Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scientists are racing against the clock to create a vaccine before the Ebola outbreak is over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scientists are racing against the clock to create a vaccine before the Ebola outbreak is over

Lack of Ebola Cases Shifts Vaccine Trials Away From Liberia

March 13, 2015

Scientists are racing against the clock to create a vaccine before the outbreak is over

See also:

Ebola control: effect of asymptomatic infection and acquired immunity
    Pets & COVID-19 coronavirus

“‘i love myself.’ the quietest. simplest. most powerful. revolution ever.” ---- nayyirah waheed
    Avatar: Franz Marc, Liegender Hund im Schnee 1911 (My posts are not intended as advice or professional assessments of any kind.)

What is the number of reported new cases per day now Emily?

Comment

They had no reported cases in Liberia for about 2 weeks, but just had one new one. They aren't sure how she got it yet. I'm not sure about the exact case counts in other countries, but I think there were only a few dozen cases in Guinea last week in spite of fact that recently health workers and the president of Guinea were saying that there was an organized effort to thwart efforts to contain outbreaks there.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/ebola-crisi...guinea-1488865
      Ebola Crisis: Red Cross workers attacked as virus conspiracies create panic in Guinea

By Elsa Buchanan
      February 23, 2015 15:50 GMT
      ... Almost simultaneously, mobs carried out another attack on the Red Cross' regional office 365km (227 miles) from the capital. "All our working equipment was looted," Traoré said.
      This comes despite extensive information campaigns put out by the government and all health professionals involved.
      "Paradoxically, people who have no access to the television, radio or the internet are staying in line, while people [from] localities with access to real information are turning against us.
      "Everyone should ask themselves, why? We've done all we could [information-wise], yet those rumours spread in localities near Conakry, [where people] have access to all the information."
      In January, President Condé authorised "the use of the police to arrest recalcitrants" in the fight against Ebola, after he claimed "there are people who do not want Ebola to end".
      Organised attacks
      Claudia Evers, Médecins Sans Frontières's Ebola emergency coordinator in Guinea, echoed Traoré's claims, adding the attacks are more organised now that they have been in the past.
      "We've had incidents since the beginning of Ebola, but these were more or less sporadic, and we could control them, and identify the different people in the communities who were behind the incidents."
      "We have not seen these kind of incidents, and the strength of these incidents, before. We are on high alert because it's the first time that it was clearly an organised attack."...

“‘i love myself.’ the quietest. simplest. most powerful. revolution ever.” ---- nayyirah waheed
      Avatar: Franz Marc, Liegender Hund im Schnee 1911 (My posts are not intended as advice or professional assessments of any kind.)

Comment

Thank you Emily. I also heard this morning about the Measles out break there, & hat it i suspected of being worse than the Ebola.

Comment

Race for Ebola vaccine heats up as cases slow

At least 15 Ebola vaccinations are being tested or developed, but as the rate of new infections drops, clinical trials could be jeopardized.

... But the rate of new infections has plummeted. Fewer than 100 cases per week, on average, are now being reported across West Africa, down from a peak of 1,000 last fall.

That decline, though welcome, could jeopardize the large clinical vaccine trials now under way.

“You cannot test a vaccine for Ebola if there’s no Ebola,” says Dr. Charlie Weller at the Wellcome Trust in the U.K., which has provided about $20 million in funding for vaccines, treatments and research...

Comment

Working...
          X