• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zimbabwe: 2014 Diarrhoeal diseases- 856 deaths recorded to date

Source: http://www.thestandard.co.zw/2014/03...ea-claims-132/

Diarrhoea claims 132
    March 9, 2014 in News

OVER 130 people died of diarrhoeal diseases countrywide since the beginning of the year, a government weekly disease surveillance report has revealed.

BY PHYLLIS MBANJE

The latest report by the Ministry of Health and Child Care for the week ending February 23, says 132 people died of common diarrhoea in the past two months with almost 50% of that figure being children under the age of five years.

The report says on average over 12 000 cases of diarrhoea were recorded weekly throughout the country with most cases coming from Manicaland province.

The Health ministry said 17 deaths and 12 412 cases of diarrhoea were recorded for the week ending February 16.

The deaths were reported from Bindura district in Mashonaland Central province (2), Bubi district in Matebeleland North province (1), Gokwe South district in Midlands province (4), Zvimba district in Mashonaland West province (2), Harare?s Parirenyatwa Group of Hospitals (4) and Chitungwiza Central Hospital (2)...

Re: Zimbabwe: 2014 Diarrhoeal diseases- 130+ deaths recorded to date

Diarrhoea, malaria wreck havoc
    April 4th, 2014
    Staff reporter -

The ministry of Health and Child Care says it recorded 26 diarrhoea deaths and 13 197 cases in week 11 of 2014, bringing the total of those killed by the disease since January to 200.

According to the weekly report on epidemic, prone diseases and public health, of the reported cases, 6 403 and nine deaths were from children under five years.
    The report also revealed that clinical dysentery cases during the week under review stood at 972, with two deaths recorded.
    Meanwhile, malaria has claimed 165 lives since the beginning of the year with week 11 recording 19 989 cases and 19 deaths.
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Re: Zimbabwe: 2014 Diarrhoeal diseases- 200+ deaths recorded to date

51 succumb to diarrhoea
      April 26th, 2014

Staff Reporter -

At least 51 people have died of diarrhoea in week 13 and 14 of this year bringing the cumulative deaths from diarrhoea to 258, the Ministry of Health and Child Care’s (Mohcc) weekly report on epidemiology and prone diseases has revealed.

Of this total, 16 deaths and 10 563 reported cases were of children under the age of five.

According to the report, the provinces which recorded the highest number of cases were Manicaland and Mashonaland East province.

In week 13, Manicaland recorded 2 013 cases and 1 792 in week 14 while Mashonaland east recorded 1 710 and 1 514 cases respectively.
      The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Re: Zimbabwe: 2014 Diarrhoeal diseases- 258 deaths recorded to date

Common diarrhoea claims over 300 countrywide
        17/05/2014 00:00:00
        by Staff Reporter

ZIMBABWE'S poor water treatment system is reported to have caused the deaths of over 300 citizens countrywide, the majority being urban dwellers and young children.

The state media reports that a total of 328 citizens have died since January this year through common diarrhoea which has been linked to drinking treated but contaminated water.

An additional 190 500 plus have also received treatment for the disease, in a country with fresh memories of the 2008-2009 cholera outbreak that claimed over 4 000 vulnerable citizens.
        NewZimbabwe.com – The Zimbabwe News You Trust is Zimbabwe’s leading online newspaper and published by New Zimbabwe Media Ltd. The platform brings you the latest breaking News, Business, Showbiz, Sports, Diaspora and gives you everything you’ve come to expect and love.

Comment

Re: Zimbabwe: 2014 Diarrhoeal diseases- 328 deaths recorded to date

19 succumb to diarrhoea
          June 3rd, 2014

STAFF REPORTER -

At least 19 people have succumbed to diarrhoea during week 20 of this year while the total diarrhoea cases reported during the same week stood at 11 058, the government has revealed.

According to the weekly report on epidemic and prone diseases, of the reported cases 6 748, which constitute 61% of the total reported cases and nine deaths, were from the under-five years of age.

The deaths were reported from Marondera, Bindura, Tsholotsho district, Chegutu, Bulawayo City, and Harare Central Hospital.

As usual, the provinces which reported the highest number of diarrhoea cases are Manicaland which recorded 1 981 and Mashonaland Central which recorded 1 774 cases.

However, the majority of deaths were recorded in Bindura, Mashonaland Central which recorded 10 deaths bringing the cumulative figure for diarrhoea cases to 211 428 and 353 deaths.

Comment

Re: Zimbabwe: 2014 Diarrhoeal diseases- 353 deaths recorded to date

Source: http://allafrica.com/stories/201406040278.html

The Herald (Harare)
            Zimbabwe: Diarrhoea Outbreak Hits Chinhoyi
            By Walter Nyamukondiwa, 4 June 2014

Chinhoyi ? A diarrhoea outbreak has hit Chinhoyi with about 1 000 cases recorded in the last three weeks, amid fears that the bug could result in fatalities.

The outbreak, which is being blamed on the rota virus, started about three weeks ago.

About 309 cases were recorded last week, with 202 of them being children under the age of five...

Comment

603 die from common diarrhoea

Published: 18 hours ago by Staff Reporter (60 Views)

THE GOVERNMENT says common diarrhoea has claimed 603 lives since the beginning of this year and 18 of the deaths occurred in one week.
              "The cumulative figure for diarrhoea cases is 376 533 and 603 deaths," the report said.
              "The cumulative figure for malaria is 471 966 cases and 600 deaths," the report said. "A total of 1 485 malaria cases and four deaths were reported this week. Of the cases reported 322 and two deaths were of the under age
              of five years."
              "The cumulative figure for typhoid is 388 suspected cases, 57 confirmed cases and nine deaths since the beginning of the years," the report states.
              - See more at: http://harare24.com/index-id-News-zk....JNA57ohu.dpuf

Comment

Diarrhoea claims 856 lives
                December 17th, 2014

STAFF REPORTER -

Diarrhoea has so far claimed 856 lives and infected 551 271 people since the beginning of 2014, the Health and Child Care surveillance report for week 48 has revealed.
                Meanwhile, the total diarrhoea cases reported during week 48 were 10 654 with 24 deaths.

Of the reported cases 5 668 and 12 deaths were from the under-five years of age.

Comment

Working...
                X