X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UTAH: HFMD Virus causing kids problems late in year

Virus causing kids problems late in year
    By Courtney Orton (KSL.com) December 2nd, 2011 @ 4:57pm

SALT LAKE CITY -- Doctors usually see respiratory viruses at this point in the year, but another fairly common virus is making an unusual appearance. It mainly affects kids, and it spreads before you even know you have it.

It starts with a fever that can last a few days. There are rarely other symptoms until day two or three when the sores associated with hand, foot and mouth disease show up.

He's better now, but when 11-month-old Staten came down with a fever, his mom Brooklyn Laybourne thought he might just be teething. A few days later, she noticed bumps all over his hands and feet, as well as sores in his mouth.

"The hardest part for me (were) the lesions that he got in his mouth because he wouldn't eat," Laybourne said.

Staten's pediatrician diagnosed him with hand, foot mouth disease, a contagious virus that his cousin had a week earlier.

Generally, the virus is not seen this late in the year. Dr. Peter Lindgren, who treats kids at Memorial Clinic in Salt Lake, has seen an unusual number of kids with hand, foot and mouth disease in recent weeks.

Doctors usually see respiratory viruses at this point in the year, but another fairly common virus is making an unusual appearance. It mainly affects kids, and it spreads before you even know you have it.
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.
Working...
X