• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brace for dengue surge

By
    2017-05-21

By Umesh Moramudali

As the dengue epidemic has now reached crisis proportions, President Maithripala Sirisena last week called for a report on the efficacy of the Dengue Control Programme and declared an extended war on dengue for another three months beginning 1 June.

During a special meeting with the Presidential Task Force on Dengue Eradication, the President had revealed his plans to issue several new circulars to government departments and ministries regarding the prevention of dengue.

The dengue epidemic has reached an alarming level this year, with more than 45,000 dengue patients reported within the first 5 months of the year. According to the Epidemiology Unit, so far in 2017, some 117 people had died of dengue and 46,669 dengue cases were reported, with a substantial percentage of government institutions found guilty of failing to destroy dengue breeding places.

SL in ?big? trouble over dengue, warn experts

By Kumudini Hettiarachchi
    View(s): 273

Hit out at lack of commitment by politicians of all hues, who are not exposed to the dangers unlike ordinary citizens
    Need to question how the number of people affected rose so sharply, look for the cause rather than holding onto traditional thinking
    The ?mild and low? dengue season from January to May has seen a huge 47,000 people being struck down, with 125 deaths

Declare a state of ?health emergency? and use full force to battle dengue, is the urgent plea by experts as Sri Lanka slides further down the slippery slope, with this virus spread by a tiny mosquito rampaging at will.

As the country braces for the ?higher? dengue peak in June, it has in the ?mild and low? dengue season from January to May seen a huge 47,000 people being struck down, with 125 deaths so far. The dengue menace has taken a drastic turn for the worse coming close not only to last year?s full diseased numbers (61,000) but tragically also the death toll, in just five months this year.
    In recent times, before 2017, the highest number of cases of 35,000 and 346 deaths were in 2009. When comparing the situation between 2009 and 2017, with much improved clinical management the death toll has been kept down at 127, even with a caseload of 47,000, the Sunday Times learns. In 2009, there were 1.0% of deaths, while in these five months of 2017, it has been 0.26%.
    Is there a change in the disease pattern? Yes. From 2009 to 2016, Sri Lanka has faced DENV1 and DENV4. Currently what is wreaking havoc is DENV2. Experts say that the sequence of people who have earlier been hit by DENV1, now being exposed to DENV2 has caused the virulence to get worse.

2,211 dengue patients admitted so far
    -Dr. Vajira Dissanayake

Deputy Director of the Colombo North (Ragama)Teaching Hospital (CNTH), Dr. Vajira Dissanayake said there were 138 dengue patients in the ward as of midnight on May 14. A total of 2,211 dengue patients have been admitted to the CNTH within this year, with 22 deaths. She said wards were overcrowded with more than 90 patients to 40 beds. The nursing staff and minor staff are also severely inadequate, according to Dr. Vajira. She stressed on the importance of early diagnosis of the disease, because many deaths from dengue were due to the delay in seeking treatment, with patients only coming to hospital when they were in the critical phase.
    - See more at: http://www.dailymirror.lk/article/De....YNPGQuDJ.dpuf
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Nearly 5,000 dengue cases in South since January

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 01:00

P. P. G. Sugathadasa Thihagoda group corr

A total of 4,796 dengue cases has been reported in the Southern region from January until the middle of May this year.

According to Southern Regional Consultant Community Physician Harshani Ubesekara, they include 2008 dengue cases from the Galle district, 1,625 cases from the Matara district and 1,163 dengue patients from the Hambantota district.

The death toll from dengue was 20. They are 12 from the Galle district, seven from the Matara district and one from the Hambantota district.
      A total of 4,796 dengue cases has been reported in the Southern region from January until the middle of May this year. According to Southern Regional Consultant Community Physician Harshani Ubesekara, they include 2008 dengue cases from the Galle district, 1,625 cases from the Matara district and 1,163 dengue patients from the Hambantota district. The death toll from dengue was 20. They are 12 from the Galle district, seven from the Matara district and one from the Hambantota district.
      The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Mother of three falls prey to dengue

Friday, May 26, 2017 - 01:00
        Sigiriya special corr
        A 38-year-old mother of three died of dengue at the Dambulla hospital on May 23 while her 12-year-old child, husband and two sisters are receiving treatment for the same disease at the same hospital.

The deceased was H. M. I. G. Chandrika Sriyani Herath of 8th Canal road, Dambulla. She is the owner of a textile shop at the Dambulla bus stand.
        A 38-year-old mother of three died of dengue at the Dambulla hospital on May 23 while her 12-year-old child, husband and two sisters are receiving treatment for the same disease at the same hospital. The deceased was H. M. I. G. Chandrika Sriyani Herath of 8th Canal road, Dambulla. She is the owner of a textile shop at the Dambulla bus stand. Sources said her husband P. G. Wijesiri Pieris had of late returned home after a brief recovery.

Comment

Health Ministry cautions over rising Dengue cases; 49,000 patients recorded
          May 24, 2017 Mayooran Kantharvel Local, News Ticker, Top Slider 0

inShare
          Health Ministry cautions over rising Dengue cases; 49,000 patients recorded

One hundred and thirty people have died after contracting Dengue within the course of the year 2017

The Ministry of Health noted that over 49,000 patients had been recorded within this period.

Comment

Updated to May 26. 4,866 new cases in 7 days.

http://www.epid.gov.lk/web/index.php...d=448&lang=en#

Jan: 10,468 (-) (Highest January ever)
            Feb: 8,500 (-) (Highest February ever)
            Mar: 13,444 (-) (Highest March ever)
            Apr: 12,199 (+722) (Highest April ever)
            May: 8,623 (+4,144) (Highest May ever)

Total: 53,234

The Epidemiology Unit no longer reports fatalities. Official %cfr over the past few years has decreased from 0.65% in 2010 to 0.61% in 2011 to 0.41% in 2012 to 0.28% in 2013 to 0.21% in 2014 to 0.18% in 2015 and a preliminary 0.14% in 2016. This would allow an estimate of between 74 and 346 fatal cases so far in 2017, with the official figure on the lower side of this estimate. 130 fatalities from "over 49,000" cases (cfr 0.27%) have been reported in the media to May 25.

Comparison to Previous Years
            2016: 17,466 cases to May 26 (media 14 fatalities to April 23)
            2015: 14,479 cases to May 29 (media 26 fatalities to June 6)
            2014: 10,613 cases to May 27 (media 33 fatalities to May 24)
            2013: 13,500 cases to May 28 (media 35 fatalities to May 28)
            2012: 11,403 cases, 53 fatalities to May 18 (MOH did not update again until 6/15)
            2011: 6,077 cases, 54 fatalities to May 26

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	96
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	777091
              When the remains of a mother of three kids in Dambulla who died due to Dengue fever, another young boy who lived nearby the deceased’ house who was suffering from Dengue and was hospitalized has died. This has been reported as the third death due to Dengue in Dambulla. The deceased young lad is a 30 year old resident named Chaminda Kumara Dharmasena in canal road in Dambulla. Dambulla hospital resources... Hiru Gossip English Edition, Hiru news, Lanka Gossip News | Hirugossip | Hiru Gossip | Hiru Fm Gossip | Hiru Gossip Official Web Site | Lanka Gossip - Gossips from All Corners - A Rayynor Silva Holdings Company

Comment

Dengue cases so far this year is almost equal to number recorded in whole of 2016
                May 31, 2017, 10:58 pm

By Dilanthi Jayamanne

The Health Ministry?s Epidemiology Unit (EU) said yesterday that the total number of dengue cases in the country had topped 54,807 by Tuesday (30). The whole of last year had only 55,150 dengue patients.
                Sources said that from January this year to the end of May the dengue death toll had risen to over 130.

Comment

Updated to June 2. 3,653 new cases in 7 days.

Mar: 13,446 (+2) (Highest March ever)
                  Apr: 12,261 (+62) (Highest April ever)
                  May: 12,212 (+3,589) (Highest May ever)

Total: 56,887 (already more than any full year this decade)

The Epidemiology Unit no longer reports fatalities. Official %cfr over the past few years has decreased from 0.65% in 2010 to 0.61% in 2011 to 0.41% in 2012 to 0.28% in 2013 to 0.21% in 2014 to 0.18% in 2015 and a preliminary 0.14% in 2016. This would allow an estimate of between 79 and 369 fatal cases so far in 2017, with the official figure on the lower side of this estimate. 150 fatalities from 55,300 cases (cfr 0.27%) have been reported in the media to June 2.

2016: 17,801 cases to May 31 (media 14 fatalities to April 23)
                  2014: 11,106 cases to May 30 (media 33 fatalities to May 24)
                  2012: 11,403 cases, 53 fatalities to May 18 (MOH did not update again until 6/15)

Dengue takes the life of a Bhikkuni
                  By
                  2017-06-03
                  Venerable Kottawe Shantha Nanda Bhikkuni has passed away while being treated for dengue at the Sri Jayawardenepura Hospital.
                  At the time of her untimely death, the Bhikkuni had been 37, while she had had her initial education as a laywoman from Visakha Vidayala, Colombo 4.

GMOA asks Health Ministry to import life-saving drug to treat dengue
                  June 2, 2017, 10:04 pm

The Government Medical Officers? Association (GMOA) conducting a medical clinic for the flood affected.

By Dilanthi Jayamanne

The Government Medical Officers? Association (GMOA) yesterday said that a life saving drug used to treat dengue patients was in severe shortage.
                  Dr. Aluthge said it was not back to square one with over 55,300 dengue cases being detected within the first five months of this year besides 150 dengue related deaths. Out of every 10,000 dengue patients 30 died, he said.

Comment

Upsurge in dengue numbers

Don?t give NSAIDs for fever, urge experts

By Kumudini Hettiarachchi

A massive upsurge in dengue patients has been seen in the past 72 hours in hospitals, aggravating the situation of already very high numbers, experts warned yesterday.
                    The reason for this upsurge no one knows, but patients are flocking into hospitals, making the already overburdened system to groan and creak, which could lead to serious repercussions, an expert lamented, while many more were wringing their hands in despair.

The need right now is to declare a health emergency with regard to dengue, pull out all stops and face this crisis head-on, the source reiterated, pointing out that as the waters receded in the disaster-hit districts, the threat of dengue would worsen. Dengue patient numbers have reached 55,000 in just five months, with more than 170 deaths.

Comment

Updated to June 7. 2,873 new cases in 5 days.

Apr: 12,375 (+114) (Highest April ever)
                      May: 13,768 (+1,393) (Highest May ever)
                      June: 1,203 (+1,203)

Total: 59,760 (already more than any full year this decade)

The Epidemiology Unit no longer reports fatalities. Official %cfr over the past few years has decreased from 0.65% in 2010 to 0.61% in 2011 to 0.41% in 2012 to 0.28% in 2013 to 0.21% in 2014 to 0.18% in 2015 and a preliminary 0.14% in 2016. This would allow an estimate of between 84 and 388 fatal cases so far in 2017, with the official figure on the lower side of this estimate. 150 fatalities from 55,300 cases (cfr 0.27%) have been reported in the media to June 2. "More than 170 deaths" reported on June 4th.

2016: 17,801 cases to May 31 (media 14 fatalities to April 23)
                      2014: 11,106 cases to May 30 (media 33 fatalities to May 24)

Comment

IDH hits capacity; Dengue patients to be transferred to alternative hospitals
                        June 15, 2017 02:30 pm

By Ayshwarya Yapa
                        The Ministry of Health has taken measures to transfer Dengue patients to other hospitals, as the Angoda Infectious Disease Hospital (IDH) has reportedly hit capacity owing to the influx of Dengue patients.

Accordingly, Health Minister Dr. Rajitha Senaratne has instructed officials to implement a programme enabling the transfer of patients from IDH to the Colombo-North Teaching Hospital as well as other hospitals in Thalangama, Wethara and Piliyandala.

An estimated 450 patients are currently reported to be receiving treatment for Dengue at IDH, the majority of them being from regions outside of the Western Province.
                        The Ministry of Health has taken measures to transfer Dengue patients to other hospitals, as the Angoda Infectious Disease Hospital (IDH) has reportedly hit capacity owing to the influx of Dengue patients

Comment

A dengue control programme to be held on June 15, 16 in 21 districts

Friday, June 16, 2017 - 01:00

Nadira Gunatilleke
                          Health Ministry appeals for countrywide cleaning of homes, schools and offices:

The Health Ministry appeals to the public to use mosquito nets whenever they sleep and apply mosquito repellents at home, school and office. Every Friday from 9.30 am to 10. 30 am, the entire country should clean up their homes, schools, offices and all the other state and private institutions, Acting Director General of Health Services Dr. J.M.W. Jayasundara Bandara said.

According to Dr. Bandara, a total of 61,844 dengue patients and around 160 dengue deaths had been reported from all parts of the country during this year up to June 12.
                          Health Ministry appeals for countrywide cleaning of homes, schools and offices: The Health Ministry appeals to the public to use mosquito nets whenever they sleep and apply mosquito repellents at home, school and office. Every Friday from 9.30 am to 10. 30 am, the entire country should clean up their homes, schools, offices and all the other state and private institutions, Acting Director General of Health Services Dr. J.M.W. Jayasundara Bandara said.

* Sri Lanka begins one-hour a week dengue prevention program as the disease reaches epidemic level
                          Thu, Jun 15, 2017, 09:08 pm SL Time, ColomboPage News Desk, Sri Lanka.

June 15, Colombo: Presidential Task Force on Prevention of Dengue and the Ministry of Health have declared an hour every week for cleaning of houses, public institutions, and private company premises.

The program will be implemented from 9.30 a.m. to 10.30 a.m. every Friday, the Government Information Department said.

* New dengue treatment units set up in several hospitals
                          Fri, Jun 16, 2017, 08:27 am SL Time, ColomboPage News Desk, Sri Lanka.

June 16, Colombo: As the Infectious Disease Hospital is full with dengue patients the Health Ministry has taken steps to establish dengue treatment units at several hospitals, the Health Minister Dr. Rajitha Senaratne said.

Currently, there are over 450 dengue patients receiving treatment at the IDH and the Ministry has made arrangements to immediately purchase 200 more beds to the hospital, the Minister said.

Dengue Fever is fast spreading in Sri Lanka this year reaching an epidemic level. According to the epidemiology Unit of the Health Ministry, so far this year, 62,857 suspected dengue cases and 177 Deaths have been reported from all over the island. Approximately 43 percent of dengue cases were reported from the Western province.

Comment

Updated to June 16. 4,227 new cases in 10 days.

Apr: 12,378 (+3) (Highest April ever)
                            May: 14,344 (+576) (Highest May ever)
                            June: 4,851 (+3,648)

Total: 63,987 (already more than any full year this decade)

The Epidemiology Unit no longer reports fatalities. Official %cfr over the past few years has decreased from 0.65% in 2010 to 0.61% in 2011 to 0.41% in 2012 to 0.28% in 2013 to 0.21% in 2014 to 0.18% in 2015 and a preliminary 0.14% in 2016. This would allow an estimate of between 89 and 415 fatal cases so far in 2017, with the official figure on the lower side of this estimate. 177 fatalities from 62,857 cases (cfr 0.28%) have been reported in the media to June 16.

2016: 19,731 cases to June 24 (media 24 fatalities to June 16)
                            2015: 15,123 cases to June 11 (media 26 fatalities to June 6)
                            2014: 13,556 cases to June 12 (media 39 fatalities to June 1)
                            2013: 14,544 cases to June 13 (media 50 fatalities to June 21)
                            2012: 12,165 cases, 65 fatalities to June 15
                            2011: 7,612 cases, 66 fatalities to June 13

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	59
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	778033
                              ඩෙංගු අර්බුදයක් වන ලකුණු - ජාතික රෝහලට දිනකට උණ රෝගීන් 60 ක්. Most visited website in Sri Lanka.

Comment

Essential tests for Dengue within 30 minutes: SMLS
                                2017-06-18 23:03:19 1 3855

Following a request made by the President Maithripala Sirisena during a discussion held on Saturday (17) Laboratory Officers have initiated a programme where most essential tests for dengue patients such as Full Blood Count (FBC), Dengue Antigen or Antibody tests will be carried out within a very short period of time in order to make sure that the ever increasing number of dengue patients get treated on time. This programme will come into effect from Wednesday (21) a statement issued by the Sri Lanka Society for Medical Laboratory Science (SMLS) today said.

He said previously FBC test was performed after 3 days where they mainly check the platelet count of the patient as the platelets gradually decrease, however, during the recent outbreak in most cases Laboratory Officers identified the platelet count descends rapidly within two days.

- See more at: http://www.dailymirror.lk/article/Es....WlYIxvAY.dpuf

J?pura Hospital filled with dengue patients
                                2017-06-19 16:05:33 0 74

The Director of the Sri Jayewardenepura Hospital today said the hospital has stopped admitting dengue patients for the time being due to the lack of bed spaces in the ward.

Dr. Susitha Senaratne said the hospital has the capacity to treat 460 fever patients including dengue patients and as of now all beds are occupied.
                                - See more at: http://www.dailymirror.lk/article/J-....f9BqnDWW.dpuf

Dengue national disaster: 200 deaths, 63,987 cases this year

The number of dengue deaths has risen to 200 within six months, with the number of cases rising to 63,987 by yesterday, Health Minister Rajitha Senaratne said. He told a news conference yesterday that the dengue epidemic had become a national disaster and with the recent floods in the island the number was likely to increase.

* Sri Lankan President assures to meet the needs of the Infectious Disease Hospital
                                Sun, Jun 18, 2017, 09:14 pm SL Time, ColomboPage News Desk, Sri Lanka.

June 18, Colombo Sri Lankan President: President Maithripala Sirisena has assured to take immediate measures complete the requirements of the Infectious Disease Hospital (IDH) in Angoda.
                                The congestion at the hospital due to the admission of large number of Dengue patients was alleviated somewhat after sending some patients to the hospitals in Thalangama, Vethara and Piliyandala with required facilities.

Pvt. hospital charges for Dengue blood tests limited
                                2017-06-19

The charges for blood tests at private hospitals pertaining to dengue fever will be limited to 250 rupees from today onwards.

Furthermore charges for secondary stage Dengue tests will be limited to 1,000 rupees.

Comment

Working...
                                X