• Show
Clear All

• Yemen: 2017/2018 Cholera

Source: http://reliefweb.int/report/yemen/ye...rt-15-jan-2017

Yemen: Cholera Outbreak Situation Report | As of 15 Jan 2017
    from UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
    Published on 15 Jan 2017

Key Figures

As of 11 January 2017, 15,658 suspected cholera cases have been reported in 156 districts.

A total of 180 out of 841 cases have tested positive for Vibrio Cholera, serotype Ogawa.

Overall, the epidemic curve shows a declining trend from week 51 onwards, while the attack rate remains high in some high risk districts.

Health response is underway through 26 Diarrhea Treatment Centres (DTC) in 24 districts; while WASH partners are undertaking response in 29 districts.

An additional $3 million is being allocated through the 2017 HPF reserve allocation to address outstanding gaps...

Source: https://www.almasdarnews.com/article...emeni-capital/

Cholera outbreak hits Yemeni capital
    By Naseh Shaker -
    05/05/2017

SANA?A, YEMEN (6:20 P.M.) ? At least 200 cases of cholera have been reported in the Yemeni capital of Sana?a recently, local hospitals confirmed on Friday.

A joint statement released by hospitals in Sana?a revealed that 218 people have been affected by cholera, including 3 people who were killed by this disease...

Comment

Source: http://www.gulf-times.com/story/5475...n-outbreak-spr

34 dead of suspected cholera as Yemen outbreak spreads
      May 10 2017 12:59 AM
      AFP/Sanaa

Thirty-four people have died of cholera-related causes and more than 2,000 have been taken ill in Yemen, as humanitarian organisations warned yesterday that the outbreak could spiral out of control.
      This is the second wave of cholera-associated deaths in a year in Yemen, where deadly conflict has destroyed hospitals and left millions of people struggling to access food and clean water.
      ?There have been 34 cholera-associated deaths and 2,022 cases of acute watery diarrhoea in nine governorates, including Sanaa, during the period of April 27 to May 7,? a World Health Organisation official said.
      Doctors Without Borders (MSF) also said yesterday it had independently treated more than 780 cases of cholera and acute watery diarrhoea since March 30 in Yemen, calling the hike in numbers an ?outbreak?...

Comment

Source: http://www.iol.co.za/news/world/chol...ks-who-9071551

Cholera outbreak in Yemen kills 51 in two weeks: WHO
        World | 11 May 2017, 9:42pm
        DPA

New York - An outbreak of cholera in Yemen has killed 51 people in two weeks, the World Health Organization (WHO) said Thursday.

WHO has identified 2 752 suspected cases of the acute diarrhoeal infection in Yemen since April 27 and is opening ten oral rehydration therapy centres in the capital of Sana'a to try to stop the spread...

Comment

Cholera outbreak in war-torn Yemen spreading at ?unprecedented? speed, UN warns

19 May 2017 ? As war-torn Yemen grapples with heavy rains, a collapsed healthcare system and crippled economy, a resurgent cholera outbreak has spread with ?unprecedented? speed and taken medical professionals by surprise, the World Health Organization warned today.

According to WHO, more than 240 people have died from cholera in just the last three weeks, out of a total of 23,400 infections. The agency estimates that 7.6 million people live in areas at high risk of cholera transmission.

?I have to admit that when I see the data that I saw this morning, not officially released; are really taking us by surprise. The speed of the resurgence of the cholera epidemic is unprecedented? said Dr. Nevio Zagaria, the WHO representative in Yemen speaking to UN News in Geneva.
          Twitter: @RonanKelly13
          The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

WHO: 242 deaths, 23,425 cholera cases in Yemen

Cholera cases in country could reach 300,000 within six months, WHO Yemen representative says
            World Bulletin / News Desk
            More than 240 people died from cholera in the past three weeks in Yemen, according to the World Health Organization on Friday.
            "The total number of reported cases in three weeks in Yemen is 23,425 cases and 242 deaths," WHO Yemen representative, Nevio Zagaria, told reporters in UN Office at Geneva by phone.
            The cholera cases in the country could reach 300,000 within six months, Zagaria warned.
            The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

A CHOLERA OUTBREAK CLAIMS 315 LIVES IN YEMEN
              DECENT GIST Add Comment News Sunday, 21 May 2017

A cholera outbreak in war-ravaged Yemen has killed 315 people since April 27, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) said on Sunday.
              The cholera infection is continuing to spread across Yemen with more than 29,300 suspected cases reported in 19 of the country?s 22 provinces, the agency added in a tweet.
              The latest tallies come a day after the international charity organisation Doctors without Borders warned that the cholera outbreak could get out of control in Yemen.

Comment

Red Cross raises death toll of cholera outbreak in Yemen to 398
                efe-epaSanaa24 May 2017

The International Committee of the Red Cross raised on Wednesday the number of fatalities from the cholera epidemic in Yemen to 398, with about 40,000 possible cases of contagion.

Alexandre Faite‏
                @afaiteICRC

Second cargo plane arrived. Very much needed. Now 398 dead for close to 40'000 suspected cholera cases in Yemen.

Comment

suspected cases in Yemen
                  ENGLISH المصدر أونلاين منذ 10 ساعات تبليغ حذف
                  WHO reports 420 cholera deaths, 42,000 suspected cases in Yemen WHO reports 420 cholera deaths, 42,000 suspected cases in Yemen

الجمعة 26 مايو 2017 02:44 صباحاً

صحف نت - ALMASDARONLINE
                  The World Health Organization Office said that the cholera death toll has increased to 420 deaths, upto Thursday, most of which were recorded in the central province of Ibb, while the number of suspected cases has come to 42,207.

The organization said in a statement that there were 57 death cases in Ibb province, and 52 deaths in the provinces of Hajjah and Amran, north of the country.

This website is for sale! suhf.net is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, suhf.net has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

YEMEN: Acute watery diarrhea/ cholera outbreak
                    Situation Report #3
                    25 May 2017

Situation overview
                    ? The number of acute watery diarrhea
                    (AWD)/ suspected cholera cases
                    continue to increase at unprecedented
                    level in Yemen. More than half of the
                    total cases have been reported in Sana?a
                    City (Amanat Al-Asimah), Hajjah,
                    Amran and Sana?a governorates.
                    ? From 27 April to 24 May 2017, a total of
                    42,207 suspected cholera/ AWD cases
                    were reported from 19 governorates, Out
                    of the total reported cases, 420 deaths
                    were reported (1% case fatality rate).
                    ? The number of deaths reported over the last four weeks is almost three times higher than deaths reported from
                    October 2016 to March 2017.
                    ? A total of 313 cholera cases have been confirmed by laboratory testing.

Comment

Yemen: War in the time of cholera

Article29 MAY 2017
                      Yemen: War in the time of cholera

With almost 19 million reliant on aid, Yemen is the world's single largest humanitarian crisis.

Now it's in the grip of a cholera outbreak.

On 5 May, the Ministry of Health and Population in Sana'a declared a state of emergency. Since then, in only three short weeks, 52,000 cases have been reported ? along with 478 fatalities.

With the country's health care system decimated by two years of war, health care workers are struggling to cope. Today, only 45% of hospitals are operational - and medicines and medical supplies are in desperately-short supply
                      With over 20 million reliant on aid, Yemen is the world's single largest humanitarian crisis.Now it's in the grip of a deadly cholera outbreak.On 5 May, the Ministry of Health and Population in Sana'a declared a state of emergency. Nearly four months on, over 500,000 people are suspected to be ill with cholera, while around 2,000 people have lost their lives to the disease. Numbers affected are now expected double to 600,000 cases by the end of 2017.Health-care workers are struggling to cope, with the country's health-care system decimated by two years relentless war.

Comment

Source: http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.as...4#.WS9FQIVpeUk

Act before time runs out, urges UNICEF, as Yemen grapples with ?unprecedented? cholera outbreak

31 May 2017 ? Amid an ?unprecedented? increase in suspected cholera cases in war-torn Yemen ? where medical facilities are teetering on the edge of collapse ? the United Nations Children?s Fund (UNICEF) has stepped up its response but warned that time may be ?running out.?

?More and more children die every day in Yemen from preventable causes like malnutrition and cholera,? said Geert Cappelaere, UNICEF Regional Director for the Middle East and North Africa, in a statement yesterday.

?Anyone with a heart for children cannot let the situation continue. Stop the conflict [now],? he urged.

According to the UN agency, more than 65,000 suspected cases of the deadly disease have been reported in the country, of which about 10,000 were reported in the past 72 hours alone.

Some 532 people, including 109 children have succumbed to the disease over the past month. The numbers are feared to rise as more cases are verified.

Responding to the outbreak, UNICEF has sent in three aircrafts carrying over 40 metric tonnes of lifesaving supplies including medicines, oral rehydration salts (ORS), diarrhoea disease kits and intravenous fluids to treat more than 50,000 patients.

It is also helping provide chlorinated drinking water, disinfect wells and set up water filling stations and storage.

But needs continue to increase, with medicines and other vital medical equipment in short supply, said UNICEF.

This latest crisis comes as the country has been reeling under the effects of a conflict, now into its third year, that has rendered water treatment plants barely functional and water sources severely contaminated by sewage and uncollected garbage.

Half of the country?s health facilities aren?t working, and medical staff haven?t been paid for over eight months.

?The situation in Yemen is teetering on the verge of disaster [?] over 27 million Yemenis are staring at an unforgiving humanitarian catastrophe. The biggest victims of this man-made tragedy are Yemen?s most vulnerable population ? its children,? underscored Meritxell Rela?o UNICEF Representative in Yemen.

?The international community needs to support long-term investments in social services like water and sanitation. Otherwise, deadly disease outbreaks will strike again and kill many more.?

Comment

'Nearly 600 cholera deaths' in Yemen over past month
                          UNICEF says disease spreading fast, with number of suspected cases expected to reach 130,000 within the next two weeks.

The already dire situation for children is turning into a disaster [AJ Zeyad/Reuters]The already dire situation for children is turning into a disaster [AJ Zeyad/Reuters]
                          An estimated 70,000 cases of cholera have been reported by UNICEF in Yemen, with nearly 600 people dying over the past month, as the disease continues to spread at an alarming rate.

The UN agency, which provides humanitarian and developmental assistance to children and mothers in developing countries, said on Friday that the already dire situation for children in Yemen was quickly turning into a disaster.

"Cholera doesn't need a permit to cross a checkpoint or a border, nor does it differentiate between areas of political control," said Geert Cappelaere, UNICEF regional director, following his visit to the country, according to a statement on the agency?s website.

Yemen cholera outbreak: Hundreds dead in one month
                          He gave warning that "the number of suspected cases is expected to reach 130,000 within the next two weeks" in the Arabian Peninsula country.

UNICEF said at least 10,000 cholera cases were reported in the past 72 hours alone.

UNICEF says disease spreading fast, with number of suspected cases expected to reach 130,000 within the next two weeks.

Unprecedented spread of cholera in Yemen as health workers race against time to save children

SANAA/DJIBOUTI/AMMAN, 2 June, 2017 ? ?I have just concluded a trip to Yemen to oversee UNICEF?s response to the unprecedented cholera outbreak that is gripping the country.

?Cholera is spreading incredibly fast in Yemen, turning an already dire situation for children turn into a disaster. In just over one month, close to 70,000 cholera cases were reported with nearly 600 fatalities. The number of suspected cases is expected to reach 130,000 within the next two weeks.

?Cholera doesn?t need a permit to cross a checkpoint or a border, nor does it differentiate between areas of political control.

?At the triage in one of the few functioning hospitals I visited, I witnessed harrowing scenes of children who were barely alive - tiny babies weighing less than two kilos ? fighting for their lives.

?I fear that some of them must have died overnight.

?Many families could barely afford the cost of bringing their children to hospital.

?But they are the lucky ones. Countless children around Yemen die every day in silence from causes that can easily be prevented or treated like cholera, diarrhoea or malnutrition.

?I met health workers racing against time to prevent cholera from killing more children. They are dedicated and committed, despite not receiving their salaries in almost nine months. They are Yemen?s unsung heroes and we have to do everything possible to provide them with the medical supplies and the support they desperately need. All authorities in Yemen must come together to start paying the country?s civil servants again.

?Since the start of this outbreak four weeks ago, UNICEF has been working with partners to respond. Our teams on the ground have provided safe water to over 1 million people across Yemen and delivered over 40 tonnes of lifesaving medical equipment ? including medicine, oral rehydration salts, intravenous fluids and diarrhoea disease kits.

?But the international community needs to do more to provide immediate support to relief efforts in health, water and sanitation, nutrition and community mobilization. UNICEF urgently requires US$16 million to prevent the outbreak from spreading further.

?But most importantly, it is time for parties to the conflict to prioritise the boys and girls of Yemen and put an end to the fighting through a peaceful political agreement. This is the ultimate way to save the lives of children in Yemen, and to help them thrive.?

ENDs-

For more information

Juliette TOUMA, +962 79 867 4628, jtouma@unicef.org

Tamara Kummer, +962 79 758 8550, tkummer@unicef.org

Christopher Tidey, +1907 340 3017, ctidey@unicef.org
                          SANA’A/DJIBOUTI/AMMAN, 2 June, 2017 – “I have just concluded a trip to Yemen to oversee UNICEF’s response to the unprecedented cholera outbreak that is gripping the country.

Comment

DEATH TOLL OF CHOLERA IN YEMEN RISES TO 605: WHO
                            Death Toll of Cholera in Yemen Rises to 605: WHO
                            06:27 PM, 3 Jun, 2017 0

World Health Organization has warned that cholera is rapidly spreading as a deadly disease across Yemen.

On its official twitter account, the organization said over 73,700 suspected cholera cases and 605 associated deaths have been reported in nineteen governorates of the country.

Comment

Cholera death toll in Yemen rises to 676: WHO
                              More than 86,400 suspected cases of cholera recorded in war-torn Yemen

home > world, middle east 05.06.2017

By Mohammed al-Samei

SANAA

At least 676 people have died since a cholera epidemic broke out in war-torn Yemen in late April, according to the World Health Organization (WHO).

In a Twitter post on Monday, WHO said more than 86,400 suspected cases of cholera had been registered in 19 Yemeni provinces.

International organizations -- including the WHO, UNICEF and the International Committee of the Red Cross -- have recently stepped up the delivery of medical supplies to Yemen, where local health authorities are struggling to cope with the outbreak.
                              More than 86,400 suspected cases of cholera recorded in war-torn Yemen - Anadolu Ajansı

Comment

Working...
                              X