X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cairo's First Human Bird Flu Infection Confirmed [died]

Cairo's First Human Bird Flu Infection Confirmed

08 Apr 2007

Authorities in Egypt have confirmed that a girl, 15, is the first human to become infected with the bird flu virus in the capital, Cairo - the 34th human to become infected in the country so far.

The patient is called Marianna Kameel Mikhail, from the Shubra district, Cairo. She was hospitalized on April 5th. Doctors say she is in a 'stable' condition. According to the Egyptian news agency, MENA, she is being treated with the antiviral medication, Tamiflu.

Authorities say she had been in contact with sick birds prior to becoming ill.

13 people have so far died of bird flu in Egypt.

Scientists fear the H5N1 bird flu virus strain, the virulent one, will one day mutate and spread easily from human-to-human. This has not happened yet. Despite all the news about humans becoming ill, it is still extremely difficult for a bird to infect a person.

Written by: Christian Nordqvist
    Editor: Medical News Toady
    Article URL: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/heal...p?newsid=67331

Re: Cairo's First Human Bird Flu Infection Confirmed

This patient is not doing well, raising the possibility that the H5N1 has HA M230I and NA N294S.

Comment

15-year-old Egyptian girl diagnosed with deadly bird flu strain

The Associated Press
      Sunday, April 8, 2007

CAIRO, Egypt: A Cairo teenager has contracted the potentially deadly bird flu strain, bringing to 34 the number of people to be diagnosed with the disease since it appeared in this country last year, Egypt's state-run news agency said Sunday.
      Maryana Kameel Michael, 15, was admitted to a Cairo hospital on Thursday because she had a fever, Health Ministry spokesman Abdel Rahman Shahin told the state news agency, MENA.

MENA said Michael is in stable conditions after being treated with Tamiflu, a drug that is commonly used to treat the disease. She contracted the virus from domestic birds her family raises at home, MENA quoted Shahin as saying.
      Including Michael, 34 Egyptians have contracted the bird flu since February 2006. Of the 34, 13 have died. Most of those infected have been women or girls, who are usually the ones to take care of household chickens and turkeys.
      Since the outbreak of bird flu last year, Egypt has been one of the worst-affected countries outside Asia, where the disease originated. It lies on a main route for migratory birds, which are believed to have brought disease from Asia.
      Health officials worldwide worry the bird flu strain could mutate into a form that is easily spread from person to person, sparking a pandemic.

Comment

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Bird flu case # 34 for Egypt

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=article-author>Disease/Infection News</TD></TR><TR><TD class=article-date>Published: Sunday, 8-Apr-2007 </TD></TR><TR><TD><!-- Printer Friendly / Email to a Friend Links --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=15></TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD width=18></TD><TD>
        A 15-year-old Egyptian girl has become the country's 34th human victim of bird flu.

The teenager Marianna Kameel Mikhail from Cairo's Shubra district, was admitted to hospital on Thursday suffering from a high fever and has tested positive for the virus.
        She is being treated with with Tamiflu and is apparently in a stable condition; she had it seems been in contact with infected birds.
        Apart from Asia, Egypt has had the highest number of confirmed human bird flu cases and 13 Egyptians have succumbed to the deadly virus since it first appeared in the country's poultry a year ago.
        The first bird flu case in dead poultry appeared on February 17, 2006 and the virus then spread rapidly to 20 of the country's 26 provinces.
        The first human bird flu case was reported on March 18 last year.
        Most of the 34 cases have occurred in northern Egypt and almost all those affected had been in contact with sick or dead household birds.
        Egypt lies directly under major bird migration routes and the widespread practice of backyard domestic fowl has exacerbated the problem and contributed to the high human death toll.
        Out of the 34 human cases reported in Egypt to date, 13 have died, 18 have recovered while three are still being treated.
        </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD>
        A 15-year-old Egyptian girl has become the country's 34th human victim of bird flu.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Comment

Amazing that the global press is missing the bigger picture: We have a confirmed case, and an apparent serious case at that, in the capital of one of the world's largest cities (a population in excess of 16 million people). I wonder if this could be 1997 Hong Kong all over again. But this time, instead of easily identiable wet markets, we are looking at thousands of back yards as potential breeding grounds of flu.

Comment

Originally posted by scottmcpherson View Post
            Amazing that the global press is missing the bigger picture: We have a confirmed case, and an apparent serious case at that, in the capital of one of the world's largest cities (a population in excess of 16 million people). I wonder if this could be 1997 Hong Kong all over again. But this time, instead of easily identiable wet markets, we are looking at thousands of back yards as potential breeding grounds of flu.
            Hi Scott,

I haven't been following this for years like some folks have, but did MSM get excited when the first cases occurred in Jakarta?

It's useful to understand that many of the people reporting do not know as much as we do about influenza and tend to take whatever the country government health authority or WHO dishes out to them. There is just a handful of reporters around the world who know the score.
            Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

Comment

This girl's name struck me as not very Muslim sounding -- Marianna Kameel Mikhail -- so I started wondering if it is a Coptic name. I'm guessing it probably is -- "Mikhail" = Michael (obviously) -- not very many Muslim Michaels. (Note: the only reason I'm interested in whether she's Muslim or Coptic is because the Copts come from southern Egypt.)

Also, about the Shubra district where she's from:
              In the past, Shubra was much smaller, and more aristocratic. Now, it is home to millions of Egyptians in often-crowded conditions, most of whom belong to lower middle and lower classes. About 40% of the Shubra population are Coptic Christians, and many come from Upper and Lower Egypt to live there.

http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/shubra.htm
              Just contemplating a long-shot connection between this girl and all the bf in southern Egypt these days -- doesn't have to be any connection, of course -- I realize it's a (very) long-shot.
              ...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa42 View Post
                This girl's name struck me as not very Muslim sounding -- Marianna Kameel Mikhail -- so I started wondering if it is a Coptic name. I'm guessing it probably is -- "Mikhail" = Michael (obviously) -- not very many Muslim Michaels. (Note: the only reason I'm interested in whether she's Muslim or Coptic is because the Copts come from southern Egypt.)

Also, about the Shubra district where she's from:Just contemplating a long-shot connection between this girl and all the bf in southern Egypt these days -- doesn't have to be any connection, of course -- I realize it's a (very) long-shot.
                It is my understanding that the patient is coptic and not doing well (and therefore is likely to be from northern Egypt).

Comment

Originally posted by niman View Post
                  It is my understanding that the patient is coptic and not doing well (and therefore is likely to be from northern Egypt).
                  Sure -- I believe she's from northern Egypt (i.e. Cairo) -- I was just throwing the idea out there that she could've possibily had some contact with folks/poultry in/from southern Egypt. Doesn't have to be the case at all -- long-shot idea. Just raising the possibility.

Edit: Note that it is Easter week with the Copts in Egypt -- could've been some travelling/visiting during this week.
                  Last edited by Theresa42; April 8, 2007, 09:50 PM.
                  ...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa42 View Post
                    Sure -- I believe she's from northern Egypt (i.e. Cairo) -- I was just throwing the idea out there that she could've possibily had some contact with folks/poultry in/from southern Egypt. Doesn't have to be the case at all -- long-shot idea. Just raising the possibility.

Edit: Note that it is Easter week with the Copts in Egypt -- could've been some travelling/visiting during this week.
                    The cases in southern Egypt were mild. I believe this paient is in critical condition.

Comment

Commentary at

Comment

just hope it an isolated case.

Comment

15-Year-Old Egyptian Gets Bird Flu

Boston (eCanadaNow) - It was confirmed by the Egyptian Health Ministry that a 15-year-old girl tested positive from the H5N1 bird flu virus in the capital of Cairo.
                          This is the first case to occur in the capital of Egypt, Cairo. It is also the 34th case of the bird flu in Egypt since the outbreaks began. The spokesman for the ministry Abdel-Rahman Shahin stated that the 15-year-old girl was named Maryana Kamil Mikhael. She came from the district in Cairo known as Shubra.
                          The girl was admitted to the hospital on Thursday after having signs of the bird flu including a very high fever. She came into contact with birds who were already infected with the virus.
                          She has since been treated with Tamiflu and is now recovering. It does not look like she is in any danger as of this point as she is in stable condition.

Comment

Originally posted by niman View Post
                            She has since been treated with Tamiflu and is now recovering. It does not look like she is in any danger as of this point as she is in stable condition.

http://www.ecanadanow.com/science/he...gets-bird-flu/
                            Although other media reports have described the patient as "stable", a number of prior fatal H5N1 cases were initially described as "stable".

Similarly, earlier fatal cases this season were treated with Tamiflu, but the patients were not "recovering" and they died following treatment.

Comment

Bird flu hit Shubra and wound <34 victim>

Tarek wrote Secretary April 9, 2007

Reached avian influenza to the district of Shubra, on the night of Passover, the Ministry of Health has announced yesterday the human infection of 34 to a girl Coptic 15 years old, and the labs central Ministry of Health and labs American naval NMRO 3 confirmed the injury Marina Camille Mikhail 15 from Shubra, HIV [H5N1], the cause of disease, avian influenza, as a result Mkhalttha birds home afflicted with the disease.

The statement said : The Ministry of MARINA entered Abbasiya Hospital issued last Thursday, suffering from a high temperature, following exposure to birds suspected of being infected with the disease.

He added that the situation is stable, having been given the necessary treatment, as the competent authorities are the epidemiological investigation of all family members.

For his part, Dr. Hatim al-Jabali, minister of health, the rate of cure of the disease in Egypt amounted to 65&#37;, while the rate of recovery in countries that have the casualties reached 32%, pointing out that the recovery of the last 13 cases.

Last edited by Theresa42; April 9, 2007, 06:48 PM. Reason: Edited for formatting

Comment

Working...
                              X