• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Louisiana - Oystermen say harvest at an all-time low

Oystermen say harvest at an all-time low

wwltv.com
    Posted on November 19, 2013 at 10:26 PM
    Updated yesterday at 10:40 PM
    ?It's 98 percent off this year. That's the lowest I've ever seen it,? said George Barisich, president of the United Commercial Fisherman?s Association.

Barisich believes seeing lingering effects of the BP oil disaster are impacting oyster landings. He said dispersed oil made it impossible for spat to catch on reefs, so few new oysters could grow.

?It's like a Teflon coating on my reef. My reefs are 60 years old and I have no spat catch at all,? he said.

"Oyster landings since the Deepwater Horizon oil spill have been significantly lower than pre-spill averages. The impacts from the spill to natural resources, including oysters, are still being investigated," said Rene LeBreton, public information director for the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries, Office of Fisheries.

Three years after the BP spill, mature oysters have been harvested with little left to replace them, said Barisich.
    "Safety and security don't just happen, they are the result of collective consensus and public investment. We owe our children, the most vulnerable citizens in our society, a life free of violence and fear."
    -Nelson Mandela
Working...
X