Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UK: 2013 Measles cases

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • UK: 2013 Measles cases

    Source: http://www.lancasterguardian.co.uk/n...sham-1-5313443


    Measles outbreak in Morecambe and Heysham
    Published on Monday 14 January 2013 16:43

    Around 40 cases of measles have been confirmed in Morecambe and Heysham.

    The Health Protection Agency (HPA) and local NHS services said there is an ongoing outbreak of the disease in the Morecambe Bay area.

    The cases are mainly in unvaccinated schoolchildren and parents are being urged to ensure that their children, including teenage children, are protected by two doses of MMR vaccine...

  • #2
    Re: UK: 2013 Measles cases

    Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-21025531


    15 January 2013 Last updated at 06:25 ET
    James Cook Hospital measles alert


    Health bosses have sent out warning letters after two patients at a Teesside hospital were later found to have suspected measles.

    About 200 inpatients at Middlesbrough's James Cook University Hospital have been alerted to look out for symptoms.

    The health trust said that as both of those affected were in single rooms, in wards 3 and 15, they would only have posed a very low risk to anyone else...

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: UK: 2013 Measles cases

      Source: http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/new...sles_outbreak/

      ealth bosses issue warning after measles outbreak

      3:38pm Tuesday 22nd January 2013 in News Photograph of the Author By Barry Nelson, Health Editor

      NORTH-EAST health bosses have issued a measles alert after almost fifty confirmed cases of the illness in recent months.

      The Health Protection Agency in the North-East described the outbreak as "very serious" and predicted that we are likely to see "many more cases" before it is over.

      Officials urged adults to check whether they and their children are protected - by having two doses of the MMR vaccine.

      Forty-six confirmed cases have been reported in the North-East since the beginning of September last year with a further 50 suspected cases. This compares with a total of 18 confirmed cases in 2011...

      ...Worryingly, a quarter of cases have needed hospital treatment...

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: UK: 2013 Measles cases

        Source: http://www.berwick-advertiser.co.uk/...ease-1-2774760

        Monday 4 February 2013
        Measles numbers are still on the increase
        Published on Monday 4 February 2013 15:15

        THE latest figures for the on-going measles outbreak in the north east published by the Health Protection Agency (HPA) show there are now over 120 suspected cases.

        Since the beginning of September, when the numbers started increasing, 63 confirmed cases and 63 suspected cases of the illness have now been reported.

        This is an increase of seven confirmed and 14 suspected cases on the previous week.

        The majority of cases continue to be in unvaccinated school children and young adults aged between 10 and 30 years...

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: UK: 2013 Measles cases

          Source: http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/nort...5578-32786852/

          Measles vaccination plea after rise in infections

          By Gary Porter
          Feb 11 2013

          Ten cases of measles have been reported in North Wales so far this year – as latest figures show the number of people struck by the disease is at an 18-year high.

          There were 2,016 confirmed cases of measles in England and Wales during 2012 – the largest annual total since 1994, the Health Protection Agency has confirmed.

          In Wales 116 people were hit by the highly-infectious disease, which in severe circumstances can be fatal.

          Figures published on the HPA website also reveal that ten suspected cases of measles have been reported in the region in the first five weeks of 2013...

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: UK: 2013 Measles cases

            Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-21416878

            11 February 2013 Last updated at 11:33 ET
            Confirmed cases of measles in North East tops 80

            The number of confirmed cases of measles across the north east of England is continuing to rise, according to health officials.

            The Health Protection Agency (HPA) has already declared the outbreak as one of the worst in recent years.

            Since September there have been 73 suspected and 82 confirmed cases, compared to just 18 confirmed in 2011.

            A spokesman for the HPA said 46% of the confirmed cases (38) had required hospital treatment.

            The agency said most of all the cases were in unvaccinated school children and young adults, with more than 50% aged between 10 and 30...

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: UK: 2013 Measles cases

              Source: http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/new...he_North_East/


              Measles cases break through the 100 barrier in the North-East
              4:44pm Monday 18th February 2013 in News Photograph of the Author By Barry Nelson, Health Editor

              THE number of confirmed measles cases in the North-East has broken through the 100 barrier, with another 93 suspected cases...

              ...Since the beginning of September 2012, when the numbers started increasing, 104 confirmed cases and 93 suspected cases of the illness have now been reported. This is an increase of 22 confirmed and 20 suspected cases on the previous week...

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: UK: 2013 Measles cases

                Source: http://www.heart.co.uk/gloucestershi...oucestershire/

                HPA Warns Of Measles In Gloucestershire
                Helath Protection Agency

                After a significant rise in measles cases in Gloucestershire, health professionals are asking parents and adults (specifically those born after 1988, after the introduction of the MMR vaccination, who may have missed out on MMR as a child) to check their Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR) vaccination history to ensure they and their children have received the required two doses of MMR.

                Anyone who needs advice or is not sure about their vaccination history should contact the practice nurse at their GP practice.

                The advice follows a total of 62 confirmed cases in the county between October 2012 and January 2013...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: UK: 2013 Measles cases

                  Source: http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....accine-1335982

                  Measles rate surges 7-fold
                  20 Feb 2013 18:25

                  Vaccine scare is blamed for the huge increase to 149 last year, compared to 21 in 2011, as health chiefs say 2013 could be even worse

                  ...The surge is believed to be continuing this year – with 37 more cases already seen in 2013.

                  The worst affected parts of the region so far this year have been Stockport, Bolton and Wigan. Last year Bolton had 69 cases, compared to just 1 in 2011, and Manchester’s rate went from 1 to 16. Health officials believe the number of cases is rising because parents are not taking their children to have the MMR vaccine – which protects against the potentially fatal disease...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: UK: 2013 Measles cases

                    Source: http://www.jarrowandhebburngazette.c...wing-1-5431077

                    Jab plea as measles cases keep growing
                    Published on Wednesday 20 February 2013 19:00

                    PARENTS in South Tyneside are being urged to help keep South Tyneside free of measles as the number of cases continues to rise across the North East.

                    South Tyneside is clear of the disease, according to figures from the Health Protection Agency.

                    So far, there have been 104 confirmed cases of measles and 93 suspected cases in the region. This is an increase of 22 confirmed and 20 suspected incidents on the previous week...

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: UK: 2013 Measles cases

                      Source: http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/new...ss_the_region/

                      New and suspected cases of measles are reported across the region

                      4:28pm Monday 25th February 2013 in News Photograph of the Author By Barry Nelson, Health Editor

                      THE number of confirmed measles cases in the region has now reached a total of 115, with another 108 suspected cases.

                      The latest figures for the on-going measles outbreak in the North East have been published by the Health Protection Agency (HPA)...

                      ...There has been an increase of 11 confirmed and 15 suspected cases since last week.

                      Initially, cases were being reported in the County Durham and Darlington areas but from early January, the majority of cases have been reported on Teesside...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: UK: 2013 Measles cases

                        Source: http://www.southportvisiter.co.uk/so...1022-32877468/

                        Sefton residents warned to protect themselves against measles
                        Feb 26 2013 by Sam Yarwood, Midweek Visiter

                        RESIDENTS in Sefton are being urged to protect themselves against measles after the number of confirmed cases reached its highest in 18 years.

                        According to figures released earlier this month by the Health Protection Agency (HPA), the North West accounted for more than 42% of cases in 2012 – most of those being in Liverpool and the Liverpool city region...

                        ...Dr Janet Atherton, Sefton’s director of public health, said: “In 2012, Sefton was one of the worst hit areas for measles and we have already had nearly 20 cases confirmed this year...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: UK: 2013 Measles cases

                          Source: http://www.wigantoday.net/news/measl...hard-1-5457560

                          Measles outbreak hits Wigan hard
                          Published on Thursday 28 February 2013 14:38

                          WIGAN has been one of the worst areas affected by the measles outbreak.

                          There were 149 confirmed cases of the illness in the region last year compared to just 21 in 2011, according to statistics from the Health Protection Agency.

                          The surge is believed to be continuing this year – with 37 more cases already seen in 2013...

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: UK: 2013 Measles cases

                            Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-21622746

                            Measles: 189 cases in Swansea, Neath and Port Talbot
                            28 February 2013 Last updated at 12:34 ET Help

                            About 8,500 children in Neath-Port Talbot and Swansea could be at risk of measles because they have not had their full vaccines...

                            ...There have been 190 cases over the past four months with 20 in just the past week. There were 116 in the whole of Wales in the whole of 2012...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: UK: 2013 Measles cases

                              Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-s...wales-21626551


                              1 March 2013 Last updated at 05:01 ET
                              Measles : Vaccination call after south west Wales outbreak

                              People who may be at risk of measles are being urged to have the MMR vaccine following an outbreak in south west Wales.

                              There have been a reported 189 cases of the infection in Swansea and Neath-Port Talbot since November, more than the whole of Wales in the past three years...

                              ...The outbreak so far only affects the Abertawe Bro Morgannwg University Health Board area, where 32 secondary schools, primary schools and nurseries are affected...

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X