• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Botswana - 12 dead, 59 hospitalized due to water contaminated with E. coli

Diarrhoea kills 12!
    Written by Echo Online Friday, 04 April 2014 00:00

Diarrhoea kills 12!
    At least 12 people in Kanye are reported to have died while the other 59 are in hospitalised following the outbreak of Diarrhoea linked to Water Utilities Corporation?s (WUC) contaminated water.Investigations by both WUC and the Council?s Environmental Health have revealed a presence of Escherichia coli (E.coli), indicating an intrusion of intestinal organisms in the water.

E.coli is a poisonous bacterium that is highly poisonous to the human body.
    The death of 12 people in Kanye comes hardly a year after the United States of America (USA) Embassy in Gaborone released a public statement casting doubts on the safety of the country?s water for drinking purposes.
    The Adventist Hospital in Kanye have notified this publication that during the beginning of March 2014, they have admitted many people with diarrhoea with the most affected being the 59 babies under the age of five years.
    A Principal Nursing Officer at the Hospital, Keabitswa Ramantele said among the 59 babies who were admitted, five have since died.
    Ramantele also revealed that the majority of patients visiting their hospital are complaining of stomach cramps and nausea.
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Re: Botswana - 12 dead, 59 hospitalized due to water contaminated with E. coli

DIARRHOEA CLAIMS THE LIVES OF SIXTEEN CHILDREN

FRIDAY, 25 APRIL, 2014 - 08:00

Health authorities say at least 16 children under the age of five have died from diarrhoea in Ngamiland since the beginning of this year.
    They say more than 1960 cases have been reported over the same period.
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Working...
    X