• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thousands cancel pilgrimage amid swine flu fears

Source: http://www.arabianbusiness.com/55504...wine-flu-fears

Thousands cancel pilgrimage amid swine flu fears
    by Joanna Hartley on Saturday, 09 May 2009

Thousands of Egyptians have cancelled their plans to travel to Saudi Arabia on their minor pilgrimage later in May due to fearts about swine flu, it was reported on Saturday.

Figures from the Chamber of Commerce show that booking rates are down by 60 percent for the Umra to Makkah, according to vice president of the chamber Nasser Turki.

The cancellations followed an announcement by the health minister that he was considering banning pilgrims from traveling for three weeks as part of the Egyptian government?s response to the outbreak of H1N1, Turki said, according to Egyptian website Almasny Alyoum.

The Middle East has only seen seven confirmed cases of swine flu that have been limited to Israeli citizens, a number of whom had recently been in Mexico, the epicentre of the outbreak.

Re: Thousands cancel pilgrimage amid swine flu fears

We have had at least one boy who was quarantined with a suspected case of H1N1.

Egypt - Cairo Airport Installs Heat Sensors to Detect Disease, Garbage in Streets Hampers Disease Control Efforts
    Please do not ask me for medical advice, I am not a medical doctor.

Avatar is a painting by Alan Pollack, titled, "Plague". I'm sure it was an accident that the plague girl happened to look almost like my twin.
    Thank you,
    Shannon Bennett

Comment

Re: Thousands cancel pilgrimage amid swine flu fears

Originally posted by Shiloh View Post
      Source: http://www.arabianbusiness.com/55504...wine-flu-fears

Thousands cancel pilgrimage amid swine flu fears
      by Joanna Hartley on Saturday, 09 May 2009

Thousands of Egyptians have cancelled their plans to travel to Saudi Arabia on their minor pilgrimage later in May due to fearts about swine flu, it was reported on Saturday.

Figures from the Chamber of Commerce show that booking rates are down by 60 percent for the Umra to Makkah, according to vice president of the chamber Nasser Turki.

The cancellations followed an announcement by the health minister that he was considering banning pilgrims from traveling for three weeks as part of the Egyptian government?s response to the outbreak of H1N1, Turki said, according to Egyptian website Almasny Alyoum.

The Middle East has only seen seven confirmed cases of swine flu that have been limited to Israeli citizens, a number of whom had recently been in Mexico, the epicentre of the outbreak.
      This is a very prudent and smart move - surprizing, and welcomed.

Comment

Working...
      X