Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Health care workers: how to put on and take off personal equipment to protect from Ebola (WHO)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Health care workers: how to put on and take off personal equipment to protect from Ebola (WHO)

Health care workers: how to put on and take off personal equipment to protect from Ebola:

"Safety and security don't just happen, they are the result of collective consensus and public investment. We owe our children, the most vulnerable citizens in our society, a life free of violence and fear."
    -Nelson Mandela

Re: Health care workers: how to put on and take off personal equipment to protect from Ebola (WHO)

August 18, 2014

Sequence for Putting On and Removing Personal Protective Equipment:

"Safety and security don't just happen, they are the result of collective consensus and public investment. We owe our children, the most vulnerable citizens in our society, a life free of violence and fear."
    -Nelson Mandela

Comment

Re: Health care workers: how to put on and take off personal equipment to protect from Ebola (WHO)

The WHO's advice for removing PPEs is much better, in my opinion. That is how surgeons who work in heavily contaminated environments take off their gear, they shed it like the skin of a snake- inside out & intact. Looking at the CDC guidelines makes me cringe. When one takes off that second glove, it requires placing a clean finger beneath a dirty glove on a dirty gown, grabbing the glove and peeling it off. You've just contaminated your fingertips, and to make matters worse probably gotten germs under the fingernails. I'd only use that method if I double-gloved, taking one pair off at a time, but even then I'd still be leaving/acquiring germs at the cuff, just in a lesser amount.

Comment

Do they test PPE usage with invisible transferrable liquids? It would be similar to what law enforcement uses to prove someone stole something. A "pretend" patient could smear some in places likely to have body fluids, then after the PPE have been "safely" removed the HCW is scanned with a black light - contaminated areas glow.

"The next major advancement in the health of American people will be determined by what the individual is willing to do for himself"-- John Knowles, Former President of the Rockefeller Foundation

Comment

Originally posted by Pathfinder View Post
          August 18, 2014

Sequence for Putting On and Removing Personal Protective Equipment:

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/pdf/ppe-poster.pdf
          The link does not work anymore. Deleted?
          -Nelson Mandela

Comment

Working...
          X