Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Egypt - 1 Suspected Case of Bird Flu (quarantined) and 2 Cases of Swine Flu in Menoufia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Egypt - 1 Suspected Case of Bird Flu (quarantined) and 2 Cases of Swine Flu in Menoufia

[I'm not sure what to think of this.]

3 cases of infection with bird flu and swine Menoufia

Tuesday, February 9th, 2010 - 14:44

Caption: 3 cases of infection with bird flu and swine Menoufia

Said Dr.. Hesham Atta and Undersecretary of the Ministry of Health Menoufia Fever Hospital Menouf Echmoun detained and 3 cases of bird flu Menouf City and two are positive swine flu Pudong Ashmun.

Atta confirmed that the first case of bird flu to a student, Jalal Ibrahim Abdel Razek 17-year resident Menouf city organized by breeding domestic birds, positive cases of swine flu, named Ihab Mohamed Abdel Hamid, a 17-year center of Kafr Pharaonic Ashmun and the second case of a girl we called Sobhi Ibrahim, a resident of Kafr Bazbp strange .

Sampling of infected cases to be analyzed and sent to the central laboratories, which had proved positive.

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&sl=ar&tl=en&u=http://www.youm7.com/News.asp%3FNewsID%3D187467%26SecID%3D97%26IssueID% 3D87&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&usg=ALkJrhg 73XAlJD3Iy-Er9dKCSKemnLgzcw

Re: 3 cases of infection with bird flu and swine Menoufia

I think this is 1 case of bird flu and 2 cases of swine flu.

Comment

Re: 3 cases of infection with bird flu and swine Menoufia

I agree. But they do need to be more specific. Especially in these times...

"detained 3 cases of bird flu ...and two are positive swine flu".

Comment

Re: Egypt - 1 Case of Bird Flu and 2 Cases of Swine Flu in Menoufia

I have checked several other sources for the bird flu case but they are not online yet. Maybe in tomorrow's papers.

Comment

Bird flu cases in Egypt usually get numbered if confirmed (this would be #98). I don't think this is a confirmed bird flu case. It might be suspected bird flu because of the mentioned contact with birds.

Also keep in mind that "bird and swine flu" is sometimes what Google translator makes out of "pig flu", needlessly inserting the word "bird". Time to ask Twall what the Arabic says, but this might just be three H1N1 cases.

Comment

We have not added the bird flu case to our totals - yet.

Comment

I just messed around in Google Translator with taking various words out of the title of the thread and translating anyway, and it does appear that the Arabic words for "flu", "pigs", and "birds" are all there.

Of course, I'm not sure what the article really means. Youm7 has mistakenly written the wrong flu before. This really doesn't look like a report of a confirmed H5N1 case.

Comment

Atta confirmed that the first case of bird flu to a student, Jalal Ibrahim Abdel Razek 17-year resident Menouf city organized by breeding domestic birds
                Atta may simply be confirming that there are three suspected influenza cases, rather than confirming the kind of infection. Referencing 'breeding domestic birds" leads to the suspicion of an H5N1 infection in Jalal Ibrahim. Whether the H5N1 case is confirmed will depend additional MOH confirmation about the samples, and as alert notes, the assignment of a "case number" to the individual.
                http://novel-infectious-diseases.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Laidback Al View Post
                  Atta may simply be confirming that there are three suspected influenza cases, rather than confirming the kind of infection. Referencing 'breeding domestic birds" leads to the suspicion of an H5N1 infection in Jalal Ibrahim. Whether the H5N1 case is confirmed will depend additional MOH confirmation about the samples, and as alert notes, the assignment of a "case number" to the individual.
                  I think I agree with you. But the last line indicates that someone's samples had tested positive for something (I think maybe it is the H1N1 cases with no poultry exposure).

Comment

its very badly written even the Arabic. reads like it could be a total of five cases.then they only mention three names.

from all of it they confirm one is a suspect for h5n1 due to exposure to birds in the home.this person is quarantined currently.

the two positives are both for H1N1 all the names are in the correct places along with the villages based on the article.

the emoh site has not been updated since 2/7

Comment

Thanks Twall!

Comment

Originally posted by Twall View Post
                        its very badly written even the Arabic. reads like it could be a total of five cases.then they only mention three names.

from all of it they confirm one is a suspect for h5n1 due to exposure to birds in the home.this person is quarantined currently.

the two positives are both for H1N1 all the names are in the correct places along with the villages based on the article.

the emoh site has not been updated since 2/7
                        I have noticed that some of the articles (some of the authors?) in that source are almost incomprehensible independent of the translator.

So it appears to be one suspect (but not yet confirmed) H5N1 with contact with poultry, and two confirmed H1N1 without contact with poultry.

Comment

Re: Egypt - 1 Suspected Case of Bird Flu (quarantined) and 2 Cases of Swine Flu in Menoufia

Judging by the ages, I don't think the 17-year old suspect H5N1 case here is either #98 or #99. Perhaps it was not confirmed, or perhaps the age is badly wrong.

Comment

Re: Egypt - 1 Suspected Case of Bird Flu (quarantined) and 2 Cases of Swine Flu in Menoufia

I agree alert. I'll keep the 17 yo on my detailed list, regardless.

Comment

Working...
                            X