• Show
Clear All

• Fear, anger and tears at oil spill town hall meeting

Fear, anger and tears at oil spill town hall meeting

by Bill Capo / Eyewitness News
    wwltv.com
    Posted on May 13, 2010 at 6:17 PM
    Updated today at 6:17 PM

PORT SULPHUR, La. ― Plaquemines Parish residents, business owners and fishermen met in Port Sulphur, La., on Thursday to question officials about the impact of the oil spill on their lives, including how their health will be affected.

That?s not all that was questioned.

Residents were concerned, as well, with damage claims payments, which they said aren?t keeping up with family and business budgets. BP, they said, aren?t putting enough local fisherman to work on the cleanup.

But their health was first and foremost what they wanted answers about.

"Can you reassure me that three years, five years, ten years from now that I will not be sitting in Children's Hospital, holding my baby's hand?" Home Place resident Brenda Hynes asked.

Added Irene Walker, ?It is causing me to where I can't breathe, so I know there is something in the air.?

To that end, EPA Emergency Response spokeswoman Mathy Stanislaus said they?re testing air quality, calling it a concern of the EPA.

Residents also were wary of the chemical dispersants being used to break up the oil, namely wondering how they would affect the sea life the area depends on.

Coast Guard Captain Ed Stanton said officials make their decision on whether to use the dispersant or not based on breaking the oil up in a ?large body of water and the effect of the oil coming ashore.?

"We are looking at the potential for cultural genocide," one Grand Bayou resident said. "This is not only where we work to get our moneys, our revenues; we eat what's in the water."

/.../
    "Safety and security don't just happen, they are the result of collective consensus and public investment. We owe our children, the most vulnerable citizens in our society, a life free of violence and fear."
    -Nelson Mandela
Working...
X