[Source: Centre for Health Protection, Hong Kong PRC SAR, View Original Article.]
The Centre for Health Protection (CHP) of the Department of Health today (October 11) reminded members of the public and management of institutions to maintain strict personal and environmental hygiene to prevent gastroenteritis.
The appeal was made following the CHP's investigation into an acute gastroenteritis outbreak in a residential home for children in Sham Shui Po. The affected included 25 boys aged from eight to 14 and two male staff.
They had developed symptoms of gastroenteritis, including abdominal pain, diarrhea, vomiting and fever since October 7. All the affected have sought medical consultation. None required hospitalisation. All are in stable condition.
Officers of the CHP have visited the institution and provided health advice to the staff concerning proper disinfection, disposal of vomitus and faecal matter, as well as personal and environmental hygiene. Investigation continues.
The CHP will closely monitor the institution for further cases and provide health advice when necessary.
To prevent gastroenteritis, members of the public are advised to:
- Ensure proper personal hygiene;
- Wash hands thoroughly before handling food and eating, and after using the toilet;
- Wear gloves when disposing of vomitus or faeces, and wash hands afterwards;
- Clean and disinfect contaminated areas or items promptly and thoroughly with household bleach diluted at a ratio of 1:50 (by adding one part household bleach to 49 parts water);
- Maintain good indoor ventilation; and
- Avoid food that is not thoroughly cooked.