Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mass swarm of dead fish in Atlantic prompts European inquiry - catch dumped by trawler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mass swarm of dead fish in Atlantic prompts European inquiry - catch dumped by trawler

https://fox40.com/news/national-and-...opean-inquiry/
    Mass swarm of dead fish in Atlantic prompts European inquiry

by: Associated Press
    Posted: Feb 5, 2022 / 09:12 PM PST / Updated: Feb 5, 2022 / 09:12 PM PST
    PARIS (AP) — France and the European Union are investigating why a massive swarm of dead fish was released by a huge trawler in the Atlantic Ocean off France, after an environmental group released dramatic video and photos of the incident.

The images by the group Sea Shepherd show a blanket of dead blue whiting fish floating on the surface of the Bay of Biscay, off the coast of southwest France. The group estimates it held some 100,000 dead fish.

Struck by the “shocking” images, French Maritime Minister Annick Girardin tweeted Friday that she ordered the National Center for Fishing Surveillance to investigate what happened...

Ask Congress to Investigate COVID Origins and Government Response to Pandemic H.R. 834

i love myself. the quietest. simplest. most powerful. revolution ever. ---- nayyirah waheed

(My posts are not intended as advice or professional assessments of any kind.)
    Never forget Excalibur.

bump this

Comment

https://newswwc.com/world/united-kin...ast-of-france/

The Dutch owner of FV Margiris said it was a ‘rare’ accident – caused because the sheer weight of the haul caused the net to rupture.

But activists at Sea Shepherd France claimed the trawler simply dumped fish it did not want to process, in breach of EU rules.

The group’s head, Lamya Essemlali, said: ‘The temptation is big for these vessels at sea without any witness, any control, to just throw overboard all the bycatch [fish they did not mean to capture] and stay in the area, and keep on fishing
      ?The only security we have is our ability to adapt."

Comment

Working...
      X