Link to 2016 thread: https://flutrackers.com/forum/forum/...west-nile-2016

Georgia
    Dougherty coroner confirms man who died had West Nile Virus
    If confirmed, West Nile death would be first in Georgia since 2014
    By Jim Hendricks

jim.hendricks@albanyherald.com

Mar 22, 2017 Updated 13 hrs ago (1)
    Dougherty coroner confirms report that man who died had West Nile Virus

ALBANY ? A Dougherty County man who died Wednesday had West Nile Virus, though it is not being considered the cause of death.

Dougherty County Coroner Michael Fowler confirmed Wednesday that an older Dougherty County man who had the virus died that morning, based on what he was told by the deceased man?s physician.

?This is the first (West Nile-related case) since I?ve been in office,? Fowler said. ?I?m doing the legwork on it now.?

Fowler said the doctor was not listing the virus as the cause of death because the patient had numerous other health issues as well.
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Man is infected by West Nile virus in Southern Nevada

Written by Kimberly Scott
    May 19, 2017

ST. GEORGE ? Nevada?s first 2017 human case of West Nile virus has been contracted by a man in Southern Nevada, public health officials reported Thursday.

The unidentified man, who is in his 50s, has the ?more serious neuroinvasive form? of the illness, according to a statement issued by the Southern Nevada Health District.
    ST. GEORGE — Nevada’s first 2017 human case of West Nile virus has been contracted by a man in Southern Nevada, public health officials reported Thursday. The unidentified man, who is in his 50s, has the “more serious neuroinvasive form” of the illness, according to a statement issued by the Southern Nevada Health District. There have […]

California
    HUMAN CASES
    YTD: 1 Counties: 1
    1 human case from 1 county has tested positive for WNV in 2017.

DEAD BIRDS
    YTD: 4 Counties: 4
    There was 1 new WNV positive dead bird reported in California this week from Sacramento County. This is the first indication of WNV from Sacramento County this year.
    4 dead birds from 4 counties have tested positive for WNV in 2017.

MOSQUITO SAMPLES
    YTD: 8 Counties: 4
    There were 3 new WNV positive mosquito samples reported in California this week from the following counties: San Bernardino (1), and Tulare (2). This is the first indication of WNV from San Bernardino County this year.
    8 mosquito samples from 4 counties have tested positive for WNV in 2017.

A mosquito sample may contain up to 50 individual mosquitoes.

SENTINEL CHICKENS
    YTD: 0 Counties: 0
    No sentinel chickens have tested positive for WNV in 2017.

Michigan
    Earliest appearance of West Nile in 10 years could mean more human cases
    Michael Kransz | mkransz@mlive.com By Michael Kransz | mkransz@mlive.com
    on May 19, 2017 at 12:51 PM, updated May 19, 2017 at 1:35 PM
    Health experts confirmed Friday the discovery of three birds that tested positive for West Nile virus in Michigan -- the earliest detection of the virus in the past decade.

The first detection of positive birds in the state this early into the year indicates a higher risk for human West Nile cases later in the summer, said Ned Walker, a researcher of mosquito-borne diseases at Michigan State University.

"Early bird positive means early season transmission activity and heightened early seasonal risk," Walker said. "More virus early, more human cases later."

The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Texas
      El Pasoan with health problems contracts West Nile Virus
      by Jamel ValenciaTuesday, May 23rd 2017

EL PASO, Texas (KFOX14/CBS4) ? Mosquitoes are in El Paso. Public health officials for El Paso say a person has contracted the West Nile Virus.
      This is the first case of the season, according to officials.
      The patient is a man in his mid-40s who had no reported travel outside of El Paso.
      Mosquitoes are in El Paso. Public health officials for El Paso say a person has contracted the West Nile Virus.This is the first case of the season, according to officials.The patient is a man in his mid-40s who had no reported travel outside of El Paso.T

Comment

Young boy dies mysteriously, symptoms match West Nile Virus
        Posted: May 29, 2017 8:30 PM EDT
        Updated: May 29, 2017 8:56 PM EDT

INDEPENDENCE, Mo. -- (05/29/2017) The death of Dennis Burd, an 8-year-old from Independence, Mo., has left his family in shock.
        While further testing remains to be done, a preliminary autopsy shows that the boy may have been sick with the West Nile Virus due to a mosquito bite. The medical examiner also said that Burd had pneumonia in both lungs. However, it could be another 6 months before the family knows with certainty what happened to the young boy.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	TX.png
Views:	111
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	777571

Comment

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
            June 9, 2017
            (785) 296-5795
            Matt.Keith@ks.gov
            West Nile virus arrives early in Kansas
            TOPEKA, Kan. ? The Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE) has discovered that four Culex
            species mosquito pools collected from traps in Reno, Shawnee and Johnson counties are positive for West
            Nile virus in preliminary testing, and that two birds in Shawnee County have tested positive for West Nile virus.
            In addition, Kansas is reporting the first case of West Nile virus in 2017 in a person from Barton County.
            These findings may indicate that West Nile virus transmission could occur much earlier in 2017 than in
            previous years.

The Culex species are known to transmit West Nile virus, but are not known to transmit Zika virus.
            West Nile virus can be spread to people through bites from infected mosquitoes, but it is not contagious from
            person to person. Symptoms range from a slight headache and low-grade fever to swelling of the brain or
            brain tissue and in rare cases, death. People who have had West Nile virus before are considered immune.
            KDHE has developed West Nile virus risk levels to help guide prevention efforts for both communities and
            individuals. These risk level reports will be posted weekly at http://www.kdheks.gov/epi/arboviral_disease.htm.
            All three regions of Kansas are currently at the high risk level.

Comment

Texas

Views:	104
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	777846

Comment

South Dakota
                First WNV Case Of Year Reported In Davison County

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Wednesday, June 14, 2017

First WNV Case Of Year Reported In Davison County

PIERRE, S.D. ? The Department of Health reminds South Dakotans to get in the habit of using mosquito repellent as the state?s first human West Nile virus (WNV) case of the year has been detected in Davison County in the 60-69 age group.
                ?Most people who contract West Nile virus, about 70-80 percent, don?t get sick but those who do can be severely ill,? said Dr. Lon Kightlinger, state epidemiologist for the department. ?While typical symptoms include fever, headache, body aches and rash, in severe cases WNV can invade the brain and spinal cord leading to stiff neck, confusion, paralysis, coma and even death.?
                Kightlinger said South Dakota has a disproportionately high number of WNV cases and he encouraged residents to reduce their risk with the following precautions:
                Apply mosquito repellents (DEET, picaridin, oil of lemon eucalyptus or IR3535) to clothes and exposed skin. Limit exposure by wearing pants and long sleeves in the evening.
                Limit time outdoors from dusk to dawn when Culex mosquitoes, the primary carrier of WNV in South Dakota, are most active.
                Get rid of standing water that gives mosquitoes a place to breed. Regularly change water in bird baths, outside pet dishes, and drain water from flower pots and garden containers.
                Support local mosquito control efforts.
                These precautions are especially important for people at high risk for WNV ? those over 50, pregnant women, transplant patients, individuals with diabetes or high blood pressure, and those with a history of alcohol abuse. People with severe or unusual headaches should see their physicians.
                Since its first human WNV case in 2002, the state has reported 2,359 human cases, including 745 hospitalizations and 38 deaths. Every county has reported cases.
                Visit the department?s website at westnile.sd.gov for more information about WNV.
                Preventing and controlling infectious disease is one objective of the Department of Health?s 2015-2020 strategic plan, http://doh.sd.gov/strategicplan.

Comment

Indiana
                  (IDSH) State Health Officials Urge Hoosiers to Take Precautions Against Mosquitoes as West Nile Virus Activity Increases
                  Start Date: 6/16/2017 Start Time: 12:00 AM
                  End Date: 6/16/2017

INDIANAPOLIS?The first 2017 cases of West Nile virus in humans have occurred in Indiana, and state health officials are urging Indiana residents to take steps to protect themselves from mosquito bites.

As of June 14, two human cases of West Nile virus have been documented in Hamilton and Lake counties, and mosquitoes in Morgan and Tippecanoe counties have tested positive for West Nile virus. The Indiana State Department of Health (ISDH) expects to continue to see increased West Nile activity throughout the state as the mosquito season progresses.

?Unfortunately, West Nile disease is a common occurrence in Indiana during mosquito season,? said State Health Commissioner Jerome Adams, M.D., M.P.H. ?When we find evidence of the virus in multiple counties, that means the risk is starting to increase statewide. Protecting yourself from mosquito bites and eliminating breeding grounds are the best ways to prevent mosquito-borne illnesses.?

California
                  LA County?s first human case of West Nile virus reported in San Gabriel Valley

By Stephanie K. Baer, The San Gabriel Valley Tribune
                  POSTED: 06/15/17, 5:18 PM PDT | UPDATED: 9 MINS AGO 0 COMMENTS
                  An elderly resident living in the San Gabriel Valley was hospitalized in late March after contracting West Nile virus, health officials said Thursday.

It was the first case of a human West Nile infection reported in Los Angeles County this year, according to a Los Angeles County Department of Public Health statement. The patient has since recovered from the virus, which is spread through the bite of mosquitoes.
                  An elderly resident living in the San Gabriel Valley was hospitalized in late March after contracting West Nile virus, health officials said Thursday.It was the first case of a human West Nile infe…

Comment

Texas
                    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
                    Kelly Hanes
                    Senior Public Information Officer
                    Tarrant County Public Health
                    817-321-5306 direct
                    817-401-5967 mobile
                    dkhanes@tarrantcounty.com
                    Be Mosquito Free, Prevent, Protect, Take Control
                    Positive Human Case of West Nile Virus
                    Confirmed in Tarrant County

June 19, 2016 (Tarrant County, TX) ? Tarrant County Public Health (TCPH) has confirmed the first human case of West Nile Virus (WNV) for the 2017 season.

The case is from Fort Worth and is the mild form of the disease -- not the severe form of West Nile Neuroinvasive Disease. Additional details are not being released to protect the identity of the patient.

In 2016, TCPH reported its first human case on July 13. For the entire 2016 season, TCPH reported 44 human cases of West Nile disease -- including one human death.

The mild form of the disease is commonly referred to as West Nile Fever. Symptoms include headache, fever, muscle and joint aches, nausea and fatigue. People typically recover on their own, although symptoms may last for several weeks.

The more severe form is often referred to as West Nile Neuroinvasive Disease. Symptoms include neck stiffness, stupor, disorientation, coma, tremors, convulsions, muscle weakness and paralysis. This form of the disease can be deadly.

TCPH would like to remind residents of the importance of taking personal protective measures to safeguard against West Nile Virus. Residents should routinely dump standing water on their property, use EPA-approved insect repellent, and dress in long sleeves and pants.

TCPH has produced two videos to help residents Eliminate Mosquito Breeding Sites and safely use Barrier Treatments to Prevent Mosquitoes.

# # #

You can follow Tarrant County Public Health

FacebookTwitterNextdoor.com

News release date: June 19, 2017

Comment

California
                      HUMAN CASES
                      YTD: 2 Counties: 2
                      There was 1 new WNV human case reported in California last week from Los Angeles County. This is the first WNV human case from Los Angeles County this year.
                      2 human cases from 2 counties have tested positive for WNV in 2017.

DEAD BIRDS
                      YTD: 25 Counties: 10
                      There have been 2 new WNV positive dead birds reported in California last week from San Bernardino (1) and San Diego (1) counties. This is the first WNV positive dead bird from San Bernardino County this year.
                      25 dead birds from 10 counties have tested positive for WNV in 2017.

MOSQUITO SAMPLES
                      YTD: 157 Counties: 10
                      There were 72 new WNV positive mosquito samples reported in California last week from the following counties: Kern (8), Los Angeles (5), Riverside (4), Sacramento (1), Tulare (53), and Yolo (1). This is the first WNV positive mosquito sample from Sacramento County this year. This is the first indication of WNV from Yolo County this year.
                      157 mosquito samples from 10 counties have tested positive for WNV in 2017.

A mosquito sample may contain up to 50 individual mosquitoes.

SENTINEL CHICKENS
                      YTD: 0 Counties: 0
                      No sentinel chickens have tested positive for WNV in 2017.

Comment

Mississippi Reports Its First West Nile Virus Human Case of 2017
                        Select Language​▼
                        June 23, 2017

JACKSON, Miss. ? Today the Mississippi State Department of Health (MSDH) reports the first human case of West Nile virus (WNV) in 2017. The reported case is in Forrest County.

The MSDH only reports laboratory-confirmed cases to the public. In 2016, Mississippi had 43 WNV cases and two deaths.

?While WNV can occur any time of the year, we are approaching the time of year when most cases occur, usually from July through September. Additionally we have identified mosquitoes from many areas in the state that have tested positive for West Nile in the past month, so now is time to really take precautions to avoid mosquito bites when going outdoors,? said MSDH State Epidemiologist Dr. Paul Byers.

In previous years, WNV has been reported from all parts of the state. All Mississippians are potentially at risk ? not just the areas where cases are reported.

Symptoms of WNV infection are often mild and may include fever, headache, nausea, vomiting, a rash, muscle weakness or swollen lymph nodes. In a small number of cases, infection can result in encephalitis or meningitis, which can lead to paralysis, coma and possibly death.

The MSDH suggests the following precautions to protect yourself and your environment from mosquito-borne illnesses:

Use a recommended mosquito repellent that contains DEET while you are outdoors.
                        Remove all sources of standing water around your home and yard to prevent mosquito breeding.
                        Wear loose, light-colored, long clothing to cover the arms and legs when outdoors.
                        Avoid areas where mosquitoes are prevalent.
                        For more information on mosquito-borne illnesses, visit the MSDH website at HealthyMS/westnile.

Follow MSDH by e-mail and social media at HealthyMS.com/connect.

Comment

Views:	113
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	778485

Comment

Texas
                            Officials can't rule out West Nile infection in our area
                            Posted: Jun 29, 2017 6:57 PM EDT
                            Updated: Jun 29, 2017 6:57 PM EDT
                            01:24 / 03:42

SAN PATRICIO COUNTY -
                            A serious form of infection caused by West Nile Virus has been confirmed in San Patricio County.

Called Neuroinvasive West Nile Disease (NWND), the infection occurs when West Nile virus infects the brain, spinal cord and central nervous system of a patient. This type of infection from the virus is considered rare but has a much higher chance of fatality or severe, sometimes permanent or long-lasting damage.

At time of writing, health officials in San Patricio County cannot rule out the possibility that the patient contracted the virus locally in our area, though they are not certain of where or how they became infected. What is known is that they are a resident of the area. Investigators are working to determine whether the patient had traveled elsewhere recently.

Comment

Colorado
                              First human case of West Mile reported: take precautions to avoid bites
                              DENVER ?As you head out for summer holiday celebrations, remember to take along insect repellent to protect yourself against West Nile virus. There has been one human case of the disease reported in Colorado so far this year.

Weekly mosquito testing for West Nile virus began statewide June 12. Adult mosquitoes are trapped and tested to provide an estimate of the number of infected mosquitoes. The results detect West Nile virus risk to humans in the area. West Nile virus-positive mosquitoes have been found in Larimer County this season. Not all counties and municipalities test mosquitoes, so it?s important for all Coloradans to take preventative steps throughout the summer.

?When the virus is present, people are at risk,? said Jennifer House, state public health veterinarian. ?Protecting yourself from mosquito bites is the No. 1 way to avoid getting any mosquito-borne illness. Use an effective insect repellent, wear protective clothing or stay indoors when mosquitoes are active, and mosquito-proof your home.?

In 2016, there were 149 human cases of West Nile virus in Colorado, including 8 deaths.

Most people who are infected with West Nile virus don?t have symptoms. About 20 percent have flu-like symptoms, and fewer than one percent develop a serious, potentially deadly illness. People over age 60 and those with certain medical conditions are at greater risk of serious illness. See a health care provider if you develop severe headaches or confusion.

To protect yourself:
                              Use insect repellents when you go outdoors. Repellents containing DEET, picaridin, IR3535, and some oil of lemon eucalyptus and para-menthane-diol products provide the best protection. Follow label instructions.
                              Limit outdoor activities at dusk and dawn, when mosquitoes that carry West Nile virus are most active.
                              Wear protective clothing (long pants, long-sleeved shirts and socks) in areas where mosquitoes are active. Spray clothes with insect repellent for extra protection.
                              To mosquito-proof your home:
                              Drain standing water around your house often. Empty water from tires, cans, flowerpots, clogged gutters, rain barrels, birdbaths, toys and puddles.
                              Install or repair screens on windows and doors.
                              For more information, visit the department?s West Nile virus web page. Check for human case numbers and mosquito trap results on the West Nile virus data page throughout the season.

Comment

Working...
                              X