Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSF warns Liberia Ebola 'progress' could be illusory

MSF warns Liberia Ebola 'progress' could be illusory

Health authorities called Thursday for renewed vigilance over the Ebola epidemic and caution over claims it is retreating as the World Bank announced a $100-million fund for more health workers.

Global aid agency Doctors Without Borders urged caution Thursday over claims of a slowdown in infections in Ebola-hit Liberia, saying the apparent drop could be due to poor management of the sick.

The warning follows an announcement by the World Health Organization (WHO) that data from a range of sources including funeral directors and treatment centres indicated lower admission rates and burials.

But the medical charity, known by its French initials MSF, warned that "mandatory cremation of dead bodies and a poor ambulance and referral system could also be reasons for this decrease in admissions".

"It is too soon to draw conclusions on the reduction of Ebola cases in Monrovia," Fasil Tezera, MSF head of mission in Liberia, said in a statement.

"While the number of admissions in MSF's 250-bed Monrovia Ebola centre have dropped to around 80, we do not have a full picture of the extent of the outbreak and estimates might not be reliable."

An MSF spokeswoman in Dakar told AFP many people in the capital were calling the Ebola hotline to report that they were sick but were not being picked up because of a lack of ambulances and were going missing from the statistics.

snip

Re: MSF warns Liberia Ebola 'progress' could be illusory

Are there any numbers on how many people have left town to void becoming infected? Are increasing cases elsewhere including non-residents?

"The next major advancement in the health of American people will be determined by what the individual is willing to do for himself"-- John Knowles, Former President of the Rockefeller Foundation

Comment

Re: MSF warns Liberia Ebola 'progress' could be illusory

Liberia's numbers are out of whack. When they went to the new reporting format, they decreased the number of deaths reported by ~600, but dramatically increased the number of cases. That means that there are over 2,500 cases that are either in treatment or for which no outcome has been reported. Just yesterday, the MoH website became unavailable due to bandwidth exceedance. Based on reports from Guinea and Sierra Leone, I would be very surprised if conditions are improving in Liberia at this point.
      "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Comment

Working...
      X