No announcement yet.

USA: West Nile 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oklahoma Health experts: Oklahoma County resident tests positive for West Nile Virus
    POSTED 8:02 AM, JULY 6, 2018, BY KFOR-TV AND K. QUERRY
    FACEBOOK164 TWITTER PINTEREST LINKEDIN REDDIT EMAIL

OKLAHOMA CITY ? As the summer temperatures heat up, health officials say an Oklahoma County resident has tested positive for West Nile Virus.

On Friday, the Oklahoma City-County Health Department confirmed that one human case of West Nile Virus has been found in Oklahoma County.
    OKLAHOMA CITY – As the summer temperatures heat up, health officials say an Oklahoma County resident has tested positive for West Nile Virus. On Friday, the Oklahoma City-County Health Depart…

Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

DCHHS reports season?s first human case of West
      Nile virus
      DALLAS (July 10, 2018) ? Dallas County Health and Human Services (DCHHS) is reporting the first human
      case of West Nile virus infection in Dallas County for 2018. The patient is a resident of the 75061 zip code
      of Irving and was diagnosed with West Nile neuroinvasive disease. For medical confidentiality and personal
      privacy reasons, DCHHS does not provide additional identifying information.

The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

West Nile Virus Disease Cases* and Presumptive Viremic Blood Donors by State ? United States, 2018 (as of July 10, 2018)
        Click image for larger version

Name:	WNV.png
Views:	91
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	796338

*Includes confirmed and probable cases.

?Includes cases reported as meningitis, encephalitis, or acute flaccid paralysis.

?Presumptive viremic blood donors (PVDs) are people who had no symptoms at the time of donating blood through a blood collection agency, but whose blood tested positive when screened for the presence of West Nile virus. Some PVDs develop symptoms after donation.

Please refer to state health department web sites for further details regarding state case totals.

WNV infections in mosquitoes, birds, sentinel animals, or veterinary animals have been reported to CDC ArboNET from the following states: Arizona, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Washington, West Virginia, and Wisconsin.

Comment

Mississippi Reports First West Nile Virus Case in 2018
          The Mississippi State Department of Health is confirming the state's first 2018 case of West Nile virus.
          July 12, 2018, at 11:34 a.m.

JACKSON, Miss. (AP) ? The Mississippi State Department of Health is confirming the state's first 2018 case of West Nile virus.

The case was reported in late June in Hinds County.

In 2017, Mississippi reported 63 West Nile cases and two deaths.

Comment

California
            HUMAN CASES
            YTD: 10 Counties: 6
            There was 1 new WNV human case reported in California this week from Fresno County.
            10 human cases from 6 counties have tested positive for WNV in 2018.

HORSES
            YTD: 0 Counties: 0
            No horses have tested positive for WNV in 2018.

DEAD BIRDS
            YTD: 67 Counties: 13
            There were 17 new WNV positive dead birds reported in California this week from the following counties: Alameda (3), Placer (1), Sacramento (10), and Yolo (3). This is the first WNV positive dead bird from Placer County this year.
            67 dead birds from 13 counties have tested positive for WNV in 2018.

MOSQUITO SAMPLES
            YTD: 106 Counties: 12
            There were 59 new WNV positive mosquito samples reported in California last week from the following counties: Kern (1), Orange (1), Placer (1), Riverside (1), Sacramento (21), San Joaquin (33), and Yolo (1). These are the first WNV positive mosquito samples from Kern and Yolo counties this year. This is the first indication of WNV from Orange and Placer counties this year.
            106 mosquito samples from 12 counties have tested positive for WNV in 2018.

A mosquito sample may contain up to 50 individual mosquitoes.

SENTINEL CHICKENS
            YTD: 0 Counties: 0
            No sentinel chickens have tested positive for WNV in 2018.

Comment

Texas
              DCHHS reports second human case of West Nile virus
              DALLAS (July 16, 2018) ? Dallas County Health and Human Services (DCHHS) is reporting the second human case of West Nile virus (WNV) infection in Dallas County for 2018. The patient is a resident of the 75061 zip code of Irving and has been diagnosed with West Nile neuroinvasive disease. For medical confidentiality and personal privacy reasons, DCHHS does not provide additional identifying information.

Nebraska
              FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
              July 16, 2018
              First Human Case of West Nile Virus Reported to DHHS

Lincoln?A man in the Scotts Bluff County Health Department jurisdiction tested positive for West Nile virus according to the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services.

?This is the first human case so far this season and there will be more,? said Dr. Tom Safranek, State Epidemiologist for DHHS. ?West Nile virus can be a mild illness for some but serious for others. It?s important to get into the habit of protecting yourself from mosquito bites now because we?ve got a summer of warm weather and outdoor activities ahead of us.?

Comment

Texas
                GCHD confirms first human West Nile virus case of 2018
                Post Date:07/17/2018 9:04 AM
                The Galveston County Health District (GCHD) has confirmed the first human case of West Nile virus (WNV) of 2018 in Galveston County.

The female patient, ranging in age from 20-29, is a resident of Galveston Island. She received treatment for West Nile Fever and has recovered. To protect medical privacy, no other information about the patient will be made available.

GCHD has notified Galveston County Mosquito Control of the confirmed case of mosquito-borne illness so that the agency may factor that into its surveillance and spraying efforts, if needed. The most recent cases of human WNV in Galveston County were six confirmed cases in 2016.
                http://www.gchd.org/Home/Components/...5?selectview=1

First Human West Nile Virus (WNV) Reported in Montgomery County for 2018
                Date: 7/17/18
                Conroe, Texas – A male in his 40’s, who recently moved to Montgomery County on
                7/3/2018 from Harris County, has been reported as a confirmed case of West Nile
                Neuroinvasive Disease; this is the first case in the county for 2018. The resident has been
                discharged and is recovering at home. On this date in 2017, there was one reported case of
                WNV. Public Health continues to ask homeowners to do their part to help fight West Nile
                Virus.
                http://mcphd-tx.org/wp-content/uploa...se-7.16.18.pdf

Case of West Nile illness confirmed in Travis County
                By Spectrum News Staff | July 17, 2018 @11:25 AM
                TRAVIS COUNTY, Texas -- The Texas Department of State Health (DSHS) on Tuesday confirmed a case of West Nile illness in Travis County.

Comment

Louisiana reports first human West Nile virus cases for 2018
                  July 18, 2018
                  Baton Rouge, La. (July 18, 2018) ? The Louisiana Department of Health today reported the first human cases of West Nile virus for this year. These initial cases are listed in this year?s first weekly Arboviral Report and shows six WNV infections, distributed as follows:

Three cases of neuroinvasive disease: one case each in DeSoto, St. Tammany and Tangipahoa parishes,
                  Two cases of fever: one each in East Baton Rouge and Ouachita parishes, and
                  One asymptomatic case in East Baton Rouge Parish that was diagnosed because of a blood donation.
                  The Louisiana Department of Health protects and promotes health and ensures access to medical, preventive and rehabilitative services for all citizens of the State of Louisiana.

Comment

North Carolina
                    DHHS Reports State?s First Death This Year Related to West Nile Virus
                    Raleigh
                    Jul 20, 2018
                    State health officials are encouraging residents and visitors to take precautions to prevent mosquito-borne illnesses following the death of a North Carolina resident from West Nile virus infection last week. This is the state's first death from and first confirmed case of West Nile virus in 2018.

The individual was an adult living in the southeastern part of the state. To protect patient confidentiality, the department is not releasing additional details.
                    https://www.ncdhhs.gov/news/press-re...est-nile-virus
                    Cumberland County man dies from West Nile virus

By Steve DeVane
                    Staff writer

Posted Jul 20, 2018 at 3:48 PM
                    An elderly man in Cumberland County has died from the West Nile virus, county officials said today.

His death is the first in the state this year due to the disease.

The man's identity was not released. The county Health Department doesn’t have any details about him, according to a statement released today by the county.
                    http://www.fayobserver.com/news/2018...est-nile-virus

Comment

Mississippi Reports Second West Nile Virus Human Case of 2018

July 23, 2018

Jackson, Miss. Today the Mississippi State Department of Health (MSDH) reports its second human case of West Nile virus (WNV) in 2018. The reported case is in Pearl River County.

So far this year cases have been reported in Hinds and Pearl River counties. In 2017, Mississippi had 63 WNV cases and two deaths.

Louisiana
                      Human case of West Nile virus reported in Ascension Parish
                      Monday, July 23rd 2018, 10:26 am EDT

By Danae Leake, Digital Content Producer

ASCENSION PARISH, LA (WAFB) -
                      Officials in Ascension Parish announced on Monday there's a report of West Nile in a human.

The Ascension Parish Mosquito Control Department reported a case of the virus in the St. Amant area. The parish government said the area received additional treatment after the Louisiana Department of Health confirmed the case.

1st Case Of West Nile Virus Reported In Maryland This Year
                      July 23, 2018 at 2:06 pmFiled Under:West Nile

BALTIMORE (WJZ) ? The Maryland Department of Health announced the first confirmed and local case of West Nile virus in Maryland this year.

The patient is an adult who lives in the Baltimore metro region.

The Maryland Department of Health announced the first confirmed and local case of West Nile virus in Maryland this year.

Comment

Lake County confirms first 2018 human case of West Nile Virus
                        POSTED 4:20 PM, JULY 23, 2018, BY ANN DOMECK

LAKE COUNTY, Ohio ? The Lake County General Health District has confirmed this year?s first case of a human contracting West Nile Virus.

The illness is Ohio?s first of 2018 and Lake County?s first since 2017.

The Willoughby resident who contracted the disease is under the care of a doctor.
                        LAKE COUNTY, Ohio – The Lake County General Health District has confirmed this year’s first case of a human contracting West Nile Virus. The illness is Ohio’s first of 2018 and La…

Comment

Texas
                          2nd case of West Nile Virus reported in Travis County
                          by CBS AustinTuesday, July 24th 2018

AUSTIN, Texas — Austin Public Health has confirmed a second case of West Nile Virus in Travis County this year.
                          Additionally, two mosquito samples collected from traps in the Barton Creek greenbelt area tested positive for West Nile.
                          https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/2nd...-travis-county

Illinois
                          First 2018 Human Case of West Nile virus in DuPage County
                          Tue July 24, 2018

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

DuPage County-The DuPage County Health Department is reporting the first human case of West Nile virus (WNV) in DuPage County for 2018. A Wheaton resident in her 50s became ill in early July.

A recent increase in mosquito batches testing positive for the presence of WNV prompted the DuPage County Health Department to encourage county residents to protect themselves from mosquito bites and the risk of contracting WNV.
                          https://www.dupagehealth.org/news/Fi...InDuPageCounty

Comment

Current state counts (from media reports)

Alabama 1
                            Arizona 1
                            California 10
                            Illinois 2
                            Louisiana 6
                            Maryland 1
                            Mississippi 2
                            Nebraska 1
                            New York 1
                            North Carolina 1 (fatal)
                            North Dakota 2
                            Ohio 1
                            Oklahoma 1
                            South Dakota 1
                            Texas 6

Total 37

Comment

Illinois/ Wisconsin
                              07/25/2018, 05:59am
                              Aurora woman diagnosed with West Nile after trip to Wisconsin Dells

ByTaylor Hartz email

A woman has been diagnosed with West Nile Virus in west suburban Aurora.

The 38-year-old checked in to the emergency room at Rush Copley Medical Center in Aurora on July 5 with symptoms including headaches, fever, nausea and diarrhea and was recently diagnosed with the disease, according to the Will County Health Department.

The woman told authorities she was in the Wisconsin Dells about one week before her symptoms started, the department said.

Comment

West Nile Virus Disease Cases* and Presumptive Viremic Blood Donors by State ? United States, 2018 (as of July 24, 2018)

Click image for larger version

Name:	WNV.png
Views:	75
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	796883
                                *Includes confirmed and probable cases.
                                ?Includes cases reported as meningitis, encephalitis, or acute flaccid paralysis.
                                ?Presumptive viremic blood donors (PVDs) are people who had no symptoms at the time of donating blood through a blood collection agency, but whose blood tested positive when screened for the presence of West Nile virus. Some PVDs develop symptoms after donation.
                                Please refer to state health department web sites for further details regarding state case totals.

WNV infections in mosquitoes, birds, sentinel animals, or veterinary animals have been reported to CDC ArboNET from the following states: Arizona, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Washington, West Virginia, and Wisconsin.

Comparison to previous years:

July 25th 2017 - 67 cases, 1 fatal
                                August 2nd 2016 - 89 cases, 0 fatal
                                July 28th 2015 - 38 cases, 1 fatal
                                July 29th 2014 - 55 cases, 3 fatal
                                July 30th 2013 - 53 cases, 3 fatal
                                July 31st 2012 - 231 cases, 4 fatal

Comment

Working...
                                X