• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IL: Cases of mystery virus at U of I Urbana

Source: http://foxillinois.com/news/local/he...irus-at-u-of-i

Cases of mystery virus at U of I
    by Senait Gebregiorgis
    Monday, February 26th 2018

URBANA, Ill. (WCCU) ? Local health officials are urging residents to practice good hygiene after multiple cases of a mystery virus at the University of Illinois.

Since the new year started, health officials at McKinley Health Center said while they have not had a confirmed case of mumps, they have seen several students showing signs of the illness, and want other students to be proactive in protecting themselves...

...?We do know that a small number of students with influenza will present with some swelling of the parotid gland and it looks a lot like mumps,? director of McKinley Health Center Robert Parker said.

Those patients were first tested for the flu, but all 12 came back negative.

?If the flu test is negative then it's a bit of a dilemma as to whether or not we're dealing with mumps or not,? Parker said. ?So we end up isolating the students up to five days while we wait for their blood work to come back.?

Doctors said none of the 12 students had a confirmed case of the mumps.

?We don't really know what virus it was -- they have viral symptoms, but we just call it a non-typeable virus,? Parker said...
Working...
X