• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ME: 2011 Whooping cough cases

Source: http://www.wlbz2.com/news/article/15...whooping-cough

Two Brewer students diagnosed with whooping cough
    7:32 PM, Mar 28, 2011

BREWER, Maine (NEWS CENTER) -- Officials at a school in Brewer say they have two kids with confirmed cases of whooping cough...

Re: ME: 2011 Whooping cough cases

<TABLE class=contentpaneopen><TBODY><TR><TD class=contentheading width="100%">CDC to hold vaccination clinics to curtail whooping cough outbreak </TD><TD class=buttonheading width="100%" align=right></TD><TD class=buttonheading width="100%" align=right></TD><TD class=buttonheading width="100%" align=right></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=contentpaneopen><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>
    Written by Becky McGlauflin

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=createdate vAlign=top>Thursday, 17 November 2011 05:42 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

DEXTER ? Thirty cases of pertussis, commonly known as whooping cough, have been confirmed in the Ridge View Community School in Dexter as of Monday, according to Principal Mike Tracy. All of those children, however, were taken to their doctors very quickly and are being treated.

?We believe we are on the other end of it, although I?m certain that number will rise a bit because the test results are coming back now,? said Tracy. He is optimistic because the absentee rate is back down to 18 percent after the high last week of 26 percent.

Pertussis is a highly contagious bacterial disease of the upper respiratory system. It causes such severe coughing episodes that affected people find it almost impossible to catch their breath. When they are finally able to inhale, it creates a deep ?whooping? sound. Initial symptoms are similar to the common cold and the coughing starts about 10-12 days later. The infection can last 10 weeks or more, and is sometimes called the ?100-day cough.?

The Maine Center for Disease Control (CDC) has been working very closely with the Ridge View School, both on campus and through daily communication with the school nurse. They have checked vaccination records to see which students need booster shots of Tdap, the vaccine for tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis. They will be holding vaccination clinics at the Ridge View School and Dexter High School on Friday, Nov. 18 with permission from parents.

More...
    "Safety and security don't just happen, they are the result of collective consensus and public investment. We owe our children, the most vulnerable citizens in our society, a life free of violence and fear."
    -Nelson Mandela

Comment

Source: http://bangordailynews.com/2011/12/2...ents-infected/

Dexter school hopes whooping cough has run its course after 33 students infected
      By Bill Pearson, Piscataquis Observer
      Posted Dec. 28, 2011, at 1:22 p.m.

DEXTER, Maine ? Officials here hope they have seen the last of a whooping cough outbreak that has infected 33 students in the district so far this school year.

The district?s last reported whooping cough case occurred on Nov. 17. When SAD 46 students return to school from winter break on Jan. 3 there will have been more than the 42 days ? or two complete incubation cycles ? for the pertussis virus, also known as whooping cough, to dissipate...

Comment

Source: http://www.mpbn.net/Home/tabid/36/ct...6/Default.aspx

Whooping Cough Cases up in Maine in 2011
        01/11/2012 04:03 PM ET

State health officials say there were 204 cases of the disease in 2011, compared with 53 in 2010...

Comment

Working...
        X