Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meningitis in US

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Meningitis in US

    POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y. A graduate student who interned at a Hudson Valley elementary school has died five days after being hospitalized with bacterial meningitis.
    According to school and health officials, the Dutchess County resident attended the College of Saint Rose and interned as a speech pathologist the Alden Place Elementary School in Millbrook. Her name was not released.

    The woman died yesterday morning and was treated at Sharon Hospital in Sharon, Connecticut, and at Vassar Brothers Medical Center in Poughkeepsie.

    Officials tell the Poughkeepsie Journal all those who had close contact with the young woman have been advised to get antibiotic treatment as a precaution.

    Meningitis is an infection of the fluid in the spinal cord and brain. Bacterial meningitis may result in brain damage, hearing loss or learning disability. About 300 of the 25-hundred annual cases are fatal.

    It can be passed through close contact but is considered less contagious than the flu.

    Symptoms such as high fever, headache, rash and stiff neck may develop within several hours of infection or two days.

    http://www.wstm.com/Global/story.asp?S=4584912&nav=2aKD

  • #2
    Re: Meningitis in US

    y Katy Brandenburg
    News-Post Staff
    WALKERSVILLE -- A male student at Walkersville High School was diagnosed with viral meningitis earlier this week, according to Helen Monk, Frederick County Health Services specialist.

    The student is receiving medical care and has not returned to school at his parents' discretion, according to principal Rebecca Koontz. He is on his way to a full recovery, Ms. Koontz said.

    The school sent a letter home with students Wednesday informing parents of the situation. The letter included some facts about meningitis to alleviate any misconceptions about the virus.

    The virus is not airborne, Ms. Monk said, and is spread through close or direct contact with saliva or mucus, through kissing or sharing food, drinks or utensils.

    Meningitis can be caused by bacteria, viruses or fungi. Viral meningitis, an infection of the tissues that cover the brain and spinal cord, is the most common form. It is most often seen in children and young adults.

    Most cases are mild, according to the Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene.

    Symptoms include high fever, severe or sudden headache, sensitivity to light, vomiting or nausea and pain or stiffness in the shoulders, neck or spine. Symptoms usually begin within 10 days of exposure with the illness usually lasting fewer than 10 days; people usually recover fully.

    Bacterial meningitis can be treated with antibiotics, but viral meningitis cannot. However, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Web site, bacterial meningitis is far more serious. Frequent hand-washing can help prevent infection, while bed rest, fluids and over-the-counter pain medicine can ease symptoms and aid recovery.

    http://www.fredericknewspost.com/sec...?storyid=47107

    Comment

    Working...
    X