Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Abassiya Fever Hospital not really ready ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abassiya Fever Hospital not really ready ?

whats below is a pretty blunt correct assessment of some of the services I have used over the years here. I inspected the delivery room where my children were both delivered by c-section sterile instrument packs were open and missing items.some were on the shelfs a couple of years based on the packaging dates some of the meds on hand were outdated and the or doors were found wide open when we went to visit.

during the delivery one of the hospitals orderly came inside the or, headed toward the table, reached in his pocket and pulled out a roll of filthy money! looking for change the doctor is a friend on mine i chased the orderly out of the room. the orderly was fired.

and this took place at one of the better privet hospitals back then.

here you really do need to pack for the hospital.

Thursday 11 June 2009 - 02:41 PM
    Fever Hospital Unprepared for Swine Flu Outbreak

The identification of two new more cases of swine flu infection today continues to raise fears about the disease?s spread in Egypt. Reports Lina Attalah

The Ministry of Health officials reported the identification of two cases of H1N1 infection from Cairo and Alexandria and both were transferred to hospital for treatment. Those cases put the total number of swine flu infections in Egypt at 10, the first of whom was an American Egyptian girl traveling to Egypt and diagnosed on 2 June.

Seven other cases were identified in the American University in Cairo?s dormitory in Zamalek, which has been quarantined since the identification of those cases on 8 June. Those positively diagnosed with virus A/H1N1 are being kept at the Abassiya Fever Hospital, Egypt?s main diseases and influenza testing spot. The hospital also houses now a group of people suspected of being infected, until their test results are out. Concerns over the hospital?s preparedness have been voiced by them.

?The room?s condition was terrible. It was dirty, mattresses were torn and there was no light,�? said Timothy Kaldas whose brother was kept there as he went to have an H1N1 test. ?The hospital is more dangerous than swine flu. I wanted to make the test myself but was too afraid of being infected.�?

Kaldas said there was no soap and toilet paper in the bathrooms of the rooms.

"Our medical team is working closely with the hospital?s administration and we?re responding to those issues,�? said Brian MacDougall, the American University in Cairo?s Vice Provost for Planning and Administration.

Listening to his account, Hussein Gohar, a medic running his private hospital, said he was not surprised. ?The Fevers Hospital is not even affiliated to a university, so it has very low public expenditure,�? he added.

Yet, according to him, a swine flu prevention measure would logically be to give some attention to the Fever Hospital, which is normally the hotspot in case of such outbreaks. ?The Ministry of Health opted for killing the pigs, when it could have spent some money on upgrading this hospital before cases are identified. We don?t have to wait until the crisis happens,�? he said.

In a press statement, Minister of Health Hatem al-Gebaly reiterated that his ministry is deploying all needed effort to contain the spread of the disease, while he advised people to maintain high hygienic practices and avoid crowded areas. He added that spotting the cases reflects the quality of the surveillance system in Egypt.

People were seen around Zamalek wearing face masks as potential prevention from the flu, which appears to have started to diffuse from there.
Working...
X