• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zimbabwe - Diarrhoea 2013

'Two children died of diarrhoea'
    by Staff Reporter
    14 November 2013 | 926 Views

Deputy Minister of Health and Child Care, Dr Paul Chimedza
    Two of the three children who died after taking medication under the on-going mass drug administration programme for bilharzia succumbed to diarrhoea, a preliminary investigation has revealed.

The Ministry of Health and Child Care says the full report is expected to be made public in the next three weeks.

Addressing journalists in the capital, the Deputy Minister of Health and Child Care, Dr Paul Chimedza, who expressed grief at the death of the three children, said the ministry is still collating information on the number of children who developed side effects after taking the drugs.
    Two of the three children who died after taking medication under the on-going mass drug administration programme for bilharzia succumbed to diarrhoea, a preli...
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Re: Zimbabwe - Two children died of diarrhoea

Immunisation deaths: Findings inconclusive
    November 15, 2013 in Health, National, News

HEALTH and Child Care deputy minister Dr Paul Chimedza yesterday said preliminary findings into the cause of death of two of the three children who died last month after taking drugs to prevent bilharzia and intestinal worms showed that they had succumbed to salmonella poisoning, diarrhoea and vomiting.

VENERANDA LANGA,SENIOR PARLIAMENTARY REPORTER

He, however, said the findings were not conclusive as health experts were still carrying out further investigations to establish the cause of death.

Chimedza told journalists at a Press conference in Harare that officials from his ministry failed to carry out a post-mortem on the third as he had already been buried.

?Unfortunately, when we ordered investigations one of the children had already been buried, but our officials managed to get to the other two children before they were buried and we ordered postmortems and investigations were done,? Chimedza said.

?On one child, preliminary reports showed that they died of salmonella poisoning, diarrhoea and vomiting due to bacterial infection, while the second child also died due to diarrhoea and vomiting, but the infection was not established.?
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Re: Zimbabwe - Two children died of diarrhoea

DIARRHOEA KILLS 440 CHILDREN IN ZIM
      Wednesday, November 27, 2013 NewsdzeZimbabwe
      HARARE - At least 440 children under the age of five have died of diarrhoeal diseases this year, the minister of Health and Child Care has said.

David Parirenyatwa said the country has been experiencing an increased number of diarrhoea cases in recent years.?These cases are more prevalent in children aged five years and below and are a major cause of deaths in that age group,? the minister told journalists on Tuesday at his offices in Harare.

"This year alone, over 48 000 cases and 440 deaths from common diarrhoea have been reported countrywide. The deaths reported have happened in health facilities with diarrhoea as the cause of death.?Dysentery has accounted to date 40 756 cases and 59 deaths while typhoid cases reported in 2013 were 1 475.

Diarrhoea kills 440 children
      27/11/2013 by Zimelection Freeandfair
      Human Rights Watch (HRW) recently warned in a reported entitled: ?Troubled Water: Burst Pipes, Contaminated Wells, and Open Defecation in Zimbabwe?s Capital? that Zimbabwe?s capital was at risk of another cholera outbreak.?
      HRW said that 70 percent of rural households in Zimbabwe do not have proper sanitation facilities and 40 percent defecate in the open.
      Dewa Mavhinga, HRW?s senior researcher, said government?s failure to avail potable water, proper sanitation or safe alternatives has driven the public into using contaminated sources of water and defecating in open spaces.

Comment

Re: Zimbabwe - Diarrhoea 2013

26 people die from diarrhoea in one week
        by Staff Reporter
        12 January 2014 | 1213 Views

Twenty-six people died of diarrhoeal diseases countrywide in one week alone during the festive season, a weekly disease surveillance report has revealed.

According to the report, 16 died of common diarrhoea while 10 others died from dysentery in week ending December 26.

The majority of the diarrhoea deaths were recorded in Gutu in Masvingo while most of the dysentery cases were recorded in Hurungwe in Mashonaland West province.

An additional 6 415 people were treated of diarrhoea while 729 were treated of dysentery in the same week.

Furthermore, 28 cases of typhoid were reported in Nyanga, Manicaland where an outbreak was reported a few weeks earlier.
        Twenty-six people died of diarrhoeal diseases countrywide in one week alone during the festive season, a weekly disease surveillance report has revealed. Accord...

Comment

Working...
        X