X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uganda: Cholera Outbreaks 2012

from New Vision

By Bernard Masereka

A cholera outbreak in Bukonzo West constituency in Kasese district has left one person dead.

One person died at Bwera hospital cholera treatment centre after he was admitted.

The medical superintendent Bwera hospital Dr. Alphonse Gatare told a meeting of stakeholders at Bwera hospital that nine people have died of cholera since October 2011.

"It's unfortunate that our people continue to die of such a primitive disease" Dr. Gatare noted.

He said that Nyakiyumba sub-county has registered the highest number of patients of cholera with about 100 people infected in the area since October last year. He said that all sub-counties in the constituency have reported cases of cholera.
    News and Press Release in English on Uganda about Health, Water Sanitation Hygiene and Epidemic; published on 15 Feb 2012 by New Vision
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Re: Uganda: One dead, over 100 infected with Cholera in Kasese district

Crof @ H5N1

Cholera strikes Mbale, kills two, 14 admitted

Posted Sunday, February 19 2012 at 00:00
    In Summary

An eerie cloud of fear now hangs over the villages of Busamaga, Namakwekwe, Nabweya and Namatala where the disease broke out.

MBALE

Authorities in Mbale District have ordered the closure of all eating places that do not meet minimum health standards following a cholera outbreak that has left two people dead and left 14 others admitted to hospital. This outbreak comes at a time when the district is facing water shortage for close to a week now.

The district health officer, Dr John Baptist Waniaye Waniaye told Sunday Monitor on Friday that about 14 people who had been admitted at Mbale Regional Hospital have been transferred to Busiu health centre IV Cholera treatment centre and that the district health technical team has already issued warnings to people to stop buying prepared food and drinks sold along the streets in Mbale suburbs, in order to curb further spread of the disease.

The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Re: Uganda: Cholera Outbreaks 2012

Source: http://www.ugpulse.com/uganda-news/h...eak/24126.aspx

Uganda Health News: Mbale battles cholera outbreak
      First published: 20120220 3:11:22 PM EST

Ultimate Media

A Chorela outbreak has been confirmed in Mbale district, with 2 deaths already reported.

According to the Uganda Red Cross society, at least 26 victims of the disease are admitted at Busuwo health centre...

Comment

Uganda: 280 Cholera Cases Registered
        BY TADDEO BWAMBALE, 9 MARCH 2012

The Ministry of Health has warned of an outbreak of cholera epidemic in several districts of Uganda.

The acting director general of health services, Dr Dennis Lwamafa said a total of 280 cases had so far been reported in Kasese, Mbale, Bududa and Buliisa districts.

"The Ministry of Health informs the general public that there is an outbreak of cholera in some parts of the country," he said in a press statement.

He revealed that some districts had also reported an increase in the cases of other water-related diseases including typhoid and dysentery.

The Ministry of Health has warned of an outbreak of cholera epidemic in several districts of Uganda.

Comment

Uganda Cholera in Mbale: Uganda Red Cross sprays homes of patients
          Report? Uganda Red Cross
          The Uganda Red Cross Society (URCS) has started spraying homes of cholera patients? in Mbale District as it works with authorities to reduce the spread of the disease in communities.

URCS has so far sprayed 40 homes of cholera patients in Busamaga Parish in Wanale Division and Namatala Parish in Industrial Division. Mbale district requested the Red Cross to conduct in-door spraying of the homes to combat the spread.
          To date, 105 cholera cases have been registered in Mbale district with 7 death. The new cholera treatment centres set up in Namatala and Busiu are still operational. As of March 15th, 3 people were still admitted at Namatala centre.
          News and Press Release in English on Uganda about Health, Water Sanitation Hygiene and Epidemic; published on 15 Mar 2012 by Uganda Red Cross

Comment

Source: http://www.newvision.co.ug/news/6300...-in-nebbi.html

Cholera kills 8 in Nebbi
            Publish Date: Apr 01, 2012
            By Benedict Okethwengu

At least eight people have been confirmed dead and over 150 others admitted in various health units following the outbreak of cholera in Nebbi district.

According to the survey carried by New Vision online the last Thursday, most of the victims affected by the disease are women and children.

Philbert Otto Acaye, the in-charge Akworo health center III said six people have been killed and 74 others have been admitted at the health center in the past one week...

Comment

Nebbi battles cholera as 10 die
              By Patrick Okaba & Felix Warom Okello (email the author)
              Posted Tuesday, April 3 2012 at 00:00

NEBBI

Two weeks ago, two children died of Cholera in Panyimur Sub-county, Nebbi District. Today, the death toll has risen to 10, while 255 are fighting for their lives.

At Dei Health Centre III, treatment centres have been erected but the shortage of medical personnel and equipment has made the situation dire.

Due to inadequate room at the facility, pale-looking children and their attendants have been huddled under trees, where bottles of intravenous fluids, fixed on tree branches, are being administered.

Comment

Cholera intensifies in Bududa District
                Report? Uganda Red Cross
                Tuesday, 10 April 2012 09:05 By Allan Kwero-Communications volunteer

A new cholera treatment centre has been set up at Bukigai Health Centre in Bududa district due to the increasing cholera cases. Already a cholera treatment centre had been established at Manafwa Health Centre although no case has been registered.

According to Uganda Red Cross Society (URCS) Bubulo Branch Manager Welikhe Alex, the situation is still worrying as new cases are increasing in other sub counties.

The Red Cross has intensified sensitization of the affected communities to curb the spread. Five people have died to the epidemic. The cumulative number of people affected and admitted is 90. 85 have since been discharged. Five people are still in hospital.

The most affected areas are; Kaato, Nalwanza, Bukigai, Bududa T/C, Bumyoka, Tsekululu, Bushika, Bulucheke, Buwali and Bududa Sub Counties.
                News and Press Release in English on Uganda about Health and Epidemic; published on 10 Apr 2012 by Uganda Red Cross

Comment

Cholera (Situation as of 31 March, 2012)
                  Map? World Health Organization

A total of 724 cases and 28 deaths (CFR: 4%) were reported from six districts

Event description

The Uganda Ministry of Health has reported cholera epidemics in 6 districts scattered across the country. The districts affected are Mbale, Sironko and Bududa in the Eastern region; Kasese and Buliisa districts in the West and South Western regions; and Nebbi district in the West Nile sub-region (Northern Uganda). Between the months of February and March 2012 a cumulative of 358 cases with 18 deaths (CFR = 5.0%) has been registered from the districts of Mbale, Sironko, Buliisa, Bududa and Nebbi. In Kasese district a cumulative of 366 cases including 10 deaths (CFR = 2.7%) have been registered as of March 2012. The causative agent for the cholera epidemics has been confirmed by the Central Public Health Laboratory (CPHL) as being Vibrio cholerae O1 biotype El Tor serotype Inaba.

Map in English on Uganda about Health and Epidemic; published on 12 Apr 2012 by WHO

Comment

Cholera patients reach 700 as health response drags in Nebbi
                    By Felix Warom Okello & Patrick Okaba (email the author)

Posted Saturday, April 21 2012 at 00:00
                    Cholera is still rife in Nebbi and yet far from getting under control with the recently reported infections reaching 701 cases.

About 200 more patients, in addition to earlier infections are still living in tent encampments following the disaster.
                    The District Health Inspector, Mr Anthony Andionzi, said: ?Singla market which receives a huge population of customers in Panyimur Sub-county is operating without latrines yet people still defecate directly into the lake which is used for drinking and cooking.?

Some 13 people have died from the bacterial infection while the rest remain bedridden.

Comment

Uganda Health News: Kibaale District Lake Albert Shores Hit By Cholera Outbreak
                      First published: 20120502 2:20:53 AM EST
                      Ultimate Media

The Lake Albert shores in Kibaale district are under grief after a cholera outbreak has started killing some of its residents.

The outbreak which was reported last week seemed to be on small scale and easy to contain but now has proved deadly after three deaths were reported yesterday.

Unconfirmed reports say that yesterday two people died and were hurriedly buried to avoid further spread of the disease.

Comment

Disaster relief emergency fund (DREF)
                        Uganda: Cholera
                        DREF operation n? MDRUG026
                        GLIDE n? EP-2012-000059-UGA
                        1 May 2012

Summary: The District Health Offices in Nebbi Hoima and Buliisa announced an outbreak of cholera in their districts. In Hoima, it has affected Kaiso Village
                        in Tonya Parish situated in Buseruka Sub-county while in Nebbi, three subcounties of Akworo, Panyimuri and Pakwach Town councils in Parambo
                        Sub-county are the most affected. New cases in Buliisa District have been
                        identified in Butiaba Sub-county, Butiaba Town Council and Kigwera
                        Sub-county. A cumulative total of 477 cases have so far been recorded in the
                        three districts with 11 deaths (Refer to Table 1). The URCS branches in the respective districts have mobilized 120 community based volunteers, some of whom were already trained hygiene promoters engaged in the previous EU funded water and sanitation project in the region and readied them for full engagement and mobilization of the affected and at-risk communities against the spread of the cholera epidemic.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Uganda.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	659053

Comment

Cholera breaks out in Zombo

By Patrick Okaba & Cissy Makumbi (email the author)

Posted Tuesday, May 8 2012 at 00:00
                          IN SUMMARY

The disease has also been reported in Zombo

NEBBI/ZOMBO/NWOYA

A least 15 people have so far died and 820 infections recorded at various health units in Nebbi District since cholera broke out in March.
                          The disease has now spread to neighbouring Zombo District where three people are reportedly infected. According to the district health educator in Nebbi, Mr Kitts Obima, communities seem to have forgotten necessary measures to combat the disease.

Comment

Uganda Health News: Cholera Attacks Nwoya District
                            First published: 20120512 9:53:05 AM EST

By Willy Cho woo

The ministry of health has been called upon to come to the aid of people in Nyoya district who are faced a cholera epidemic.

One person has died of cholera disease in Nwoya district a week after it invaded the district.

Comment

Cholera hits four districts, Red Cross intervenes
                              Report? Uganda Red Cross
                              By Paul Okot

The districts of Kibaale, Hoima,Bullisa and Nebbi have been hit by a cholera epidemic. Uganda Red Cross Society has trained and deployed 103 volunteers to support the Ministry of Health and districts health teams contain the epidemic.

The volunteers have been trained in epidemic control, participatory hygiene and sanitation transformation. Their role is to engage affected households in hygiene promotion.

As of May 22, Kibaale had registered 268 cumulative cases with 4 death, 505 cases and 8 death in Hoima, 819 cases and 16 death in Nebbi and 606 cases with 5 death in Bullisa.
                              News and Press Release in English on Uganda about Health, Water Sanitation Hygiene and Epidemic; published on 22 May 2012 by Uganda Red Cross

Comment

Working...
                              X