Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nigeria: Poisonous water still sending Ogoni residents to early graves — despite clean-up promise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nigeria: Poisonous water still sending Ogoni residents to early graves — despite clean-up promise

Source: https://www.thecable.ng/poisonous-wa...ean-up-promise

Poisonous water still sending Ogoni residents to early graves — despite clean-up promise
    September 23 2020 20:55
    by Abiose Adelaja Adams

Dressed in a red polo shirt carrying the clear message “No Cleanup, No Justice”, Emmah Pii, the village head of Deebon in Bodo community, Gokana local government area of Rivers state, looked more like an activist than a local chief. For him, being alive is a rare smile of fortune as he had almost passed out the previous night.
    Advertisement

“You are lucky to see me alive. As you are see me, I’m just a moving corpse. I was passing watery stool throughout the night because of the bad water I drank,” Pii said in a weak tone.

“Pollution is killing us. Two of my classmates are being buried today. If not for the way I’m feeling, I am supposed to attend their burial. In this village, we bury 10 people every week. You cannot live in this place, breathe this air and drink this water and live well as a person. As you are seeing the people here, they are not well at all.”...
Working...
X