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Nevada
      First case of West Nile virus reported for 2019 in Clark County
      Posted: 9:01 AM, Apr 26, 2019 Updated: 12:01 PM, Apr 26, 2019
      By: KTNV Staff

A woman over 50 has been diagnosed with the first case of West Nile virus in the county, according the Southern Nevada Health District.

The woman had the more serious neuroinvasive form of the illness and has recovered.
      The Southern Nevada Health District is reporting its 2nd case of West Nile virus for 2019 in Southern Nevada. They track the virus through the Mosquito Surveillance Program, which traps and analyzes mosquitos across the Valley.

Comment

Three human cases of West Nile Virus confirmed in Oklahoma, health officials say

KOCO Updated: 1:34 PM CDT Jun 7, 2019

OKLAHOMA CITY ?
        The Oklahoma State Department of Health on Friday reported the first three human cases of West Nile Virus for the season.

The cases have been confirmed in residents of Canadian, Grant and Tulsa counties, officials said.

Oklahoma City-County Health Department experts confirmed Monday two positive mosquito samples to be carrying the West Nile Virus this week in Oklahoma County.

West Nile off to Early Start in Wyoming
        Woman contracts Wyoming's first known human case of West Nile virus this year.
        By Associated Press, Wire Service Content June 10, 2019, at 5:58 p.m.

CHEYENNE, WYO. (AP) ? A woman has contracted Wyoming's first known human case of West Nile virus this year.

Wyoming Department of Health officials say the Campbell County woman contracted the more serious, neuro-invasive form of the disease.

Comment

West Nile Virus Disease Cases by State 2019
          West Nile Virus Disease Cases* and Presumptive Viremic Blood Donors by State ? United States, 2019 (as of June 11, 2019)

Click image for larger version

Name:	WNV.png
Views:	136
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	814289

*Includes confirmed and probable cases.
          ?Includes cases reported as meningitis, encephalitis, or acute flaccid paralysis.
          ?Presumptive viremic blood donors (PVDs) are people who had no symptoms at the time of donating blood through a blood collection agency, but whose blood tested positive when screened for the presence of West Nile virus. Some PVDs develop symptoms after donation.
          Please refer to state health department web sites for further details regarding state case totals.

Page last reviewed: June 11, 2019

Data table: WNV infections in mosquitoes, birds, sentinel animals, or veterinary animals have been reported to CDC ArboNET from the following states: Arizona, Arkansas, California, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Louisiana, Mississippi, Nevada, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia.

Comparison to previous years:

June 12 2018 - 0 cases, 0 fatal
          June 9 2017 - 7 cases, 1 fatal
          June 8 2016 - 4 cases, 0 fatal
          June 9 2015 - 3 cases, 0 fatal
          June 8 2014 -3 cases, 0 fatal
          June 13 2013 - 4 cases, 1 fatal
          June 12 2012 - 1 case, 0 fatal

Comment

First human case of West Nile virus reported near Modesto catches mosquito district by surprise
            Normally, the East Side Mosquito Abatement District finds bird cases or mosquito with the virus before a human case is found.
            Author: Eric Escalante
            Published: 3:04 PM PDT June 18, 2019
            Updated: 3:04 PM PDT June 18, 2019
            STANISLAUS COUNTY, Calif. ? Modesto?s East Side Mosquito Abatement was taken by surprise with what may be the first human case of West Nile virus reported in California this year.

Comment

West Nile Virus Disease Cases by State 2019
              West Nile Virus Disease Cases* and Presumptive Viremic Blood Donors by State ? United States, 2019 (as of June 25, 2019)

Views:	138
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	814381

?Includes cases reported as meningitis, encephalitis, or acute flaccid paralysis.
              ?Presumptive viremic blood donors (PVDs) are people who had no symptoms at the time of donating blood through a blood collection agency, but whose blood tested positive when screened for the presence of West Nile virus. Some PVDs develop symptoms after donation.
              Please refer to state health department web sites for further details regarding state case totals.

WNV infections in mosquitoes, birds, sentinel animals, or veterinary animals have been reported to CDC ArboNET from the following states: Arizona, Arkansas, California, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Nevada, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, and Wyoming.

June 26 2018 - 10 cases, 0 fatal
              June 23 2017 - 14 cases, 1 fatal
              June 24 2016 - 15 cases, 0 fatal
              June 23 2015 - 5 cases, 0 fatal
              June 26 2014 - 6 cases, 0 fatal
              June 25 2013 - 6 cases, 1 fatal
              June 19 2012 - 2 cases, 0 fatal

Comment

New Jersey confirms its earliest ever West Nile Virus case
                (Andre Penner)

Updated 24 minutes ago
                LODI, New Jersey (WABC) -- New Jersey health officials have confirmed the state's first human case of the West Nile virus this year, the earliest it has ever been detected in state history.

They say a Hunterdon County man in his 70s began showing signs of meningitis on June 21 and was hospitalized for several days.

They later confirmed he had contracted West Nile virus, which is spread by mosquitoes that have fed on an infected bird.

The man is still recovering at home. His name and further details about the case have not been released.

Officials say 61 people in New Jersey were infected by West Nile virus last year, marking the highest number of cases ever reported in the state.

They say a Hunterdon County man in his 70s began showing signs of meningitis on June 21 and was hospitalized for several days.

Comment

2nd Case of West Nile Reported in Southern Nevada

jshaffer
                  5 hours ago

The Southern Nevada Health District is reporting its second human case of West Nile virus in Southern Nevada in 2019.

The individual, a female under the age of 50, has the more serious neuroinvasive form of the illness and has been hospitalized. The Health District reported its first West Nile case in April in a woman over the age of 50 with the more serious form of the illness; she has since recovered. There were no reported human cases of West Nile virus in Clark County last year.
                  All news, and all that matters to you in the Las Vegas region, plus 24-hour traffic and weather updates. Stream, read and download KDWN-FM from any device on Audacy.

Comment

Arizona
                    Watch out for West Nile virus: cases are up in the Valley and the season has barely begun
                    Stephanie Innes, Arizona Republic Published 5:10 p.m. MT July 8, 2019 | Updated 6:12 p.m. MT July 8, 2019

It's early in the season, but potentially deadly West Nile virus is already making Arizonans ill, and cases of the mosquito-borne disease are on track to surpass last year's count.

So far in 2019, there have been 27 confirmed and probable cases of West Nile virus in Arizona ? all of them in Maricopa County.

Maricopa County data shows 335 mosquito samples have tested positive for West Nile virus this year, compared with 138 in all of 2018.

Comment

West Nile Virus Disease Cases* and Presumptive Viremic Blood Donors by State – United States, 2019 (as of July 9, 2019)

Views:	143
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	814885

†Includes cases reported as meningitis, encephalitis, or acute flaccid paralysis.
                      ‡Presumptive viremic blood donors (PVDs) are people who had no symptoms at the time of donating blood through a blood collection agency, but whose blood tested positive when screened for the presence of West Nile virus. Some PVDs develop symptoms after donation.

https://www.cdc.gov/westnile/statsma...tate-2019.html

WNV infections in mosquitoes, birds, sentinel animals, or veterinary animals have been reported to CDC ArboNET from the following states: Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, New Jersey, Nevada, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, and Wyoming.
                      https://www.cdc.gov/westnile/statsma...state2019.html

July 9 2019 - 39 cases, 1 fatal
                      July 10 2018 - 14 cases, 0 fatal
                      July 11 2017 - 36 cases, 1 fatal
                      July 8 2016 - 23 cases, 0 fatal
                      July 7 2015 - 10 cases, 0 fatal
                      July 8 2014 - 18 cases, 1 fatal
                      July 9 2013 - 14 cases, 2 fatal
                      July 10 2012 - 15 cases, 0 fatal

First West Nile virus death of the year reported in California, health officials say
                      BY JARED GILMOUR
                      JULY 09, 2019 04:18 PM, UPDATED 39 MINUTES AGO

An Imperial County, California, man died from West Nile virus complications earlier this month, according to local public health officials.

The fatality is California’s first from the mosquito-borne illness in 2019, the Desert Sun reports. The California state West Nile virus monitoring website shows no other reported deaths this year.

Doree Grindell of San Diego identified her father, 74-year-old Robert Mears of Bombay Beach, as the man who died of the virus on July 4 at the University of California, San Diego Medical Center, according to the newspaper.
                      https://www.sacbee.com/news/state/ca...232474307.html

Comment

Nevada
                        Las Vegas man dies after contracting West Nile Virus
                        by Max DarrowWednesday, July 10th 2019

Ever since June 3, Jill Moore now holds pictures and memories of her late-husband, Arnold Moore, close to her heart. He was 68 when he died.

"I miss him a lot," she said.

Moore died of Encephalitis, due to the West Nile Virus, according to his Certificate of Death.

About a month before he died, Jill says she remembers a morning where her husband just didn't seem like himself.
                        Ever since June 3, Jill Moore now holds pictures and memories of her late-husband, Arnold Moore, close to her heart. He was 68 when he died. "I miss him a lot," she said. Moore died of Encephalitis, due to the West Nile Virus, according to his Certificate of Death. About a month before he died, Jill says she remembers a morning where her husband just didn't seem like himself.

Comment

First human West Nile Virus detection of 2019 reported
                          By Staff | on July 10, 2019

PIERRE – A Turner County resident is South Dakota’s first human West Nile virus (WNV) detection of the season, the state Health Department reported today. The person is in the 30 to 39 age group.
                          https://www.nativesunnews.today/arti...2019-reported/

Comment

Nevada
                            Health District reports second 2019 West Nile case
                            Encourages everyone to take precautions against mosquito bites
                            FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

9 July, 2019
                            LAS VEGAS ? The Southern Nevada Health District is reporting its second human case of West Nile virus in Southern Nevada in 2019. The individual, a female under the age of 50, has the more serious neuroinvasive form of the illness and has been hospitalized. The Health District reported its first West Nile case in April in a woman over the age of 50 with the more serious form of the illness; she has since recovered. There were no reported human cases of West Nile virus in Clark County last year.

Comment

Mississippi reports 2019's first human case of West Nile virus
                              MGN Online

Posted: Jul 11, 2019 12:20 PM
                              Posted By: Zac Carlisle
                              JACKSON, Miss. (WTVA) - Mississippi has its first human case of West Nile virus in 2019.

According to the Mississippi State Department of Health, the reported case is in Smith County.

Smith County is located southeast of Jackson.

Last year, the state had 50 West Nile virus cases and no deaths. The first case in 2018 was reported in mid-July.

Comment

Working...
                              X