June 29, 2015

Southern Crescent sculptor Andy Davis tapped to create King statue for state

Staff writers Asia Ashley, Johnny Jackson and Heather Middleton contributed to this report.

ATLANTA ? Henry County sculptor Andy Davis has been selected to create the long-awaited statue of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. that will stand on the Georgia Capitol grounds, announced Gov. Deal Monday morning.
Davis said he is honored but humbled by the appointment. "This is quite an honor to do this," he said Monday morning. "I've been given a huge responsibility. I'm excited and happy, but there's a blanket of burden because the whole world is going to see this. I've got a responsibility to lead my hands and my eyes to create this piece.
"Georgia will be proud," Davis continued. "It's going to be a masterpiece."
Welch added that within a 20-hour period of mentioning the King project to Davis, Davis had already completed a draft of King's face.
"It was striking how accurate it was," Welch said...

Popular Atlanta artist dies following crash
Posted: Jul 12, 2015 12:11 PM PST Updated: Jul 13, 2015 12:35 PM PST By Wesley Goheen, Digital Producer Connect

By Mandi Milligan, Senior Digital Producer
HENRY COUNTY, GA (CBS46) - A popular Atlanta artist who was commissioned to create a sculpture of Martin Luther King Jr. that was to be featured on the grounds of the Georgia Capitol has died.
Andy Davis was traveling on his motorcycle when he was rear-ended by a suspected drunk driver in Henry County early Saturday morning...
Biography Of American Artist Andy Davis

Davis has been recognized as one of few self-taught American artists to have the skills of an American Master. In 2001 after the unveiling of two sculptures the (Police Memorial and the September 11th United Indeed ) he was considered Atlanta?s newly discovered ?missing link? in the visual arts.
?Every once in a blue moon someone grabs your attention because their unearthly talents stops you in your tracks. These extraordinary talents simply defy all that we know about humanity?Andy Davis is one such person?.
CDC on drunk driving: